Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Scotland is so wee,,poor and stupid ,why DO WM aka the ENGLISH parliament want so desperately to hold onto us

(302 Posts)
paddyann54 Sat 26-Nov-22 21:05:48

After all they dont EVER have a good word to say about us ...and that includes their unionist "SCOTS" who it seems are delighted to tell us that we cant do anything right

Answers on a postage stamp ...or a postcard if you can find a true reason

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 22:28:12

Except the tartan – that was a product of the Yorkshire woollen industry
That is, I believe, a myth.

Tartan has an ancient history. The earliest known tartan in Scotland can be dated to the third or fourth century AD. In other parts of the world, tartan cloth has been found dating to approximately 3000 BC. Virtually everywhere there was woven cloth, people created tartan designs

volver Sat 26-Nov-22 22:28:45

THIS IS SHOUTING.

THIS is emphasis.

😉

BigBertha1 Sat 26-Nov-22 22:36:17

Paddyann have you stopped taking the tablets?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 26-Nov-22 22:38:28

I have used capitals in posts to emphasise something and I think that is exactly what Paddyanne is doing so need to be rude to her Bigberthal.

MaizieD Sat 26-Nov-22 23:22:49

Casdon

Lucca

MaizieD

IrishDancing

I think the responses only say that they’re fed up being shouted at - by anybody, about anything!

I think most long term posters, which includes some responders, are perfectly used to paddyann's style by now. No need to be rude to her...

Hear hear but it is the go to response for some.

Shouty capitals in posts are consciously designed to put peoples backs up though, which is also rude and unnecessary.

Casdon*, our Scottish friend has been doing this for years. (or should that be YEARS...)

As I said, reasonably long term posters know this, she's never going to change.

Blossoming Sat 26-Nov-22 23:28:38

I have mixed feelings about this as I have lived in Scotland and England and have family both sides of the Solway. I’m living in England now and will probably die here, so will leave the discussion to those currently living in Scotland.

I take issue with Westminster being called the English parliament though, as it has MPs from NI, Scotland and Wales. I think there should be an English parliament with similar powers to the Scottish one, and an overall senate type assembly for matters that affect the UK as a whole. We could abolish the House of Lords at the same time.

Ziplok Sat 26-Nov-22 23:34:03

aye up paddy, tha’s reight funny, tha knaws 😂😂😂😂

Ziplok Sat 26-Nov-22 23:45:42

I’ll tell thee summat else, paddy, there’s a lot of Scots in Westminster, too. Had a fair few Scottish (at least if their surnames are to be believed) , prime ministers, too - Brown, Blair, Cameron to name a recent few. If Westminster (and England ) is so damned awful, I wonder why so many Scot’s want a prime role in running the UK?

Ziplok Sat 26-Nov-22 23:47:32

(from Westminster)., I meant to add.

volver Sat 26-Nov-22 23:50:21

Ziplok

I’ll tell thee summat else, paddy, there’s a lot of Scots in Westminster, too. Had a fair few Scottish (at least if their surnames are to be believed) , prime ministers, too - Brown, Blair, Cameron to name a recent few. If Westminster (and England ) is so damned awful, I wonder why so many Scot’s want a prime role in running the UK?

David Cameron, Scottish?

Aye, right. 😂😂😂😂

Rosie51 Sun 27-Nov-22 00:02:36

Scotland does make good Whisky,
But Ireland makes even better Whiskey.....

Grammaretto Sun 27-Nov-22 00:19:40

David Cameron liked to call on his Scottish ancestry when it suited him but it's a dangerous road. Donald Trump's really had a Scottish mother.

All irrelevant except if we realise we are all one nation, good and bad. We could separate but it would be a painful extraction.
The referendum debate seems to bring out the worst in people.

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 00:44:33

It's weird that capitals somehow means shouting

Like, do people read it out loud?

