Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

A grammar/parts of speech question

(57 Posts)
Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 17:53:16

Are words still called 'parts of speech'? It seems rather old-fashioned, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Can anyone help me to differentiate between the uses of the word 'difficult', please?

What I mean is, how to define the terms as used in the following ways:

'It was difficult to decide . . .'

'You are being difficult.'

I am going round in circles, as they seem to me both to be adjectives, but they are clearly being used in different ways - or am I overthinking that bit? I used to be good at this sort of thing, but it's so long since I needed to do get it right that I'm doubting myself.

It's for something I am writing, and I am procrastinating by trying to work it out, so if anyone knows the answer it will help me to get on with what I'm doing ?.

Cabbie21 Sat 10-Jul-21 18:01:17

Maybe I am missing something but I don’t see a difficulty. They are adjectives. The sentences are constructed differently as the verbs are in different tenses, with different pronouns.

Grandmabatty Sat 10-Jul-21 18:07:47

There is the verb 'to be difficult' and they are different parts of that. I wouldn't agree that they are adjectives.

FarNorth Sat 10-Jul-21 18:09:31

I think they are both adjectives, describing 'It' and 'You'.

foxie48 Sat 10-Jul-21 18:16:39

Difficult is an adjective, I don't think there is a verb "to be difficult" just as there isn't a verb "to be clever" etc.

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 18:20:45

You are all (separately) having the same thoughts as me ?

'It's an adjective
But it's being used as a verb in the second usage.
But is it? Or if it is, what kind of verb is it?'

I tried replacing 'difficult' with another word to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 18:21:20

Sorry - I meant to say thank you all for your contributions.

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 18:23:38

So, can some adjectives (eg clever, awkward, delightful, horrible) be used as verbs? I don't think that works, but there does seem to me to be a difference in the way the two 'difficult' are used in my OP.

confused

yggdrasil Sat 10-Jul-21 18:28:03

The second case has the word 'difficult' amending the verb 'being' Doesn't that make it an adverb?

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 18:30:15

In both cases, "difficult" is an adjective.

Peasblossom Sat 10-Jul-21 18:31:13

I’ve been puzzling over this.

You are being difficult

It seems to me this is an adjective. The verb ‘being’ is a bit of a red herring.

You are difficult is no different to you are pretty or you are happy. It describes you so it’s an adjective.

But It was difficult to decide is I think an adverb. Rephrase to

To decide was difficult.

It qualifies the verb to decide.

Very, very willing to be put right though.

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 18:36:03

yggdrasil

The second case has the word 'difficult' amending the verb 'being' Doesn't that make it an adverb?

"Difficult" is describing "you" not the verb. The same thing happens with parts of the verb "to become".

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 18:40:40

"To decide" is acting as an infinitive noun phrase. Therefore, it needs an adjective to qualify it.

Flexagon Sat 10-Jul-21 18:42:01

Difficult can be a verb but the OED describe it as rare: This example:

2010 J. Harding Florence & Giles xxiv. 190 It difficulted me greatly that I could think of no way to get Theo into the house.

You may need to log into OED with a library card number to access these links:

www.oed.com/view/Entry/52486?rskey=KAHNwV&result=2&isAdvanced=false#eid

Your first example is an adjective - again from OED:

Of an action, undertaking, practice, etc.: requiring much effort or skill to do, carry out, or accomplish. Frequently with anticipatory it, often with to-infinitive, as it is difficult to.

1969 M. Pugh Last Place Left xxvii. 194 It was difficult recruiting men.

Your second example also an adjective:

Hard to please or satisfy; not easy to deal with or get on with; awkward, unaccommodating; demanding; fussy.

1975 Whig-Standard (Kingston, Ont.) 21 Nov. 25/1 ‘You're just being difficult,’ I snapped.

www.oed.com/view/Entry/52485?rskey=KAHNwV&result=1&isAdvanced=false#eid

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 18:42:52

"It was difficult to" is an adjective + preposition collocation. "Difficult" describes "it".

Sorry to be a nerd.

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 18:48:19

Thanks again, everyone.

I can't rephrase - the phrases have to stay as they are, and I need to explain them.

It looks like we are agreed that they are both adjectives?

Are there different kinds of adjectives? Surely 'awkward' and 'green' are not the same? They both describe a noun, so are adjectives, but is it that 'awkward' can only be used to describe a living thing that makes it different from 'green', which can be used to describe either a frog or a chair?

Obviously I am clutching at straws here ?

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 18:51:34

growstuff

"It was difficult to" is an adjective + preposition collocation. "Difficult" describes "it".

Sorry to be a nerd.

Oh no, please nerd away?

It was difficult to - yes, I get that that is as you describe.

So what about 'you are difficult' or 'you are being difficult'?

Again, they seem different. 'You are beautiful' works (simple adjective?) but 'You are being beautiful' doesn't make sense.

Any nerdy answers would be much appreciated!

grannyrebel7 Sat 10-Jul-21 19:01:53

An adjective describes the verb. 'Difficult' in both sentences is an adjective. The verb is 'was' in the first & 'are' in the second.

Cabbie21 Sat 10-Jul-21 19:12:56

An adjective normally describes a noun, but here, in the given examples, it describes pronouns, it and you. Concentrating on the verbs is a red herring.

Marydoll Sat 10-Jul-21 19:14:28

It is an adjective in both contexts.

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 19:17:34

An adjective describes a noun or a pronoun, not a verb.

In both "you are difficult" and "you are being difficult", "difficult" is a complement of the subject of the sentence. The subject is being described, not the verb.

"Are" and "are being" are both parts of the verb "to be".

Cabbie21 Sat 10-Jul-21 19:22:21

Language teachers unite!

Doodledog Sat 10-Jul-21 19:33:03

growstuff

An adjective describes a noun or a pronoun, not a verb.

In both "you are difficult" and "you are being difficult", "difficult" is a complement of the subject of the sentence. The subject is being described, not the verb.

"Are" and "are being" are both parts of the verb "to be".

This makes sense, thanks. So, just to be 100% sure - I was right in my OP that they are both adjectives, but wrong that they are being used differently?

In other words, I have been overthinking - moi? ?

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 19:37:15

Cabbie21

Language teachers unite!

We have our uses! wink

Elegran Sat 10-Jul-21 19:38:34

The verb is "are." "Difficult "is an adjective.

"The leaf is green" - "is" is the verb, "green" is an adjective, a description of the leaf.

"You are beautiful" - "are" is the verb, beautiful is an adjective, a description of what you are).

"You are difficult" - "difficult" is an adjective, a desciption of what you are.

"You are being difficult" - difficult is still an adjective, but the verb has been expanded into "are being".