Gransnet forums

Pets

Maurice goes feral!

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:54:08

Well, ok not exactly feral, but his behaviour was most out of character!

He is usually a very gentlemanly cat, with impeccable manners. Never flicks his food about (unlike the dear departed Clucky, who would dip an elegant paw into the bowl, extract a chunk of meat and nibble it daintily, completely oblivious to the specks of jelly or gravy that were now adorning the walls in sort of spatter pattern, slightly reminiscent of an early Jackson Pollock).

Admittedly, Maurice does sometimes overdo the chewing, putting his head to one side and chomping away with his back teeth as if he is tackling a haunch of wildebeest that he has managed to bring down single handed whilst it was drinking at the watering hole, but generally his "table" manners are beyond reproach.

However a short while ago I saw another side of him. I was browning some diced venison for a casserole and found a piece that was rather gristly. (I had bought it in Morrisons, cheaper than Lidl, but I think Lidl's is better quality). I took this piece out of the pan and put it on one side, remarking to Mr P that I would save it for Maurice, as he has never tried venison before.

This is not favouritism, by the way, Lily won't touch anything that isn't specifically labelled as cat food, and we have yet to find anything that Digby regards as a treat. Other than the air stone from the fish tank, but that's another story. Maurice on the other hand is known for his willingness to try anything, hence his love of Stilton, smoked salmon and (more recently) Toblerone confused He is also rather partial to bacon rind.

So, a few moments later Maurice popped into the kitchen to see what was happening. I put the browned, gristly piece of venison in his dish. He looked. He sniffed. He licked. Then, crouching low to the ground, he grabbed it and shot off to his lair, (well, under the hall table to be strictly accurate, but you know what I mean) where he proceeded to tuck in with gusto.

I was a tad surprised as he has always just eaten from his bowl, so I found another bit and again put it in his bowl. His reaction was just the same. I have given him the odd bit of various cooked meat before, and he has just eaten it without this sort of behaviour.

Now I know that venison is classed as game, and Maurice is a very bright chap, but I am at a complete loss as to why this particular meat should be treated so differently by him.

He sometimes leaves part of his "kill" on the doorstep for us, the odd vole, a disembowelled rat or a mouse's head.

We do occasionally get deer in the garden, do you think I should make some space in the freezer??

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Mar-13 20:40:40

Anno grin I really shouldn't laugh at poor Clive's misfortunes. I have already offended Digby.

Galen Thu 28-Mar-13 20:55:59

It's obvious:- we need a trained animal councillor on GN!
In view of Soop's success with Rhodri I propose we contribute to send her on an animal counciling course!

MiceElf Thu 28-Mar-13 21:11:23

Just give them all an extra special tickle behind the ears from me. And lots of strokes across cyberspace.

Deedaa Thu 28-Mar-13 22:41:12

I have just found a very muddy catnip mouse in the garden. It's not one that I have bought so heaven knows which of our great hunters dragged it home or who they stole it from grin

Anne58 Fri 29-Mar-13 10:46:34

Little tinkers Deedaa !

Galen good idea to have Soop as animal councillor, she could start gently with an Agony Aunt column, then work up to consultations.

Dear Soop,

I have to share toilet facilities with Digby, and I am horrified by the state he leaves the litter tray in, shredded newspaper, litter pellets scattered about, a disgraceful mess.

We have 2 litter trays (or potties, as our people call them confused )and I had hoped that he would use just one and leave the other one for me, but he doesn't. I don't know why he uses them at all, as he does go outside to play, whereas I am too delicate and need to stay in doors so my whiskers don't go frizzy.

I have asked Maurice to have a word with him, but to no avail.

What else can I do to avoid this happening?

Yours,

Distressed of Devon

Anne58 Fri 29-Mar-13 19:55:54

PS Perhaps I should explain that Digby is my adopted younger brother, I think he came from a much lower class background than I did. I have tried to make allowances, but one has standards.

Thank you.

Nelliemoser Fri 29-Mar-13 20:17:42

phoenix grin