Gransnet forums

News & politics

One for those who never go on the News and Politics Forum

(213 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Feb-23 13:11:03

What do politics have to do with me????

www.instagram.com/reel/Cm71SjLI8Rr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D&fbclid=IwAR0eyj8UJnV6QrMjGHB_558e5NlChlZkIx-vBukZilXBwSi2e_mLgIneoYY

dragonfly46 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:23:10

Well I am sure more of us would contribute if we were not shot down in flames for having opposing views to the majority of posters who believe their way is the right way.

Sago Fri 03-Feb-23 22:30:51

varian

www.instagram.com/reel/Cm71SjLI8Rr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D&fbclid=IwAR0eyj8UJnV6QrMjGHB_558e5NlChlZkIx-vBukZilXBwSi2e_mLgIneoYY

How patronising.

Just because some of us do not use this platform to air our political views does not mean we have no interest or knowledge.

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-23 22:33:17

I feel there's a sub text of "I don't like having to defend my views".

Having seen posters being ripped to shreds in other sections of this site I don't feel that N & P is uniquely awful. 🤔

nanna8 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:36:05

I find on the politics thread there are actually only a couple of people who are pains in the proverbial and if you never respond to their particular wit and sarcasm it is ok. There are some quite lively and interesting discussions there, albeit mostly very biased but still - you gotta hear all sides and sometimes they do have a point.

nanna8 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:39:04

Looking at that rather patronising video my racial prejudice came out - he’s American!

Cressy Fri 03-Feb-23 22:46:27

I never had much interest in politics when I was young(er) but over the last ten years or so I have gradually started to form my own political views. I fully accept I am late to the plate and often feel this thread could do much to educate me. However I have no wish to be ridiculed which I see is often the case here. I am all for robust debate but not for humiliating those who may not be so well informed as others. I accept that people who have spent time researching and forming their opinions might feel frustrated by the likes of me but I wish they would remember that that those posters have an opportunity to educate and inform. They won’t achieve that though through ridicule and banging their heads against a metaphorical wall. They also need to accept that their way is not necessarily the right way however much they are convinced it is. I suppose what I am saying is that there are those who are able to debate whilst respecting their ‘opponent’ and those who are not really interested in what anyone else has to say. Well I think that’s what I’m trying to say…..😬

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 22:52:10

MaizieD

I feel there's a sub text of "I don't like having to defend my views".

Having seen posters being ripped to shreds in other sections of this site I don't feel that N & P is uniquely awful. 🤔

That's how I feel, too.

Obviously we go where we feel comfortable, but I find the RF and Estrangement forums to be far worse than N&P.

It's a shame when people stay away from N&P threads because they are sick of the same people saying the same things, though. That won't change unless new people come along and say different things, will it? Discussion boards are what we make them.

Joseanne Fri 03-Feb-23 22:57:20

When I joined GN I was interested in the politics threads because there were a couple of posters who, during a discussion, would explain -in simple terms- the advantages and consequences of supporting various parties. I'm not sure what changed, maybe covid related, but the tone of these threads suddenly became very derogatory and superior towards those who just wanted to join in or those who held different views.
For example, telling posters to go back to their baking threads or back to their chats on say fashion was an insult to their intelligence, totally unnecessary, and I am not surprised that these posters then decided to no longer engage in discussions.

Joseanne Fri 03-Feb-23 22:59:19

X post Cressy saying much the same.

henetha Fri 03-Feb-23 23:17:43

Absolutely. One superior poster told me to go back to my knitting.

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 23:22:44

henetha

What?? That must have been before my time grin. As an avid knitter and regular poster on N&P I would have leapt to your defence armed with a knitting needle!

Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 23:32:23

dragonfly46

Well I am sure more of us would contribute if we were not shot down in flames for having opposing views to the majority of posters who believe their way is the right way.

Indeed.

Some posters are truly know-it-alls on all topics.

Joseanne Fri 03-Feb-23 23:34:20

Doodledog

henetha

What?? That must have been before my time grin. As an avid knitter and regular poster on N&P I would have leapt to your defence armed with a knitting needle!

Well we know most politicians just like to spin a yarn!

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 23:36:46

grin

Shinamae Fri 03-Feb-23 23:47:45

Sago

varian

How patronising.

Just because some of us do not use this platform to air our political views does not mean we have no interest or knowledge.

We’ll said Sago…

nanna8 Sat 04-Feb-23 07:48:28

Doodledog

henetha

I still like clutching at purls! Maybe we should just cast off those people and their comments?

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 08:19:00

Maybe we should just cast off those people and their comments?
Would that decrease their numbers, do you think? Getting ribbed for spinning a yarn or for choosing a different pattern from others can be difficult, but comparing works in progress can cut out woolly thinking, and anyway no one style is better than the others. Listening to ideas about how to vary patterns can be very useful though, and not everyone is averse to trying out different stitches.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 08:19:30

That was painful, sorry 😞

MerylStreep Sat 04-Feb-23 08:24:11

Baggs summed it up.
It’s not the subject matter that posters are avoiding, it’s some posters.

Forsythia Sat 04-Feb-23 08:29:03

MerylStreep

Baggs summed it up.
It’s not the subject matter that posters are avoiding, it’s some posters.

Agreed. I used to go on there and did contribute to some threads but I don’t have the interest in arguing with the vociferous few who dominate. Much better to leave them to it so they can fight amongst themselves. I prefer more light topics and there’s much on here that falls into that category. Doesn’t make me an airhead, I just cant be bothered!

MerylStreep Sat 04-Feb-23 08:31:56

Not everyone has a thick skin like Urmstongran.
If she stopped feeding them, they’d be stuffed.

TerriBull Sat 04-Feb-23 08:59:04

I absolutely can't believe a poster would be told to go back to their knitting for presumably putting their head above the parapet, truly shocking!, There are times when it comes across as those who would perceive themselves to be the most tolerant and broad minded display the complete opposite. Bags' post describes the feelings of many on GN in a nutshell. I wonder why, just because some people don't always wish to discuss certain issues, there is a supposition that is because they are somehow too ignorant, shallow or not interested in doing so.

Kandinsky Sat 04-Feb-23 09:05:05

I used to post on N&P as I am interested in politics. Unfortunately though, I really dislike the posting style of a few on there, ( who seem to be on there all day every day too! )
Pompous know it alls basically.

toscalily Sat 04-Feb-23 09:15:11

Baggs

That video, though funny, says as clearly as daylight why people don't go on N&P threads on GN: the scathing condescension they expect – having witnessed it from afar – to be met with should they dare to disagree with the usual N&P enthusiasts.

I suggest that many people's avoidance of GN N&P threads is for that reason and in no way an indication of their lack of interest in political matters.

Some will also stay away out of despair at the quality of many of our current politicians (of all stripes).

Agree. Does not mean we do not read the N&P threads just choose not to contribute.

Galaxy Sat 04-Feb-23 09:15:50

It's not just about GN is it, it's a lack of understanding of other peoples lives. I am in awe of some of the families I work with, I am in awe that despite the circumstances they are facing they have got their children to.school and arent wearing their clothes on back to front, I am certainly not going to judge people for not having an interest in politics.