I just assume it's emphasis

In regard to OP, I don't know

I'm not keen on English people either and I am one

Rosie51 Sun 27-Nov-22 00:59:36

I'm not keen on English people either and I am one so that's the vast population of the UK then VS. What exactly makes you "not keen" on the English? You don't think you're being xenophobic at all? How would your, presumably predominately, English pupils feel, knowing you're already biased against them? Do you share this opinion with them?

paddyann54 Sun 27-Nov-22 01:10:40

It IS and always has been an English parliament ,do the sums.
There isn't a cats chance in hell of any of the other nations getting heard when there are 10 times more ENGLISH MP's than therest of us put together,
Perhaps that fact escaped you.
I assume no one has found the right answer,haven't read all the posts just some righteous fools who know nothing about Scotland.
FACT ...Scotland is rich in energy -England NEEDS energy
Scotland has a never ending supply of good fresh water- Loch Ness holds MORE water than all the fresh water lakes in England and thats just ONE of hundreds - England NEEDS water
Scotland has over 90% of Oil and Gas in our waters -more if we get back the stolen waters signed over to Blair from Donald Dewer the night before Devolution
To clarify that ,the "English section of the North sea used to begin around the Scottish border as you would expect
NOW it begins off St Andrews .now what magic is it that handed several oilfields to our neighbours .I dont know how St Andrews feels about having English waters off their shore bt I know it makes me angry
It would be good if folk found time to get facts .
FACT ....Scotlands finances pay the interest on Englands debts
Is this all too much for you when you believed YOU were subsidising US ?

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 01:59:55

No PaddyAnne I am perfectly capable of doing sums. It is not an English parliament as long as MPs from NI, Wales and Scotland get to vote in it.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 06:30:41

Grammaretto

David Cameron liked to call on his Scottish ancestry when it suited him but it's a dangerous road. Donald Trump's really had a Scottish mother.

All irrelevant except if we realise we are all one nation, good and bad. We could separate but it would be a painful extraction.
The referendum debate seems to bring out the worst in people.

We're not one nation. Scotland is a nation. Folk might find that fact difficult to acknowledge. But fact it is.

Kandinsky Sun 27-Nov-22 06:47:24

But Scotland had a referendum less than 10 years ago, the majority voted to remain in the UK.
You can’t have a referendum on something so massive every 8 years.
If you want to get angry, get angry at your fellow Scots who voted to remain back in 2014.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 07:34:14

We should stop talking about "leave or remain" in this context. It was "yes or no".

You're thinking of a whole different referendum. 😉

TerriBull Sun 27-Nov-22 08:41:17

"I'm nor keen on the English either" blanket statement there VS, regarding a population pertaining to roughly 60 million people, encompassing many ethnicities. I think it would be informative if you could elaborate what it is that evokes such distaste. Is it for example, the excessive attachment to tea, using it as a prop in a time of crisis, the spectacle of Morris Dancing, droning on about the weather, saying sorry too frequently. I guarantee if you chucked that comment in about any other nationality, it wouldn't just pass with just one remark from Rosie above. So please, do come back and let us know what it is about your fellow English person you don't like and whether any of those characteristics are maybe just relevant to the 20 or so people who piss you off on a day to day basis, I guess we all have those, rather than 55 to 60 odd million people who you have yet to encounter, who you may or may not find agreeable. Then again if you were to relocate to somewhere else in the world you might just find you have that same vague feeling of "I'm not keen on these people" I'd keep that to yourself though, because you may find not everyone tolerates xenophobia. Oh well I suppose at least you've come to the right place to express you anti English sentiments.

eazybee Sun 27-Nov-22 08:57:44

In response to the original question, it is simply that we have a duty of care to those less fortunate than ourselves.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 08:59:11

I don't mind the English at all. In fact I married one.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 08:59:41

eazybee

In response to the original question, it is simply that we have a duty of care to those less fortunate than ourselves.

Cheeky besom.

tickingbird Sun 27-Nov-22 09:04:56

I'm not keen on English people either and I am one

Racist or what?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Nov-22 09:09:33

All and sundry are happy to comment, usually detrimental, on Westminster, it’s MPs and it’s politics however any comments regarding Nicola Sturgeon or the Scottish Government well …