Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is anyone interested in the terror attack in Moscow?

(104 Posts)
maddyone Mon 25-Mar-24 13:27:51

I was shocked when I saw the horrific terrorist attack which took place in Moscow a couple of days ago. These things always shock me and fill me with horror. All these people did was go to a concert hall and 137 of them ended up dead and many others injured. Islamic State have claimed responsibility, however Putin is blaming the Ukrainians.
There has been no thread started on Gransnet about it, which I find interesting. Is it because there is less empathy for the Russian people because of their vile war in Ukraine? I think we all probably support Ukraine in the war, but have we lost our empathy for innocent people caught up in a terrible terrorist attack because they’re Russians?

Katie59 Mon 25-Mar-24 13:32:32

It suits Putin to blame Ukraine although Islamic extremists is more likely, I don’t think there are many that sympathize with Russia currently.

maddyone Mon 25-Mar-24 13:36:31

No, I certainly don’t sympathise with Russia, but I do feel for civilians who have died or been injured.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-Mar-24 13:37:52

USA warned Putin and US nationals prior to the attack. Putin chose to ignore the warning.

Whether the Russian people are aware of that I don’t know - but Putin is trying to turn it to his advantage and blame Ukraine, largely because he needs more cannon fodder.

maddyone Mon 25-Mar-24 13:42:14

Agree with your post Whitewave. Putin is a despicable character who is trying to blame Ukraine.
I did see that Putin had been warned, but I’m unsure whether to believe that or not, in the same way as I’m unsure whether to believe that Netanyahu was pre warned. I don’t think any of us actually know these things.

maddyone Mon 25-Mar-24 13:45:44

Islamic State are also a despicable organisation. I feel strangely lacking in compassion for the four perpetrators who have been caught and look as though they’ve been tortured by the Russian authorities. I don’t agree with torture, so why are my feelings deadened when I look at them?

kittylester Mon 25-Mar-24 13:45:48

I even suspect that Putin might have been responsible as an excuse to escalate the war with Ukraine and, probably, beyond.

maddyone Mon 25-Mar-24 13:59:37

That’s a horrible thought kitty, but since Islamic State have clearly claimed responsibility, I think they are responsible.

dogsmother Mon 25-Mar-24 14:02:26

Oh Kittylester, my thoughts too. It’s tragic altogether for all of humanity that lives are being lost to terror.

Sarnia Mon 25-Mar-24 14:02:59

I find attacks of this kind on ordinary men, women and children, enjoying a concert is tragic. It doesn't matter to me which country they are from, they did not deserve this. And just when you think the conspiracy theorists amongst us would have wound their necks in after the cruel scenarios levelled at the Princess of Wales, here we have a GN saying she thinks Putin arranged it all!

AGAA4 Mon 25-Mar-24 14:06:53

I am sorry for any victims of terrorists whoever they are. It's typical of Putin to use the tragedy to his advantage and blame Ukraine. Can he become any more despicable.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-Mar-24 14:24:37

I think that we can be pretty sure that the USA warned Putin, as they certainly warned their nationals living in Moscow that an attack was imminent in a theatre, arena or concert hall etc.

The same is true of Netanyahu.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 25-Mar-24 14:26:48

I doubt the lack of interest has anything to do with our present feelings toward Russia.

It is more likely that since the Parisian attack in 2013 or was it "12?, then the Belgian one, the back to France for the man who drove a van into a Bastille day group of holiday makers, then to London for three or four similar incidents, and a couple in Manchester , then back to Paris, then forward and back to school shootings in the USA, we are surfeited with them, as we were in the 1970s any time either the IRA or the Unionists were carrying on in the same way.

Sadly, we shrug our shoulders and get on with our day - it's "only" another bl** terrorist group. Not nice, but we cannot tear ourselves to bits over all and every disaster in the world.

People are dying in Haiti too for the umpteenth time due to gang warfare, and still Haiti's president hasn't asked Macron to send the French Foreign Legion to sort that out!

halfpint1 Mon 25-Mar-24 15:05:46

Something about the terrorists being caught so quickly doesn't feel right and showing the pictures of them being tortured doesn't feel right either and not for human rights reason either

Baggs Mon 25-Mar-24 15:15:57

The fact that one sympathises about something doesn't mean one is obliged to talk about it publicly. Just saying.

