Gransnet forums

News & politics

So how can we show our disgust ...

(112 Posts)
CvD66 Sat 11-Mar-23 12:02:56

...at this government (adjectives deleted to enable post to survive) and its policies. Whether its the appalling language and terms of this new Immigration bill, the current attempts to limit free speech, voting restrictions particularly for young people, polluted rivers and seas (affecting wildlife, tourism and well being), the cost of living crisis, unaffordable energy bills, threats of higher mortgage costs, significant decrease in rape prosecutions, repeated examples of government waste (PPE being the prime example) and so on.... there is so much we need to be opposing. Yes I know we can all vote in the local and one day general elections, yet making a protest that might actually resonate with the government seems impossible. So well done to Linekar with his 6m followers! Any ideas from posters on what we as individuals could do, that could create a ripple?

Galaxy Sat 11-Mar-23 12:05:19

Join an opposition party, fundraise for them, post leaflets in the rain, boring stuff like that I am afraid.

biglouis Sat 11-Mar-23 12:06:53

We are too soft in this country. We should protest like the French.

timetogo2016 Sat 11-Mar-23 12:09:54

I agree biglouis,were walked all over and we just sit and moan.

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Mar-23 12:10:20

biglouis

Absolutely
They are currently up in arms because the retirement age in France is being raised from 62 to 64.
I’ve always thought that ‘our’ animosity towards the French is because we are secretly envious of their feistiness and noncompliance

Glorianny Sat 11-Mar-23 12:12:50

Join an organisation which support refugees and campaigns against draconian laws.
Here's one togetherwithrefugees.org.uk/
and another
www.refugee-action.org.uk/support-us/volunteers/
Support their campaigns and join their actions.

Chardy Sat 11-Mar-23 12:13:05

Galaxy

Join an opposition party, fundraise for them, post leaflets in the rain, boring stuff like that I am afraid.

Sadly the Opposition Party are no better. They care little for ordinary people, and nothing for the vulnerable.

MaizieD Sat 11-Mar-23 12:13:16

biglouis

Unless of course, we are climate activists or people pulling down the statue of a racist slave trader.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 11-Mar-23 12:14:11

Do as the Israelis are doing: demonstrate or strike!

It seems to be working there, so why not in the UK?

Galaxy Sat 11-Mar-23 12:15:19

Anyone who says there is no difference doesnt actually need an alternative government.

GagaJo Sat 11-Mar-23 12:15:33

We had a chance in the last election and the populace picked Boris.

GagaJo Sat 11-Mar-23 12:16:23

Exactly Maisie. Then they're called hooligans and reviled.

growstuff Sat 11-Mar-23 12:30:30

Chardy

Galaxy

Sadly the Opposition Party are no better. They care little for ordinary people, and nothing for the vulnerable.

Aren't all people just ordinary?

I'm still wondering who the unordinary people are.

Oreo Sat 11-Mar-23 12:35:51

Galaxy

Exactly.
Hope for the Party you support to get in next time.Then listen to all the moans from those who didn’t want them in power, and so it goes on.
It’s a symptom of the modern world that people want instant changes to anything they don’t like.😄
Other things to do, email your MP, write angry letters to newspapers, join online petitions.
None of those will achieve anything but will make you feel better. Having a moan on social media is the last resort.

Oreo Sat 11-Mar-23 12:39:05

growstuff

Chardy

Galaxy

Aren't all people just ordinary?

I'm still wondering who the unordinary people are.

Millionaires? Billionaires? Overpaid footballers? Overpaid football pundits?
Ordinary people is just a phrase for most of the rest of us, worrying about bills, having to use the NHS and generally trying to get by in life.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 12:49:11

We do need to take to the streets I admire the French for their ability to collect the masses when needed

Oreo Sat 11-Mar-23 12:52:49

Go on then Bluebelle off to man the barricades with a thermos😁

M0nica Sat 11-Mar-23 12:59:03

But where does demonstrating get the French? Their pension age is still going to rise, as with many other things they have demonstrated against - anyway how do we know that demonstrators are representative of the country as a whole?

micmc47 Sat 11-Mar-23 13:32:08

We get the Government we deserve, and will no doubt end up deserving the next one too..

varian Sat 11-Mar-23 15:29:16

Campaign for electoral reform. Remember that this "landslide victory" of an eighty seat majority that the Tories got in 2019 was a result of them getting only 43% of the votes. 57% of those who voted voted against them - yet we ended up with a corrupt right wing dictatorship.

We need to elect our government by PR. Belarus is the only other European country to use the undemocratic FPTP electoral system.

Casdon Sat 11-Mar-23 15:32:52

M0nica

But where does demonstrating get the French? Their pension age is still going to rise, as with many other things they have demonstrated against - anyway how do we know that demonstrators are representative of the country as a whole?

It’s only going to rise to 64 though Monica, not 67 which it will be soon for the UK. So maybe all the protesting is achieving something!

Ali23 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:51:05

We have to chip away at showing support for others who are standing up to be heard, like Gary Lineker, fund those who are fighting for human rights for others, and positively support strikers.
I’ve always been quite moderate but enough is enough. We are experiencing the thin end of a dangerous right wing wedge.
I actually believe that extreme right wing or extreme left wing are equally damaging and dangerous. So for me, I would prefer to see proportional representation.

Ilovecheese Sat 11-Mar-23 15:52:12

Well we did take to the streets to march against going to war with Iraq, perhaps that showed us the futility of protest.
Having said that, it seemed to work in Scotland with the Poll tax.

I agree that the main opposition party is not much different to the Tories, maybe the answer is to vote in large numbers for outlying parties like the Greens, in order to show that being right wing is not the sure fire vote winner that both the main parties think it is.

ayse Sat 11-Mar-23 15:56:15

It worked in England against the pole tax as well!

MayBee70 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:05:53

Chardy

Galaxy

Can you give me examples of this please…