Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Thanks for the offer, but I will NOT take my clothes off!

(34 Posts)
phoenix Wed 10-Oct-18 22:12:48

Evening all, sending every good wish.

Having had problems with my Wifi, and phoning the company concerned, only to be told that current waiting times were around 45 minutes shock, I opted for the online chat thing.

Well, that was subject to long delays too, so I went shopping (nothing exciting, just food) and tried again on my return.

Apart from being referred to as "Sir", which I CBA to correct, on 2 occasions I had messages saying "please bare with me while I check this for you" (I suppose I should be thankful that they didn't say "for yourself" which really invades my nasal cavity)

Well, if the person in the online customer service team feels the desire to disrobe, fair play to them, as long as it doesn't disturb their colleagues, but I am not prepared to join in!

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Oct-18 22:32:41

Perhaps the customer services person thought the alternative spelling involved teddies.

annsixty Thu 11-Oct-18 07:29:34

To misquote the late lamented Eric Morecambe, right letters, wrong order.

aggie Thu 11-Oct-18 07:33:54

Ann grin

Moocow Thu 11-Oct-18 07:56:17

grin spell checker dies not help people either. Thanks for the chuckle pheonix

Moocow Thu 11-Oct-18 07:58:00

Does does does ahhhh I loath predictve text with my eyesight and rushing to quickly post, it happens too often!

FarNorth Thu 11-Oct-18 08:09:05

Maybe the chat operators have trouble with predictive text also.

TillyWhiz Thu 11-Oct-18 10:09:46

Defiantly - or should that be definitely?!

NotSpaghetti Thu 11-Oct-18 10:14:54

My bugbear is when people say "please can you confirm your address". I want to just say "yes I could if you tell me what you've got". What they really mean is "what is your address please". Obviously they can't have me confirm something they haven't already told me....
NO idea why this in particular makes me sigh and tut to myself!
I think the meaning of "confirm" must be shifting. Don't expect my adult children even notice.

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 11-Oct-18 10:44:24

NotSpaghetti, I couldn't agree with you more.

youngagain Thu 11-Oct-18 10:45:57

My bugbear is being called by my christian name and not by Mrs ...... I have been asked on occasion how I would like to be called, which I think is very respectful, but when someone thinks it's ok to immediately call me by my christian name it really 'gets my goat' as the saying goes. I now tend to say - I don't know you so please call me Mrs ..... I must admit that so far this has not caused any problems and the people concerned have been very polite.

muddynails Thu 11-Oct-18 10:57:25

Was "bugBEAR" an accidental pun Not Spaghetti?

Oh be a sport Phoenix, you can drop the blind and do it to the music of the stripper grin

vickya Thu 11-Oct-18 11:14:58

Well, as long as it is just text chat, a little window or voice on the phone it is ok, but not if skype or facetime. smile I don't like being addressed by my first name either by strangers.

Legs55 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:15:50

youngagain that aggrieves me too especially as my "Official" 1st name is not the one I'm known as. Even the do you mind if I call you I.... will make my hackles rise. I do prefer to be Mrs as a) that is my title b) I am probably old enough to be your mother/grandmother c) it's all about respect.

On-line chat is abysmal, the spelling is awful but I do think being asked to "bare with me " is a step too far but it did give me a giggle grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:35:26

To misquote Eric Morcombe, "the plays what I wrote" also comes to mind. So often these days 'what' is in a sentence where it has no place.
Don't get me started on many a statement beginning with, "So."

Tweedle24 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:42:58

Even more pedantic - ‘can you’ would get the response, “Yes, I can. Do you want me to?”

Ankara2005 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:54:52

Why do people say "What WAS your name?" I always reply "When?"

moobox Thu 11-Oct-18 11:58:03

Sometimes, if it meant I could get live chat instead of Musak on the phone for half an hour, I would probably agree to bear the baring all. As long as it's not on webcam!! I love live chat. It's like emailing without the 5 day delay. You can think what you want to say and how to phrase it. I have had discounts arranged through live chat; I've cancelled services with organisations like Sky that one hates to phone; I've even persuaded phone companies to refund premium call charges that way.

However, my pedantic antennae bristle when I see these so called achievers on the Apprentice. Their creative weeks are always totally marred by complete lack .of spelling and grammar. This week the idiotic girls planned an educational comic about French, full of grammatical errors, and in the end without any French, as not one of them could spell patisserie or croissant or any other French words.

Funnygran Thu 11-Oct-18 12:01:53

'Can I get' is one of my pet hates too. I'm well known in the family for correcting or being annoyed by bad grammar. Last week I sent a jokey response to my son who had sent me a very ambiguous message. He sent me a one word reply - pedant! Guilty as charged!

GreenGran78 Thu 11-Oct-18 12:10:41

Younger people don’t seem to worry about spelling and grammar as much as we do. I just try to find the errors amusing, instead of getting irritated by them. I had a little giggle over someone on our local Freegle group yesterday. They were offering a Chester draws to some lucky person.

Conni7 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:05:43

I've given up on most of these. It seems they teach "haitch" , "different to" and "bored of" at school nowadays. Language changes, but should grammar?

GabriellaG Thu 11-Oct-18 16:23:52

Many thanks for the good wishes phoenix
Your pleasant greeting always makes me smile
I'm another who just can't abide sloppy copy but my dislike may be a little more extreme than yours.
Yes, the bare/bear rears it's ugly head again as does there/their/they're, lead/lead/led and your/you're/you among many hundreds of other illiterate jottings.
I have tried to learned to turn off my irritation. hmm

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 17:28:26

I love the image of all the call centre folk in the nude inviting frustrated IT users,to strip off too!
Oh my conni which schools are teaching that? How dreadful..are you sure?

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 17:35:30

Just checked conni The link shows what Y6 kids are expected to know re spelling & grammar.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/2016-key-stage-2-english-grammar-punctuation-and-spelling-sample-test-materials-mark-scheme-and-test-administration-instructions

jocork Thu 11-Oct-18 17:36:53

I work in a school as a Learning Support Assistant and am often shocked at the sloppy grammar of some of the teachers. Both my AC have been know to correct friends' grammar on Facebook posts. On one occasion my DD did just that, then apologised saying "I was raised by the grammar police" ie. me! Incidentally I've found recently people use ie. instead of eg. which often makes no sense!