Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Estate Agents' Use of English

(97 Posts)
Alexa Sat 14-Apr-18 00:56:14

The tiling is complementary not "complimentary".

And why not simply say that the garage has a side door instead of a "personel" door, or a "personal" door?

sparkly1000 Sun 15-Apr-18 00:08:34

I was thinking of starting a new post about experiences of house viewings and selling but Willow has beaten me to it.
I'm sure we all have a tale to tell. So here goes with mine.
Viewing a bog- standard semi every interior door was chewed and would need replacing, the " Easy maintainable garden" was a concrete dog pound
Just as we were leaving I noticed I noticed a damp patch by the front door, I mentioned this to the vendor, his reply.
"No damp, that just where the dog cocks his leg when he comes in from his walk everyday!".
Needless to say, despite being dog lovers, we didn't pursue the sale.

mabon1 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:16:21

The grammar of many people who post on this platform is dreadful!!!

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 09:27:12

Mabon1, I have noticed you criticising people's grammar on several threads recently. Even if you are right, it's really rather rude and unnecessary!

Happysexagenarian Sun 15-Apr-18 09:28:17

mabon1 May I politely suggest that you take an interest in the topic being discussed, rather than simply criticising other people's standards of English. This is supposed to be a pleasant place for everyone to converse and exchange views, not a test of ones language skills!

Kim19 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:34:33

I'm so pleased never to have used one in my life. They certainly don't get a good press in general and yet I daresay many of them do their level best for both parties.

Lilypops Sun 15-Apr-18 09:34:39

Well said Happy, Mabon 1must have nothing better to do and all day to do it in. She constantly comments on grammar , not the topic being discussed, how sad is she!

inishowen Sun 15-Apr-18 09:58:09

We had an estate agent describe our house as chic, pronounced "chick"!

Saggi Sun 15-Apr-18 10:03:08

In my life I've owned two houses only, and both were described by an excellent 'down -to-earth' estate agent exactly how they were ... one was an end terrace and the one I'm in one a three bed semi..... the only 'expansion' he made was in saying that this house was 'up for expansion to a four-bed' . He was spot on although we never did expand. Wish we had.... next door expanded and it's now a lovely family home....ah well!

janeainsworth Sun 15-Apr-18 10:04:23

Mabon Could I politely suggest that when you deplore others’ grammar, you could be specific in your criticisms.
As one who was once described on another forum as ‘Queen of the Pedants’, I find it frustrating when you merely make a general, derogatory statement.
I’m interested in grammar and usage, but haven’t got time to trawl through all the posts, trying to identify exactly what it is that you’re complaining about.
Thanks!

Nellie54 Sun 15-Apr-18 10:10:55

We viewed a house where lady continued making a curry and looking outside the drain was over flowing! Amazed as viewing time had been chosen by the owner. Dare not comment on bedrooms!!
A ‘ so called’ upmarket area as well

TellNo1Ok Sun 15-Apr-18 10:42:50

Maybe a bit off topic .... but whats this about TWO TIMES ????
Why have we stopped using TWICE???

Eg “ two times gold medalist” ... surely “twice gold medalist” ....
Is it because America does not “know” the word TWICE?

MawBroon Sun 15-Apr-18 10:50:43

mabon1 Sun 15
The grammar of many people who post on this platform is dreadful !!! (sic)
As are the manners of others.

May I add that I personally deprecate the overuse of exclamation marks by some. Hardly best usage.

Fennel Sun 15-Apr-18 10:51:26

The phrase that puzzles me is "deceptively large" - does it mean it is large, or looks large and is small?

Musicelf Sun 15-Apr-18 11:01:41

Fennel - grin

"Located in the ever-popular ......... area" - makes me shudder every time.

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Apr-18 11:14:15

Maybe, in your opinion, the level of grammar is dreadful, mabon1, but I (and I’m sure every other poster on this thread), have not failed to understand the gist of what is being said. None of us are sitting an English language exam on this forum, just passing comments about estate agents and such like.

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:17:41

Eg “ two times gold medalist” ... surely “twice gold medalist” ....
I think there are two ls in medallist

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 11:23:47

I'm told be my son that no-one says twice any more (gone the way of thrice I suppose). Also apparently no-one says fortnight any longer -creeping Americanisation?

Myym Sun 15-Apr-18 11:25:54

mabon1 (no capital letters used as this is how you have chosen to name yourself) I am confident that many of the people here on Gransnet have a relatively good level of English. I personally choose to write on this site in an informal manner. If I was writing an article for print, a business letter or other formal communication I would take my time to be more pedantic about my use of grammar, spelling and vocabulary. Not because I do not value the other users on this site, but simply because I see a forum as a means of communicating a conversation.
If I were sat with my feet up enjoying a coffee with a friend I would not be anxious about the use of correct vocabulary, so why should I fret over my written messages if I consider myself to be having an informal 'chat' albeit on a forum media.

On the subject in question... I bought a house described as open-plan which in reality equated to the fact the previous occupant had removed all the interior doors as he had punched holes in them and the staircase had no bannister and was like climbing Everest without a safety rope.

Charleygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 11:36:03

mabon1 you should have had the decency to tell me that I was sitting an English exam at A level grade rather than having an informal discussion.

My apologies if my grammar is not up to your high standards. My Scottish private school education is obviously sadly inadequate but you cannot fault me on spelling- the nuns would be pleased.

Overthehills Sun 15-Apr-18 11:37:10

Willow I think we bought that house!!

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:39:24

It's not our grammar which is at fault, Charleygirl - it is that of the estate agents whom we are quoting.

(Was that better? Probably not, it sounds very strange and stilted.)

Charleygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 11:42:02

Are you sure Jalima? It appeared to be very personal to me.

Overthehills Sun 15-Apr-18 11:43:06

So that’s you tellt mabon! As one says here in Scotland!

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:46:11

Charleygirl there's nowt wrong with me grammar, it's them estate agents what I am quoting what gets it wrong.

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:47:05

sorry - grammatical error blush
it's them estate agents what I am quoting as gets it wrong.