Gransnet forums

News & politics

A certain book

(585 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 11-Jan-23 08:48:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fleurpepper Wed 11-Jan-23 08:53:11

It will fly off the shelves in the USA, for sure.

GrannyLaine Wed 11-Jan-23 09:03:02

This one?
Most of the crowds around bookshops seem to be photographers...

Zoejory Wed 11-Jan-23 09:08:41

I doubt it's flying off anyone's shelves.
Yesterday; book shops were opening at midnight. Shops in London had queues of 1. Breakfast TV had a reporter and saw 3 customers in 2 hours.

I imagine most people will have ordered the book from Amazon .

Can't wait for the interest die down. I actually dreamt of Harry . More of a nightmare

nanna8 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:11:19

We’ve heard most of it on tv and seen it in the papers, don’t need to buy it. Anyway it’s Summer here now, why would you waste your time?

CatsCatsCats Wed 11-Jan-23 09:14:54

One cheering fact I heard yesterday. Happy Valley viewing ratings beat the interview ratings hands down on Sunday evening.

Lucca Wed 11-Jan-23 09:15:23

We may just have had threads …and threads…and threads about this. Anyone got anything new to say about it ??

OnwardandUpward Wed 11-Jan-23 09:16:35

On the news they showed empty book shops....

I personally don't know anyone who has read it or is even tempted to read it.

I am not going to buy it or read it.

I can't imagine who will read it? There are so many amazing things in life we could all be doing, so who is going to choose that???

Witzend Wed 11-Jan-23 09:16:52

I look forward to hearing that many thousands of copies have been remaindered, and then preferably pulped.

I certainly won’t be buying it, and nor will anyone else I’ve seen recently.

OnwardandUpward Wed 11-Jan-23 09:20:19

I hope H has planted some trees to make up for this waste of wood.

Farzanah Wed 11-Jan-23 09:23:13

At least some of the profits are reportedly going to charity.

Witzend Wed 11-Jan-23 09:24:54

Actually, I do know someone who will probably buy it - an old friend of a dd, who honestly never reads anything but the likes of Hello! magazine, and similar celebrity gossip.

Sarah75 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:25:04

Bert’s bookshop in Swindon grin

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:25:51

grin

Doodledog Wed 11-Jan-23 09:26:58

Well, it is the best-selling NF book of all time (based on pre-release sales), and if you include fiction it has only been beaten by Harry Potter.

I won't be reading it, people on this thread my not be reading it, but there is no denying the interest.

LondonMzFitz Wed 11-Jan-23 09:27:24

Audible version for me. Sensationalist headlines give nothing of the despair, resignation in Harry's voice as he reads. I do wish people would ignore the rubbish on the red tops. I found a comment yesterday on Twitter showing 8 red top front pages from 2013 about Harry killing Taliban. This was reported 9 years ago, front pages, and yet because it's in the book it's presented by the Media as New News.

If you just read the headlines you miss the nuances of the book. But it's to each individuals choice to read or not, isn't it?

volver Wed 11-Jan-23 09:30:18

I posted that picture LondonMzFitz but it was just ignored. Doesn't fit the story, you see.

So the conversation has rather gone like this, hasn't it...?

"It'll never sell, it'll be in the remainder bin, 3 for £1, I bet the publisher regrets it."

400,000 sales in the UK on the first day, fastest selling non-fiction book ever. Top of Amazon and Barnes and Noble pre-order lists in the US.

But there were no queues!! (Try Amazon. Try audio books... 🤦🏼)

maddyone Wed 11-Jan-23 09:30:50

It’s not for me. Not even if it was the last book in the world.

volver Wed 11-Jan-23 09:34:20

Its not for me either. Wouldn't read it if someone gave it to me for free.

But I'm not having paroxysms of pique trying to pretend its not popular.

Urmstongran Wed 11-Jan-23 09:35:32

Well the charity shops will be deluged with them soon enough. It was the same with the ‘50 Shades’ books! Pick up a copy from them for 50p. If you want to read it at all.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:39:55

Non fictiongrin. I don't care how popular it is and there's no way of knowing how many buying the book are doing so out of support or because it's so hard to believe, they just want to see it for themselves.

volver Wed 11-Jan-23 09:41:47

Yeah, maybe.

They're still buying it though. Contrary to so much that has been said on here to try to make out it will be a failure.

volver Wed 11-Jan-23 09:42:27

Oh, and why are you laughing at non-fiction?

LRavenscroft Wed 11-Jan-23 09:45:50

Being very old school, I just feel that it is a very sad and tragic event making money out of what was your family and life and the legacy of Queen Elizabeth II. The British Monarchy has been there for a thousand years. Harry would be wiser to ride off into the Hollywood sunset and take his problems with him. We all have enough of our own in the world - war, famine, corruption, ecocide etc. How many trees had to be cut down to provide paper for his drivel?

Baggs Wed 11-Jan-23 09:50:17

volver

Oh, and why are you laughing at non-fiction?

Because some people regard it as fiction.