Baggs Mon 25-Mar-24 15:22:58

And one's not talking about it doesn't mean anything either.

fancythat Mon 25-Mar-24 15:28:34

I often think it is to do with geographical distance.
Anywhere say past Tur key, and, in general, the Uk is not so interested.

Also, needs to be an area that is quite "western" in behaviour.
And non "tribal". To get more attention.

My opinion, fwiw.

Galaxy Mon 25-Mar-24 15:33:09

Vile attack by a vile group. Putin us using it to attack Ukrsine obviously but un general I am not really sure what people expect countries to do with regard to warnings of terrorist attacks, yes you can put extra security in place, but they will frequently find a way around this, and again it depends how we want to live our lives. The freedom to dance, watch movies etc, is fairly important to me. Those poor people.
There were warnings about terrorism prior to the 911 attacks. I dont hold the USA responsible for them.

Galaxy Mon 25-Mar-24 15:34:31

Sorry terrible typing errors, am typing in the car (as a passenger!)

eazybee Mon 25-Mar-24 15:54:13

I don't think ' interested' is the word I would use. Shocked, sickened, appalled and very sadly, accustomed to yet another terrorist outrage.

And I agree about the terrorists being captured so quickly. Usually Islamic terrorists have the means of killing themselves swiftly after an attack, and are rarely taken alive.

I hope they are not being tortured into 'confessing' that Ukraine is to blame.

M0nica Mon 25-Mar-24 16:07:52

There are suggestions of Russian State complicity in this outrage. US and other western embassies had warned the Russians that there was credible information that a major attack on a conference of concer thall near Moscow was planned for about now. Countries, worldwide still exchange intewlligence on terrorist activities

This suggestion of Russian government complicity is enhanced by the fact that It took the local national guard and hour and a half to get to the location of the attack from a barracks only 2 miles away.

That the evidence is there that this was an Islamic terrorist attack is undeniable. It is also clear than the Russian government cares so little for its citizens that, knowing about it, they did nothing to prevent it and by a slow response ensured that the carnage that occurred was maximised.

I wonder whether the slow reaction on GN rises from the sense of helplessness that surely must engulf us watching the way the Russian state is devouring its own citizens, and that in the hands of a magalomaniac dictator, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Baggs Mon 25-Mar-24 16:14:27

I wonder whether the slow reaction on GN rises from the sense of helplessness that surely must engulf us watching the way the Russian state is devouring its own citizens

Exactly, M0nica.

I rather resent what I see as the negative assumptiveness in some posts. If people want to talk about it, then do so, but don't assume anything about anyone else.

Being in the news and in newspapers and other media is attention.

And as M0n says, there's bugger all we as individuals can do about it.

foxie48 Mon 25-Mar-24 16:24:30

MOnica as has already been said, I don't find it interesting, it's vile but it's impossible to know what to say. I do not trust anything Putin says and it's impossible to know what the truth of the matter is apart from the fact that totally innocent people have died in horrible circumstances and lots more have been injured. Actually I felt sick seeing the men arrested being dragged into court, no civilised country would treat prisoners like this regardless of the crime they are said to have committed and how does anyone know that these men are guilty. We don't. Russia spews out lies and propaganda so much we should distrust everything.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Mar-24 16:25:19

halfpint1

Something about the terrorists being caught so quickly doesn't feel right and showing the pictures of them being tortured doesn't feel right either and not for human rights reason either

I agree, it’s all very convenient, so I feel sorry for the alleged perpetrators and concerned they may well be handy fodder.

OldFrill Mon 25-Mar-24 16:39:56

Sarnia

I find attacks of this kind on ordinary men, women and children, enjoying a concert is tragic. It doesn't matter to me which country they are from, they did not deserve this. And just when you think the conspiracy theorists amongst us would have wound their necks in after the cruel scenarios levelled at the Princess of Wales, here we have a GN saying she thinks Putin arranged it all!

If you remember Alexander Litvinenko whose death by poison rocked the country. His investigations, and book, that called into question whether Putin had planned the 1999 apartment bombings to gain power still stand. It is not a conspiracy theory any more than Litvinenko's murderers were Russian agents acting on orders from Putin.