Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Children in shopping trollies

(230 Posts)
MollyAA12 Tue 06-Apr-21 13:56:44

Does anyone else get mad at seeing children sitting inside shopping trollies.

After successful lobbying at Waitrose I got this knocked on the head. However, at Tesco I regularly see kids in nappies and outside shoes sitting in trollies. This is so dangerous Even without the virus, sputum, dog wee and dog poo contain horrible bacteria. When I have complained the assistants say they will not approach mothers with children in trollies. I even wrote to Tesco head office many years ago and had a reply saying that this would be stopped. Laugh out loud.

I did speak to a mother once and she told me p off.

SueDonim Wed 07-Apr-21 13:51:57

Do report back here, Suzie! It’ll be interesting to know.

JaneJudge Wed 07-Apr-21 13:54:29

Galaxy

I am much more worried about the sperm now to be honest.

grin grin grin

janeainsworth Wed 07-Apr-21 14:03:25

I think it’s a positive experience for children to go to the supermarket with a parent, Covid aside.
How else are they to learn about the fact that food costs money and that choices can be made about the food we eat.
I’m sure if supermarket trollies were a danger to public health, there would be evidence to demonstrate it by now.
If it really makes you anxious, it only takes two seconds to wipe over with sanitiser.

Witzend Wed 07-Apr-21 14:11:41

I honestly can’t say it bothers me at all, but then I’m not obsessed with hygiene and disinfecting everything. My children used to sit in supermarket trolleys when they were little - surely better than having them running around and touching everything - especially now.

Doodledog Wed 07-Apr-21 14:42:21

It's a miracle so many of us are still around, really.

Grannynannywanny Wed 07-Apr-21 16:08:00

I recently saw a baby about 9 months old sitting in the appropriate seat at handle end of the trolley. She had the trolley coin unlocking device in her little hand chewing on it. Each time the chain fell from her hand her mother handed it back to her to put in her mouth. I’m sure the metal felt cool on her teething gums but my goodness it must have been utterly filthy.

welbeck Wed 07-Apr-21 16:23:24

under the Regs, as you probably know there is a requirement for supermarkets etc to collect WEEE.
while packing at aldi i once saw a young mum helpfully give her child the very small battery that he was trying to reach, from the WEEE collection box.
he was in a pushchair.
i had to intervene. she seemed to have no notion of the potential serious danger. she complied with my request and returned the battery to the receptacle. i explained why. the look on on all their faces, including older boy about 6, was that the children were routinely given whatever they wanted.

Witzend Wed 07-Apr-21 16:32:13

Why is this in Pedants’ Corner? confused

MaizieD Wed 07-Apr-21 17:00:39

I can only comment that despite all the super filthy things that happen, when we're not around to see them, to contaminate every surface we may handle, we are still alive.

I really would like to know how that sperm gets onto shopping trollies, though...

JaneJudge Wed 07-Apr-21 17:03:06

MaizieD it is to do with people not washing their hands and not being generally hygienic.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Apr-21 18:21:43

Witzend

You bloody pedant you!

Doodledog Wed 07-Apr-21 19:28:14

FannyCornforth

Witzend

You bloody pedant you!

grin

H1954 Wed 07-Apr-21 19:39:50

I do 'scan and shop' so the shopping goes directly into our own bags but I have concerns too about trolley hygiene and the actions of some parents.
After witnessing a child sustain a very serious head injury after falling out of a shopping trolley one day it sickens me to see parents allows their kids to stand inside them; I pointed this out to a mum once and was told to mind my own f*****g business. I wish that particular Mum had seen the accident that I had witnessed.

grannyrebel7 Wed 07-Apr-21 22:31:03

This would never cross my mind! Where are parents supposed to put young children if not in a trolley when they're shopping?

mokryna Thu 08-Apr-21 00:16:56

^ It takes 3 or more times longer than normal, the kid wants everything and tears, wants to run to everywhere, little grabby hands, etc^
Mine had to sit on the seat provided with the older ones walking, holding onto the side. When I take my DGC shopping I tell them how I expect them to behave before hand and I don’t have any problems.

Juicylucy Thu 08-Apr-21 10:34:40

I used to work in Sainsbury’s and every time I saw that happen I’d tell security and they would deal with it. Also children wizzing around on those trainers that have skates on the bottom. It’s dangerous and as many have said disgusting.

Aepgirl Thu 08-Apr-21 10:37:35

Why do parents do this when there are perfectly good seats on the trolleys. It is unhygienic and dangerous.

As for trolleys being dirty, Waitrose wash and sanitizer theirs after each use. They have bays for ‘used’ and ‘clean’ trolleys. Personally, I find Tesco is just about the grubbiness of all shops.

clair1966 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:37:52

Redhead56

I did a hygiene course the dirtiest objects in shops and retail were found to be shopping trollies. (No I don't have the source of info it was two years ago). Tests carried out in random shops produced results that were shocking. Excrement sperm pubic hairs phelgm it doesn't bare thinking about. I agree children should not be sitting in them. The next dirtiest objects were high chairs the same bacteria was found on them too.

Life really is too short without the virus to be wasting your time worrying about what other people are doing, sort your own life out before you preach to the masses

didimumisit Thu 08-Apr-21 10:38:53

This has always been one of my biggest bug bearers in shopping its not just children in nappies but older ones sat in there as well. Thats why now at Asda I use the self scan so I can at least put my food straight into my bags

Froglady Thu 08-Apr-21 10:39:23

Yes I think it's awful that children are allowed to sit in the body of the shopping trolley. I don't want to put my shopping where a child's bottom has been. It is unhygienic and it's also encouraging the child to be lazy and not to be expected to walk round the store.

Harris27 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:44:59

I think because if the virus everyone is overthinking things. Yes shopping trolleys are unhygienic but as my son pointed out most of our germs come from door handles just think how many people have touched those before us in loos and shops.

Nanny27 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:45:49

Surely young children should be sitting in the little trolley seat. Children too old for that should be able to behave properly in a supermarket. I have brought up 3 of my own and 7 gc including a set of twins. So yes, Hithere many of us grans understand perfectly well how difficult it can be but we managed without upsetting other shoppers.

Albangirl14 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:47:24

I dislike people putting their wheelie shopping bags in the trolley more than children who are usually in the trolley seats.

Theresamb Thu 08-Apr-21 10:48:38

I don’t have children but I do understand why some parents have to do this, when they have multiple small children the only way they can shop is to utilise the trolley basket, or maybe you think they shouldn’t be allowed to shop in supermarkets. Your concern should also include the older generation who put their outside trolleys inside the supermarket trolley, I’ve never seen anyone ever clean the wheels prior, and I bet they’re dirtier then kids shoes, shoes get changed every few months while those trolleys may very well have been going for years.
There you go you’ve got rid of 2 groups of shoppers, lone parents with multiple children and elderly ladies who need help getting their shopping home.

Paperbackwriter Thu 08-Apr-21 10:49:50

Witzend

I honestly can’t say it bothers me at all, but then I’m not obsessed with hygiene and disinfecting everything. My children used to sit in supermarket trolleys when they were little - surely better than having them running around and touching everything - especially now.

Yes, I'm with you there. Surely there are more important things to worry about? I really find it unpleasant that when some people reach grandparent level, they suddenly forget how it felt to be a parent of young children!
The sperm thing though... that's well weird!