Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

When did X become Y?

(107 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Sun 15-May-16 17:54:36

When did "riding" become "horse-riding"? (Bicycle riding is "cycling".)

When did "skating" become "ice-skating"? (Roller-skating is a different activity.)

When did "nightlights" become "tealights" - and what on earth Is a tealight anyway?

I blame the Americans for the first two, but really don't understand the third one. Anybody got any ideas or any other suggestions?

BBbevan Sun 15-May-16 18:00:03

What about station, now train station !!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 15-May-16 18:01:11

Good one!

GandTea Sun 15-May-16 18:22:45

Waited for hours for a train at the station last week, in the end I gave up and caught the next bus.

merlotgran Sun 15-May-16 18:26:45

In the country now has to be in the countryside.

merlotgran Sun 15-May-16 18:29:00

When did "riding" become "horse-riding"

Horse-back riding is even worse.

GandTea Sun 15-May-16 18:35:35

Country and countryside have slightly different definitions according to the Oxford dictionary. I suspect we have abbreviated countryside to country when countryside is what we mean.

LullyDully Sun 15-May-16 18:37:01

Yes bbbevan. Train station always annoys me. I thought I had just always been wrong.

Also the swimming lessons are swim school. Yuk..

merlotgran Sun 15-May-16 18:40:44

I know they have slightly different definitions GrandTea but Cliff Richard didn't sing about being In The Countryside grin

Jane10 Sun 15-May-16 19:05:41

I'm glad its not just me who's noticed this. Railway station sounds so much grander than train station. Don't even mention horse riding and ice skating. Sword fencing anyone? I just used to fence!

Alea Sun 15-May-16 19:19:45

While in the railway "area" how about "station stop"?? confused
"This train terminates here" - no it doesn't , the service does.

Teetime Sun 15-May-16 19:25:02

Deplaning annoys me I just get off the plane or disembark

hildajenniJ Sun 15-May-16 19:35:09

I too am annoyed by train station. I always refer to it as the railway station. According to Mr. Wikki, tealight originated in Japan as added ambience to the tea ceremony. They then were used to put under the teapot to keep it warm. I would still rather call them nightlights.

Greenfinch Sun 15-May-16 19:37:05

Station stop annoys me too*Alea*. As does customers rather than passengers.

Charleygirl Sun 15-May-16 19:43:52

I do differentiate between a tube station and a train station- sometimes I call it the main line.

I also get off a plane, I do not deplane.

Alea Sun 15-May-16 20:06:01

"Deplane" is what you take to go on de holidays, surely?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-May-16 20:06:57

grin

Pippa000 Mon 16-May-16 06:15:35

Don't forget patients are now clients.

f77ms Mon 16-May-16 07:16:22

Pippa or service users lol

Bellanonna Mon 16-May-16 08:21:27

I'm glad so many of you mentioned train station. I loathe it . I think, though, that as many younger people call in train station, that is what it will become. Language does evolve, and the changed description is accurate. I will never say it though. Bit late now. I've never heard of de-planing ! How weird. I was going to mention horseback riding too, but see someone already has. Not too sure we say that over here? I don't mind ice skating, although I'm sure I just went skating. As roller skating, or blading, is popular, I suppose it differentiates between them. I've also heard cellphone here. We already have a word!! I know there are lots of other expressions that grate. I'll probably think of them after I press send.

thatbags Mon 16-May-16 08:49:55

Americans talk of 'riding' in a car, e.g. I'll give you a ride to... where we would use lift. So they specify horse if it's horse-riding.

When railway stations were first built, there were no bus stations. Now there are. Bus station, train station. Same pattern of construction.

Wish people'd stop moaning and just use the language as they like to use it while tolerantly giving everyone else the same freedom.

shysal Mon 16-May-16 09:50:31

I remember having a conversation at cross purposes when an American colleague told me that she enjoyed riding. She was very confused when I started talking about horses, because she had actually said 'writing' in her Southern accent! confused

Lilyflower Mon 16-May-16 10:01:15

I certainly agree about 'train station'. Very grating!

JackyB Mon 16-May-16 10:05:56

Well, 'riding' can be taken to mean something else, too, which might raise a few giggles!

I can explain 'tea lights': it has seeped in from the German 'Teelicht' which is what those little candles are called. They are mainly used for keeping tea pots warm, teacosies being unknown here in Germany. As the little knick-knacks which use them have spread around the globe, with sloppily translated descriptions and instructions, 'tealight/Teelicht' has become one of those 'false friends'.

Train station does sound wrong, but we do say Bus station and Coach station.

adaunas Mon 16-May-16 10:09:06

Train station irritates me too, but Homeward Bound would not work if we couldn't sing 'Sitting on a railway station, got a ticket for my destination'. Love Alea's reason for 'de plane' ?