Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Children in shopping trollies

(229 Posts)
MollyAA12 Tue 06-Apr-21 13:56:44

Does anyone else get mad at seeing children sitting inside shopping trollies.

After successful lobbying at Waitrose I got this knocked on the head. However, at Tesco I regularly see kids in nappies and outside shoes sitting in trollies. This is so dangerous Even without the virus, sputum, dog wee and dog poo contain horrible bacteria. When I have complained the assistants say they will not approach mothers with children in trollies. I even wrote to Tesco head office many years ago and had a reply saying that this would be stopped. Laugh out loud.

I did speak to a mother once and she told me p off.

Redhead56 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:19:43

I did a hygiene course the dirtiest objects in shops and retail were found to be shopping trollies. (No I don't have the source of info it was two years ago). Tests carried out in random shops produced results that were shocking. Excrement sperm pubic hairs phelgm it doesn't bare thinking about. I agree children should not be sitting in them. The next dirtiest objects were high chairs the same bacteria was found on them too.

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Apr-21 14:30:47

Yes, it's utterly revolting
Well done for your campaign against it!

suziewoozie Tue 06-Apr-21 14:32:47

Another argument in favour of online supermarket shopping ? ( which I am never going to relinquish)

Galaxy Tue 06-Apr-21 14:34:53

I am much more worried about the sperm now to be honest.

Pantglas2 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:38:06

Galaxy

Tee hee Galaxy ?

Davida1968 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:38:07

If a supermarket (or any other shop) wouldn't listen to my concerns, then I'd stop shopping there.

Vickysponge Tue 06-Apr-21 14:40:21

MollyAA12

Does anyone else get mad at seeing children sitting inside shopping trollies.

After successful lobbying at Waitrose I got this knocked on the head. However, at Tesco I regularly see kids in nappies and outside shoes sitting in trollies. This is so dangerous Even without the virus, sputum, dog wee and dog poo contain horrible bacteria. When I have complained the assistants say they will not approach mothers with children in trollies. I even wrote to Tesco head office many years ago and had a reply saying that this would be stopped. Laugh out loud.

I did speak to a mother once and she told me p off.

Completely agree! It’s disgusting ! ?

nanaK54 Tue 06-Apr-21 14:42:38

Galaxy

Me too - how, just how? confused

SueDonim Tue 06-Apr-21 14:49:02

I’ve often wondered, even pre-CV, why trollies don’t get put through some sort of washing process, like an automatic carwash. Maybe not with every use but once a day at least.

Suziewoozie online deliveries don’t mean you escape! Our local supermarket uses an ordinary trolley in which to gather the items for online deliveries. ? ?

Iam64 Tue 06-Apr-21 15:40:52

SueDonim

I’ve often wondered, even pre-CV, why trollies don’t get put through some sort of washing process, like an automatic carwash. Maybe not with every use but once a day at least.

Suziewoozie online deliveries don’t mean you escape! Our local supermarket uses an ordinary trolley in which to gather the items for online deliveries. ? ?

Exactly so. Put the trollies through a hot wash.

crazyH Tue 06-Apr-21 15:45:10

Sperm?????

suziewoozie Tue 06-Apr-21 15:47:09

Iam64

SueDonim

Exactly so. Put the trollies through a hot wash.

I don’t think mine come from the local supermarket but of course I have no way of knowing how they get from the shelf ( wherever that is) into the carrier bag. Oh well, at least I don’t see the filthy trolley?

Mogsmaw Tue 06-Apr-21 15:48:51

I too hate to see children in shopping trolleys but my concern is when they are leaning over the front. If it comes to a sudden stop they are headfirst onto a concrete floor. It makes my blood run cold every time I see it.

AGAA4 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:15:06

I sometimes find the handles of shopping trolleys are sticky and disgusting and that gunk will be inside as well.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 16:38:17

M&S were the best last week as although I wear gloves throughout my shop, they wiped the handles of the trolley with a new wipe on entry inside. This was done with everyone.

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Apr-21 16:44:14

EllenVannin I always pull my trolley towards me by the front rail after going through the till. I always clean all the way round now. I can’t be the only one that does.

eazybee Tue 06-Apr-21 16:44:39

I do agree with you about children in shopping trollies, dirty and unhygienic, but at least they are confined. Worst of all are children running around. Two little girls were chasing each other round the aisles and one went full tilt into my shopping trolley and split her forehead open. Fortunately shop assistants saw what happened, as the parents, particularly the father, were trying to blame me for not looking where I was going.
Today I witnessed a boy, about 5, at the top of the down escalator in Tesco's running on the spot; in the end his older sister, about 8, persuaded him to get off; mother was at the other end of the store, oblivious.

welbeck Tue 06-Apr-21 16:44:52

i have been wearing vinyl gloves while doing shopping for many years.
also wipe down handles, sides and inside of trolley since wipes have been provided.
i also wipe each item on return with detergent or anti-bac wipe. i alway used to do this, then got lazy over the years, but started again feb last year and will continue.

SueDonim Tue 06-Apr-21 17:54:47

What the eye doesn’t see, Suzie! It must vary from store to store, I think. In the store I used most before CV, the pickers just have an ordinary trolley. In a different store, they have a fancy special trolley with crates on different levels so eg frozen/fridge goes in the top one, dry goods in the middle one, fruit & veg in the lower one.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:03:31

One chain of supermarkets here in Denmark have invested in a machine that sterilises the wheeled basket trolleys after every use.

I hope they get good results and it becomes normal to clean both kinds of baskets and trolleys after every use in all shops.

Cafeteria trays used to be as bad, then most cafeterias started using plastic trays that could go through the dish-washer and ended each shift by washing the trays. Unfortunately, during a shift they were just wiped down with a cloth!

This is surely worse than dirty supermarket trolleys!

Now with the move away from plastic and back to form-pressed sawdust or bark I am afraid cafeteria trays will again become a source of infection!

sodapop Wed 07-Apr-21 12:52:28

That sounds like a good idea to wash the trollies regularly Grandtante I'm surprised it's not happening in all supermarkets.
There are areas of hygiene which could and should be improved but let's be careful not to go overboard with all the sanitizing.

Why is this in pedants corner, have I missed something.

suziewoozie Wed 07-Apr-21 13:26:16

SueDonim

What the eye doesn’t see, Suzie! It must vary from store to store, I think. In the store I used most before CV, the pickers just have an ordinary trolley. In a different store, they have a fancy special trolley with crates on different levels so eg frozen/fridge goes in the top one, dry goods in the middle one, fruit & veg in the lower one.

My next order is Saturday - I’m going to ask the delivery driver ?

FindingNemo15 Wed 07-Apr-21 13:35:45

Children sitting inside trolleys and litter are my two pet hates.

Hithere Wed 07-Apr-21 13:47:36

I think trollies being stored together, in the street, under the rain, people put their bags inside, we do not know what kind of hygiene they keep in the warehouse for the items we buy, etc...

Kids are the least of trolly problems. Dont kids wear clothes to cover the diapers anyway?

I feel as grans, it is harder for you to sympathize with moms with young kids and daily activities - are you aware how hard is to go grocery shopping with a child?

It takes 3 or more times longer than normal, the kid wants everything and tears, wants to run to everywhere, little grabby hands, etc.

Ways easier to put the child inside the trolley - honestly.

I bet if a child is running wild with the parent chasing the kid - posters wouldnt be happy and judge the parent too. No win situation

And yes, a stranger comes to me to tell me my child shouldn't be in the trolley, you would be told politely to mind your own business.