Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Welcome to your new board - Pensions & benefits advice

(55 Posts)
AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Oct-21 14:27:55

Hello everyone - thanks so much to all who suggested this new board for the discussion of everything related to benefits and pensions. We really hope you find it useful.

Please do use it! We periodically review all boards and those that are more tumbleweed than threads may be closed. Thanks again.

You can post in this thread to say hello etc - but if you have a pensions or benefits topic to discuss, then you can go to the main section here
www.gransnet.com/forums/pensions
and click on the 'Start a new discussion' button.

glammanana Sat 23-Oct-21 13:45:13

This is going to be such a helpful thread well done GNHQ.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 10:18:56

Millie22

Excellent news thank you HQ. Only yesterday I was trying to sort out eligibility for pension credit. I thought it might be for us but apparently not any more if only one of a couple is of pension age.

I have started a thread about the changes in claiming for mixed age couples under (I hope!) a clear heading. However, it's a bit dry - just facts. I think it will help future browsers but I do think it would be good if those who have experience added to the thread.

Also, I feel it would be worth adding any knowledge about disability benefits under the name of that benefit. I am trying to work out what we can do for a relative at the moment and finding it such a steep learning curve - yet again.

travelsafar Sun 24-Oct-21 10:38:06

Does anyone know the criteria for the Warm Front benefit? Can you also still have the WFA if you get this? Thanks in advance.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 11:20:34

You could start a Warm Front Discount (it's not a benefit) thread with that question "travelsafar". Please do or people will get very fed up with me being around all the time grin. I am convinced people need easy to find information but I know I can be a bit obsessive with these things as I found it so complicated in the past.

If we have separate headings it will mean people coming in later can find them. Mind you, if you don't agree just say. It's only my way of doing things and everyone may not agree.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 11:38:01

Oops. I hadn't noticed there is a Winter Fuel Payments thread which includes information about the Warm Front Discount here: www.gransnet.com/forums/pensions/1302501-Winter-Fuel-Payments

Millie22 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:16:03

Pippa
Thank you as I have been looking at this and it appears we will not be eligible but I'm going to check through it all again just to be sure.

bikergran Sun 24-Oct-21 20:17:36

Am I righ[hmmt in thinking I'm not eligible for Winter fuel payment hmm
I reach retirement age end of this month 66.

But have read you only qualify if born on or before 26th September 1955.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 22:51:17

bikergran

Am I righ[hmmt in thinking I'm not eligible for Winter fuel payment hmm
I reach retirement age end of this month 66.

But have read you only qualify if born on or before 26th September 1955.

It looks as if you are right. It seems you must have started receiving you pension by 26 September 1955.

PippaZ Sun 24-Oct-21 22:52:35

you pension by 26 September 1955.
Sorry, that should read "your pension by 26 September this year.

bikergran Sun 24-Oct-21 23:03:32

No surprise then.
Will put in for warm front

MerylStreep Mon 25-Oct-21 08:53:47

I’ve just read on another thread about a scheme called
The Big Difference This is to do with water bills for people on low incomes.
I’ve never heard of this one. I’m going to tell my friend about this ?

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 11:15:32

I've started a thread for this Meryl here: WaterSure scheme - help with water bills.

"WaterSure" seems to be the national name for the scheme. It has to be worth adding local scheme names, though.

I was thinking of the family member my daughter cares for. I am sure they would qualify. This "benefit" just reminded me of all the work I did (very willingly) for my mother to find out what benefits she qualified for. It's so difficult to know what you don't know. Your friend is very lucky to have you as it can be quite overwhelming doing it on your own.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 14:54:11

Those of you who have mentioned the Warm Front discount/benefit, is that what you mean, or do you actually mean the Warm Home discount?

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 15:26:26

I have put a new thread on MamaCaz "Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills", which I hope sorts these out.

Others may well be able to add to it smile

ElderlyPerson Mon 25-Oct-21 16:17:42

Here is a link to the index page of the Pensions & benefits advice forum.

car88 Tue 26-Oct-21 00:19:11

Good evening everyone new to this board got loads of questions and need advice regarding m to grandchildren who are in care we going through stage to fostering them 3 boys they have been in foster for 4 months up to now they have had 7 different social workers are daughter is back home we ith us she is doing well will get back with more details of what's going on obstacle's seem to be put in are way there words get twisted ECT ECT
My daughter was in a cohersed controlling relationship for 18 years because of this she lost her children seems so unfair he sitting pretty no to a care in the world and sending her up to 35 texts nightly saying she lost his kids and she such a bad mother couldt be further from the truth I could go on forever but I will leave it there for now
Thank you all and good night

PippaZ Tue 26-Oct-21 09:35:27

Hi car88. I'm afraid this is not an area I know anything about, but someone will.

I have started a thread for information on this called Kinship Care and Benefits here www.gransnet.com/forums/pensions/1302593-Kinship-Care-and-Benefits

If you put in your questions about benefits there I am sure someone will be able to help.

glammanana Mon 01-Nov-21 10:58:21

I have my energy supplied by Eon and last week applied for WHD because I receive Pension Credit Gaurentee,I received a payment of £140.00 credited to my account this morning which surprised me as other years it has been mid March when I have received the credit.

PippaZ Mon 01-Nov-21 13:25:04

glammanana I am going to copy your post over to the Grants and Benefits to help you pay your energy billsthread. This will hopefully help those looking at a later date.

grannyactivist Mon 01-Nov-21 15:23:33

PippaZ just wanted to come on here and say well done - you’re doing a grand job of promoting helpful links. flowers

PippaZ Mon 01-Nov-21 17:36:45

Thank you grannyactivist. You're very kind. The nicest thing is when we can all add out bits of information to help.

lemongrove Tue 02-Nov-21 08:30:57

Good to have this all in one place ( thread) so why are there other new threads now started, same subject, but not on here?

PippaZ Tue 02-Nov-21 10:07:55

lemongrove

Good to have this all in one place ( thread) so why are there other new threads now started, same subject, but not on here?

I'm not sure what you are asking, lemongrove. This thread is the new Board heading - like News and Politics or Games. I assume it will disappear eventually.

The separate threads, just as those under the two Boards I quoted, help you (hopefully) find the specific topic.

Does that answer your question?

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Nov-21 13:23:20

Hi all.
You can post in this thread to say hello etc - but if you have a particular pensions or benefits topic to discuss, then you can go to the main section here
and click on the 'Start a new discussion' button.

lemongrove Fri 05-Nov-21 21:09:37

Yes, that answers my question thanks.