Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

When did X become Y?

(108 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Sun 15-May-16 17:54:36

When did "riding" become "horse-riding"? (Bicycle riding is "cycling".)

When did "skating" become "ice-skating"? (Roller-skating is a different activity.)

When did "nightlights" become "tealights" - and what on earth Is a tealight anyway?

I blame the Americans for the first two, but really don't understand the third one. Anybody got any ideas or any other suggestions?

HootyMcOwlface Tue 17-May-16 20:40:28

I dislike children being called 'kids' - there was an advert for somewhere on the TV that said 'kids eat free!' I said to my OH I'd love to go in there with a few baby goats! And while I'm in full moan mood, what is wrong with 'pupils' why do they have to all be 'students' now?

Bellanonna Tue 17-May-16 21:19:58

Oooh, thanks, love choc brownies ?

Conni7 Wed 18-May-16 12:10:58

I remember first being confused in America when asked if I wanted my sandwich to go.

FarNorth Wed 18-May-16 14:00:55

I think the older pupils/students, at least, probably think the word 'student' is more cool. smile

Jane10 Wed 18-May-16 14:08:38

On a late nineteenth century census I was impressed to see my Grandad then aged about 6 being recorded as a 'scholar'. Much more grown up than pupil or student I thought!

Jane10 Wed 18-May-16 20:35:06

And another thing... why do we apparently 'park up' these days. I just used to park my car!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 23-May-16 10:34:11

I agree with you Jane10 about "park up". Why do so many people now say "meet with" or even "meet up with"(!!) instead of the simple "meet"?

I reserve the right to say that I hate this and some of the other misuses of language mentioned on this thread because it is in Pedants' corner, where we have a licence to express our inner pedant, and that that does not detract from my quite different (and genuine) hatred of injustice, cruelty, etc.