Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Priti Patel, PLEASE recognise and use the letter G!

(95 Posts)
phoenix Fri 22-May-20 17:11:09

Sorry, I know it's petty, but her persistent lack of "g" on the end of "ing" words is driving me mad!

Travellin , workin, isolatin, breakin, etc.

Listenin (sic) out for these distracts me from actually focusin on what she's sayin.

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:33:25

Oh for goodness' sake! She’s not going to change the way she speaks now. Don’t listen to her if you don’t like it!

mcem Fri 22-May-20 17:35:28

Trying ignore the sense of frustration but I agree ,OP.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-May-20 17:40:31

I find Boris Johnson with his ums and ers and general waffle very irritating too, but there are some occasions, Baggs, when it is necessary to listen to these people who have somehow got quite important jobs in this country just now. As they are supposed to be able to communicate with the public, they should get advice on how to do so IMO. I don't know why you feel you should immediately attack phoenix rather than reply to her point.

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:44:21

No, it isn't sometimes necessary to listen to them. You can read what they have to say. It's what I do cos I find most of them irritating.

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:45:37

My frustration on this thread is because the same criticism of the way PP speaks has been aired before by the same person. It's tiresome.

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 17:45:55

Just listening to her now, hadn’t noticed her lack of g’s before you said.
She is very clear though.

Oh, just heard a ‘workin’ !

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:45:59

And probably snobby.

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:46:58

Yes, calendar, on the one or two occasions I have happened to hear something PP's saying, I've thought she spoke clearly.

Baggs Fri 22-May-20 17:47:28

Was English even her first language?

In short, get off her back, phoenix.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-May-20 17:50:12

Oh dear - I give up. Poor wee Pritti Patel; we mustn't criticise her as she's such a kind and caring Home Secretary.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-May-20 17:51:44

On the other hand, we can say what we like to phoenix, who is such an unkind person for mentioning PP's irritating way of speaking, is that the new rule?

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 18:01:18

Try turning the volume down and putting the subtitles on if it offends you so much.

It used to be quite funny when Tony Blair started putting on a Estuary English accent half way through his reign! A bit late to convince anyone that he was just one of us.

Pantglas2 Fri 22-May-20 18:04:02

If criticism of accents is deemed rude, surely the same applies to diction?

varian Fri 22-May-20 18:04:49

Listening to Pritti Patel's slavish justification of everything this Vote Leave government, led by Dominic Cummings, does is cringeable enough, but her inability to pronounce any word ending in "ing" makes it worse.

varian Fri 22-May-20 18:08:52

Actually her accent is the least objectionable thing about Pritti Patel. It is merely irritating. The fact that she is our Home Secretary and was promoted well beyond her level of competence because she was a true believer in brexit, is tragic.

As one commentator has said "She has a unique combination of viciousness and stupidity - ideal for a Tory Home Secretary"

phoenix Fri 22-May-20 18:10:52

Actually, it was the radio, which doesn't have subtitles.

Baggs you obviously have a better memory than I , as I don't remember posting about Ms. Patels pronunciation previously, I'm perhaps become senile, "tiresome" or possibly both.

Dinahmo Fri 22-May-20 18:13:01

Dropping the g at the end of words was thought to be posh - eg huntin, shootin and fishin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-May-20 18:14:51

Blimey baggs unusual for you to get yourself into such a twist. You are usually so (apparently) laid back about such issues.

Patel drives me mad. I heartily agree with the OP as well as other comments about Patel. Dreadful woman.

Witzend Fri 22-May-20 18:15:00

Honestly, I think some of them do it - that and dropping their Ts - in order to sound (as they think) a bit more ‘edgy’ or more like what they graciously like to think of as ‘ordinary’ people.

I swear some of the presenters on the Beeb now are instructed to drop Ts, whether they normally would or not. (‘We can’t risk sounding remotely posh!’)

Urmstongran Fri 22-May-20 19:00:51

Beth Rigby from Sky does it too!

As a northern girl myself, I spent one summer when I was 17y with my posh aunt and cousins who lived in Esher. Huge house, gravel path, leafy lane, they lived opposite some bigwig in the government.

Anyroad up, here was I from Old Trafford, Lancs. I was mocked (sort of kindly, but still ... ) for pronouncing the ‘g’ at the end of words. Got told it was ‘common’. The barb pierced. That was 50y ago.

phoenix Fri 22-May-20 19:14:07

Ah, but sometimes it can be over pronounced! Susan in the Archers is an example.

(Think I may just as well don my tin helmet and get behind the sofa now)

GrannyLaine Fri 22-May-20 19:14:09

I'm right with you on this one phoenix
It's not so much the dropped 'g' but that it's out of kilter with the rest of her pronunciation. So, if it was part of a regional dialect it wouldn't be a problem for me, but the rest of her syntax is quite formal. I know little of her as a person, but this characteristic makes me shout at the TV is slightly annoying

Urmstongran Fri 22-May-20 19:17:06

I’m off to practice some softer ‘g’s’ ?

lemongrove Fri 22-May-20 21:41:43

Yes, there was another thread on this subject a couple of months ago...don’t know who the OP was.
I find a lot of politicians irritating to listen to ( from all political parties) voice/ mannerisms/ etc and only listen at all if I really really want to know the content of the speech.