Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

"Myself" cropping up everywhere lately

(52 Posts)
Alima Sun 27-Aug-17 10:14:00

So many times recently I have heard the word "myself" whereas I would use "I". For example, "Fred and myself went out". Heard Prince William say a similar thing in an interview the other day. Though not about Fred I hasten to add. Please could the pedants among you tell me if it is correct usage of the word. It really annoys me.

Christinefrance Tue 31-Oct-17 14:50:16

Yes me too Hipsy my husband wants to make a reservation ?

Hipsy Tue 31-Oct-17 11:52:52

MesMopTop Wondering what methods the restaurant staff had used to arouse the gentleman that had fainted?? blush

MamaCaz Tue 31-Oct-17 10:43:05

I've re-read that last post and really wish that I could go back to edit the first part. The grammar is terrible - I really should have read it through properly before posting! blush

MamaCaz Tue 31-Oct-17 10:39:31

If I asked the question, "who's there?", I would fall about laughing if they answered, "It is / It's I". I would instantly thing of scenes from Allo Allo. It is, to me, a perfect example of a phrase that is, on the face of it, 'grammatically correct', but is in fact so outdated as to be now considered incorrect. Just my opinion of course, and I know that some will disagree.

MesMopTop Tue 31-Oct-17 01:03:41

I dislike the phrase we're loving this new seasons look........these j tarts.,.......this new restaurant. Hesr it often, especially on TV chat show programmes. My absolute pet peeves are wanna, gonna and shoulda. I recently read a report that informed me that staff had been "unable to arouse" a gentleman that had fainted. Going back to the restaurant, the waiter/waitress that asks "are we having something to drink with that?. At the surgery, We'll just pop this gown on/hop up onto the bed/provide a sample.... the list goes on

mrsmopp Tue 31-Oct-17 00:27:28

'Today' is another one cropping up all the time. Salesgirl asks if I'd like a bag for that today, or can I interest you in a store card today.....

Isabella1 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:34:41

People say 'I' instead of 'me' even when it's incorrect - they think it sounds posh!

Although I must admit I now trip over saying things like 'It is I' (the verb 'to be' governs a complement) and often say 'It's me'.

Galen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:21:03

Can you imagine the Queen saying ‘my husband and myself.”

Nonnie Sun 15-Oct-17 12:01:17

All of the above plus 'no problem' what I have thanked someone. Whoever suggested there was?

And while I'm at it PIN number! Would you say personal identification number number? No of course not. I am so obsessed by this one that when someone simply says PIN number I thank them!

gulligranny Sun 15-Oct-17 11:48:55

I'm increasingly concerned about the mis-use of rob or robbing when steal or stealing is what's actually meant. It's yet another thing that has me shouting at the tv/radio!

giulia Sun 08-Oct-17 06:44:50

grandtanteJE65 - I was also taught that oneself should be referred to last in a sentence: Tom and I went... He told Tom and me...

BlueBelle Sat 07-Oct-17 14:45:54

No don’t like that one Mrsmopp
I do like haitch and am now in the habit I think it’s sounds more h like ...... I guess pronunciations are always ever changing

The one I really really hate is ‘WE are pregnant’ no WE’ RE not ‘you are pregnant’

mrsmopp Sat 07-Oct-17 14:24:48

Halfway through a lunch the waitress asks us, 'Is everything all right for yourselves today?'
Eh?

JanaNana Mon 04-Sep-17 22:55:33

It's also incorrect to say for example: can you sign this "for me", can you do this "for me", the word to use is please. ...Can you sign this please.....Can you do this please. The addition of adding "for me" by many people in a variety of jobs is completely wrong and makes me want to yell " no I can"t. I was on a business studies training course many years ago when being told of this and I notice it more than ever being used.Ugh!

Welshwife Tue 29-Aug-17 15:34:20

I get wound up with - bought and brought- lend and borrow - etc.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 29-Aug-17 13:57:26

myself can also be used for emphasis, as in: "I myself would never say it, but the younger generation says "me and my sister".

I was taught that one should always mention oneself last in a sentence.

Day6 Tue 29-Aug-17 13:52:52

Aaaargh. Restaurant, not recent.

Day6 Tue 29-Aug-17 13:52:01

I loathe it when we walk into an establishment and the meet and greeter calls us "guys". A simple good evening would suffice. It's everywhere...Everywhere I go I am a 'guy' even though I am a woman! In a good recent recently the waiter asked "What can I get you guys?"

Surely valued customers are more than 'guys'?

Oh and I am sorely temepted to slap anyone ordering a coffee who asks "Can I GET..."

To get it, they'd have to climb over the counter and retrieve the cup.

Whatever happened to "I'll have..." with a 'please' added at the end? Is it too difficult for some?

Meer13511 Tue 29-Aug-17 12:53:43

He should have used 'I'
I, you, he, she, it ,we and they are all followed by a verb'

myself' is a reflexive pronoun.
e.g. I washed myself

Stella14 Tue 29-Aug-17 12:27:59

The misuse of fewer and less has me grinding my teeth! TV Journalists (and for that matter those writing for the Guardian and the Independent) frequently make all of these errors these days, and people tend to learn from TV. Of course, TV Presentors who can't string a grammatically correct sentence together to save their lives, are now employed 'for authenticity'! ???

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:29:53

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RUpcxq92o

Jalima1108 Tue 29-Aug-17 11:26:24

It seems to have spread from being used by holiday reps in resorts (one had us in quiet hysterics as she described how Gary and Myself are here to cater to your every need etc).

Victoria Wood was excellent at poking fun at ' and myself' :
Wendy and Myself etc grin

Oh how we miss her!

quizqueen Tue 29-Aug-17 01:41:30

The answer to the question you pose, lemongrove (lovely nickname btw), is surely t-h-i-s!

lemongrove Mon 28-Aug-17 20:24:18

maddy629 I get around that awkward cunundrum by saying 'me an 'im indoors*?

instagran Mon 28-Aug-17 19:55:39

One thing that constantly (I should have a herd by now!) gets my goat is when talking to a call centre and the ask me "Can you confirm your address for me please?" They get really baffled if I tell them to let me know what they've got, then I'll confirm or otherwise.