Gransnet forums

Pets

I don't want to do it but...

(63 Posts)
hildajenniJ Thu 20-Jul-17 21:54:43

I think the time has come.
My lovely little Parson Russell terrier needs to see the vet. She has been bleeding from the mouth, but I cannot see where. Tonight there are clots on the sofa throws. I know what the vet will say, as she is too old to withstand an anaesthetic or other exploratory treatment. I can't let this go on though, so I'm sitting here writing, with tears in my eyes. I've had this precious little girl for seventeen years, and don't want to say goodbye. She has been such a good dog. Making the decision is so hard, but I must, for her same as I don't want her to suffer.
The thing is, she is still eating and drinking and growling at the postman. I an torn.
Help!

aggie Thu 20-Jul-17 21:58:52

Oh Dear poor you , poor wee dog , maybe the vet can see something not as bad as you think xxxxxxx

phoenix Thu 20-Jul-17 22:07:01

Oh Hilda, it is so damn hard.

We want to do the decent thing for them, we owe it to them.

You say she is eating, drinking and " reacting " (bless her!) to the postman.

Apart from the bleeding and clots, does she seem in any pain or distress?

If not, then I would be inclined to just carry on taking each day as it comes.

One of my cats was very elderly, got a bit frail, but was eating, going out etc, then just quietly died. Another one was much younger, but having distressing fits, so we had to have her put to sleep.

Of course only you can gauge how you think she is feeling, but sending much love to you all. X

nanaK54 Thu 20-Jul-17 22:07:41

Oh it is so hard, but as aggie suggests go along to the vet in the hope that it may not be something terrible.
Sending you hugs, flowers and sunshine

MawBroon Thu 20-Jul-17 22:15:23

I too might be tempted to take one day at a time. I have a theory that a dog will tell you when (s) he has had enough and the morning we said Goodbye to Gracie she had just been lying on her bed, following me with her eyes.
It cost more (I think £80 extra or so) to have the vet come out but it was worth it as that one way trip is so awful. As it was she knew nothing about why the "nice ladies" (vet and nurse) were there. It could nor have been handled more sensitively or lovingly (to me too!) and there is possibly always the option that the vet will find another underlying reason without invasive tests.
The waiting was worse than the deed. Of course I wept as I stroked her head and whispered to her but she would have known nothing except that she was in the arms of the one who loved her best.
Wishing you courage ??

phoenix Thu 20-Jul-17 22:18:06

I agree with everything that MawBroon says.

rosesarered Thu 20-Jul-17 22:26:41

Me too!
Your lovely little dog has had a good life Hilda and a long one, in the end only you can decide what is best for her.?

Iam64 Thu 20-Jul-17 23:02:31

I'm another in agreement wit MawBroon.
What a lovely dog hilda, there is nothing like the love we give our dogs or the love they give to us.
Sending love to both of you x

hildajenniJ Thu 20-Jul-17 23:13:06

Thank you everyone. Poor girl has had several grand mall type seizures too. Very distressing for her. Last time I was with her at the vet a suspected brain tumour was diagnosed. The vet said then that she maybe had another month, that was in March! If we manage to make it to next Tuesday, it will be her eighteenth birthday.

cornergran Thu 20-Jul-17 23:28:26

maw has said it all I think. We've taken that decision with two dogs, so hard but so necessary. Thinking of you hilda and also of your lovely companion. Love to you both.

Christinefrance Fri 21-Jul-17 07:05:04

Your beautiful little girl has done so well hilda now is the time to take advice from the vet and from your little girl. MawBroon is right she will let you know when she has had enough. Love to both of you, you will find the strength to do the right thing when its time.

Anya Fri 21-Jul-17 07:24:53

Hilda as her 'mummy' you will know when the time is right to let her go. It won't make it any easier but you can't let her suffer when you feel that time has come.

I'm getting to that stage with my old dog. I noticed he was having difficulty balancing on three legs to cock the other last night. I'm only telling you that so you will know I understand completely how you feel

(((hugs)))

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jul-17 07:34:05

(((Hugs))) Just come on to offer sympathy and vibes of courage if the deed has to be done and agree with MawBroon that it's worth having the vet come to your house if you can afford it.

Alima Fri 21-Jul-17 07:39:16

So sorry Hilda, this is the really hard part of having our canine friends.

Gagagran Fri 21-Jul-17 07:40:05

What a lovely post Maw - Grace was a lucky girl indeed to be yours.

Hope there is a bit more time for you Hilda with your girl - could it be a tooth problem? Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone else still "see" from the corner of the eye a flashing sight of a pet who is no longer with you? I had my Clio cat for 20 years - a sleek black beauty who was rescued from a feral colony as a kitten. Whenever I opened a tin of tuna she would appear as if by magic from wherever she had been dozing and sit and miaou piteously at my feet. I still see her very briefly coming into the kitchen to do that! I don't believe they do leave you so long as your memory is functioning.

Baggs Fri 21-Jul-17 07:44:04

flowers, hilda.

whitewave Fri 21-Jul-17 07:46:53

hilda and dear companion flowers

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 08:07:33

Nothing more to say Hilda, so sending a (((hug))) flowers

Auntieflo Fri 21-Jul-17 08:28:47

Hilda, love and hugs to you at this sad time

merlotgran Fri 21-Jul-17 08:31:44

Sending you my best wishes, hilda. It's a sad time when you have to say goodbye to a much loved pet.

NanaandGrampy Fri 21-Jul-17 08:45:57

Totally understanding how you're feeling Hilda . I think you know when the time is right , its the biggest responsibility of a pet owner.

Sending you a big hug xx

Sparklefizz Fri 21-Jul-17 09:00:45

hilda flowers Just come on to offer sympathy. Could it be a dental problem? Sending you a big hug, and hoping that the vet will find that it is less serious than you fear. The fact that she is still eating is very positive. Love and hugs to you. xx

Sparklefizz Fri 21-Jul-17 09:03:26

gagagran - yes, I still "see" my previous cats who are still much-loved. One or other of them will often come and visit me. It's very comforting. A medium told me she could see me surrounded by cats (I have had them all my life.) It seems they are waiting for me ......

Greyduster Fri 21-Jul-17 09:08:59

Such a sad dilemma for you Hilda and what a lovely dog. I hope things are not as bad as they seem. {{hugs}} for you both.

shysal Fri 21-Jul-17 09:44:12

You will know when the time is right, for her if not for you sad. flowers