Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new gold coach?

(70 Posts)
maddyone Mon 23-Jan-23 07:07:59

I heard somewhere, I’ve no idea where, that there maybe a new gold coach for the coronation. I’ve no idea where I heard this, perhaps I dreamt it, but I feel that I heard it somewhere. A new gold coach is necessary because the old one is darn uncomfortable. Of course it wouldn’t be solid gold, maybe it wouldn’t even be gold at all, just painted gold and with superior springs.
Is it true? Does anyone know? Or did I actually dream it?

Joseanne Mon 23-Jan-23 07:38:44

You didn't dream it. It was on tv a few months ago because they were talking to the guy who was going to carve something or other? I'm off to check.
Why can't KC go by car from the existing fleet?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Jan-23 07:45:39

How ridiculous!

volver Mon 23-Jan-23 07:49:03

He's getting it for free though. The chap who's making it, from wood I believe, is donating it. So that's ok then. hmm

Juliet27 Mon 23-Jan-23 07:51:56

I did find this in a section of the Yorkshire Post online.

Manufactured at his workshop in Sydney, with the help of an international team of craftsmen, the King's Coach will be airfreighted to London just prior to May's Coronation.
It is hoped King Charles III will ride in the 1761 Gold State Coach to Westminster Abbey and return in the new model - which is a gift and will cost nothing to the monarchy or the taxpayer.
One of the last exponents of the art of coachbuilding, Mr Frecklington built the Australian state coach, which was presented to the Queen during the 1988 Australian Bicentennial.His Diamond Jubilee State Coach was first used during the State Opening of Parliament in June 2014.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 23-Jan-23 07:53:28

Uncomfortable? For how many minutes will he be in the thing?

Uncomfortable is someone queueing for hours to catch a glimpse of him arriving and leaving the coach, or a uniformed officer standing for hours guarding him.

Let’s hope he’s paying for it out of his own (or should I say the people of Cornwalls) money.

What’s that saying ‘live in hope, die in despair’.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jan-23 07:54:32

Should it be refused ?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 23-Jan-23 07:54:37

Crossed posts.

A Free coach then, which is very nice of the Australians.

volver Mon 23-Jan-23 08:12:06

Maybe they could give us some money for the NHS instead then? And Charles could drive to his wee ceremony in the Aston Martin?

Anniebach Mon 23-Jan-23 08:22:19

A gift ?

Gingster Mon 23-Jan-23 08:24:45

Surely KC and Camilla can travel in it for such a short journey.
Cushions to make it more comfortable. Such a waste to have a new one and a wonderful tradition to ride in the old one. 🇬🇧

MaizieD Mon 23-Jan-23 08:42:42

Read Juliet27's post at 7.51.

It's a FREE GIFT to the monarch. It's not costing him or us anything.

So stop bl**dy moaning and nitpicking.

volver Mon 23-Jan-23 08:46:00

What kind of world are we living in where anyone thinks its valid to give someone a GOLD COACH.

We're not living in a production of Cinderella!

Aveline Mon 23-Jan-23 08:47:59

It's a free country. He can do this if he wants to.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jan-23 08:50:46

A gold coloured coach

nanna8 Mon 23-Jan-23 08:51:11

Must dig out some glass slippers - nah, maybe not . My heart is breaking because we’ll be up the bush in the Kimberleys when the coronation is on.

volver Mon 23-Jan-23 08:51:27

Yes of course he can. Just as people sent money, apparently, when the Queen died.

It's the motivation behind it that puzzles me. What drives people to do this kind of thing for a family that wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire? Hero-worship?

maddyone Mon 23-Jan-23 08:53:29

I agree with you volver. I was quite flabbergasted, but unsure that I really had heard such a thing. Thank you Joseanne for setting me straight so I know I’ve not gone gaga yet. I am at least pleased to hear that the cost will not be coming out of our taxes, but I don’t think KC needs a new gold coach, especially at this difficult financial time for so many people. For those who enjoy the spectacle and the tradition, the old coach is good enough.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jan-23 08:54:26

Should he refused the gift ?

MaizieD Mon 23-Jan-23 08:56:42

I'll leave you all to it.

What a stupid fuss about nithing.

volver Mon 23-Jan-23 08:58:55

"Stupid" now is it?

Thanks MaizieD

Casdon Mon 23-Jan-23 09:09:04

I’m guessing this man is an artist in his field, and wants to leave a piece of his work for posterity, I expect the royal family have the best collection of coaches in the world, and you can already view them at the Mews, so this will be an added attraction. I can’t get exercised about it.

Mollygo Mon 23-Jan-23 09:31:14

Casdon
I’m guessing this man is an artist in his field, and wants to leave a piece of his work for posterity.
I think you’re right and what an amazing piece of advertising for him as well.

I’m just imagining the possible situations and * potential comments* on here, had KC refused the gift.
E.g.
Monarch turns down gift from Australian man how racist
KC says the gift is inappropriate during this financial crisis -*how rude*
KC insists on paying for the coach- hope he’s doing that out of his own money and not the tax payers
KC refuses to accept free gift because he doesn’t need it -*how rude*

Coach creator is told You should be doing something more practical for the poor in your own country instead of doing something that gives you pleasure to give as a gift.

My parents always told me it was good manners to accept a gift gracefully.

Joseanne Mon 23-Jan-23 09:38:12

This thread is funny.
It goes from nit picking, to nithing, or is that knitting (at the guillotine), to exercising or is that exorcising, or should that even be excited? 😈

Dickens Mon 23-Jan-23 09:39:23

maddyone

I heard somewhere, I’ve no idea where, that there maybe a new gold coach for the coronation. I’ve no idea where I heard this, perhaps I dreamt it, but I feel that I heard it somewhere. A new gold coach is necessary because the old one is darn uncomfortable. Of course it wouldn’t be solid gold, maybe it wouldn’t even be gold at all, just painted gold and with superior springs.
Is it true? Does anyone know? Or did I actually dream it?

A new gold coach is necessary because the old one is darn uncomfortable

Well Charles' mum coped with it - and that great lump of metal on her head...

Different times I suppose.