Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rishi sacks Suella as Home Secretary.

(354 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 13-Nov-23 08:47:23

A wise move? Or will he come to regret it?

ronib Mon 13-Nov-23 09:15:57

Health Minister and Schools Ministers both quit.
Rearranging the deckchairs day.
Sunak is a disaster.

maddyone Mon 13-Nov-23 09:16:33

Whitewavemark2

Can a non member of parliament take up a ministers post?

I’m confused!

I was thinking that too.
I have a feeling that Blair had someone in cabinet who wasn’t an MP. If I’m remembering correctly, then yes, a non MP can take up a cabinet position, but I’m not sure whether I’m right.

25Avalon Mon 13-Nov-23 09:16:40

The way things are going, sceptic that I am, I think I might vote for Keir Starmer after all😂

maddyone Mon 13-Nov-23 09:19:04

Is he your MP Avalon?

Vintagewhine Mon 13-Nov-23 09:21:23

ronib

Sunak is toast.

Sunak has been in the toaster since he became PM. The conservative party is in meltdown and there's no one who can hold it together. They need to be out of government.

nadateturbe Mon 13-Nov-23 09:23:12

Agree Vintagewhine and MaisieD.

ronib Mon 13-Nov-23 09:24:37

The Conservatives are not exactly governing Vintagewine? Don’t know who is?

25Avalon Mon 13-Nov-23 09:26:41

maddyone

Is he your MP Avalon?

No Keir is not my MP. JRM is and a very good constituency MP too but I’m going to have think about who’s at the helm. Next time an opinion survey asks who I want as PM I might vote for Keir after all.

biglouis Mon 13-Nov-23 09:27:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MaizieD Mon 13-Nov-23 09:28:02

maddyone

Whitewavemark2

Can a non member of parliament take up a ministers post?

I’m confused!

I was thinking that too.
I have a feeling that Blair had someone in cabinet who wasn’t an MP. If I’m remembering correctly, then yes, a non MP can take up a cabinet position, but I’m not sure whether I’m right.

They'd have to be given a peerage. A government minister has to be in Parliament, either the Lords or the Commons.

maddyone Mon 13-Nov-23 09:28:08

Sunak has indeed been toast since he became PM. He’s a caretaking PM and I’m sure he knows it. I don’t think there’s anything he could do to change this.

Nicenanny3 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:28:43

Well I won't be voting for Sunak now. I'll be voting Reform unless Suella Braverman comes back as Conservative leader. Bad mistake.

Urmstongran Mon 13-Nov-23 09:29:06

I think it’s a terrible decision but James O'Brien will be unbearable today!

BlueBelle Mon 13-Nov-23 09:29:31

Plenty of far right on here then

MaizieD Mon 13-Nov-23 09:29:37

Wheniwasyourage

MaizieD

nanna8

Her attitudes are not very British. Not much tolerance and understanding, what has the place come to that people like that hold power?

Reading some of the responses on here I fear that your idea of what is 'British' isn't a universal quality. 😟

So it's all our fault for not being tolerant and understanding of the actions of this apparently deranged woman, is it, MaizieD?

I think you've put me on the wrong side.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:30:21

So Cameron will have to be made a Lord.

Surely to god there is someone else!!

maddyone Mon 13-Nov-23 09:31:32

Thanks for answering Avalon and Maizie.
So next question, is Cameron in the HofLs?

Redhead56 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:31:34

It’s about time she went!

OldFrill Mon 13-Nov-23 09:32:20

James Cleverly

Urmstongran Mon 13-Nov-23 09:32:44

Oops! I didn’t see your thread Grannynannywanny!
Very generous of you to have yours deleted.
😁

MaizieD Mon 13-Nov-23 09:35:54

maddyone

Thanks for answering Avalon and Maizie.
So next question, is Cameron in the HofLs?

No, but it can be done very quickly.

Nicenanny3 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:35:58

09:29BlueBelle

Plenty of far right on here then

Haha no just right

25Avalon Mon 13-Nov-23 09:38:23

I think this Conservative government is in its death throes. Nobody has any confidence in it and reshuffle after reshuffle just makes it worse. Dragging back Cameron isn’t going to help either, quite the opposite.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Nov-23 09:38:35

So we have the prospect of an exPM returning, who was responsible for the whole disastrous austerity, and most of all the Brexit debacle.

Scat Mon 13-Nov-23 09:38:52

Whether you liked Braverman or loathed her, she was the only home secretary to ever seriously attempt to get some control of the immigration problem. She was adamant that Britain was no longer to be seen as a soft touch and that immigrants could not just arrive in the country illegally and expect to receive first class accommodation and full financial support. She did what every other home secretary promised to do but never actually did.