Gransnet forums

Pets

Kind thoughts please

(62 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 16:23:48

I have wrestling for over a month with the right decision for my darling .Phoebe , my puppy. When I decided last December to have her I didn't have a crystal ball. Didn't know Lottie would be diagnosed with cancer a week later - she is doing well - didn't know I would be struck with agoraphobia. Didn't know my elder granddaughter would decide to more to the West Country so couldn't do the walking until I got myself together . Didn't know I would have to find £77 a week for a dog walker because I never thought I would need one.

Next Wednesday my darling Phoebe is moving to live with my younger daughter who is longing to have her. An almost two acre garden, a hours walk on the fens every day and the same love as I have for her.

Dreading seeing her trot down the path with daughter next Wednesday but it's right for Phoebe and this is what is important .

lemongrove Wed 11-Apr-18 16:27:48

A hard decision but the right one Annie and think how happy the pup will be, and your DD as well.?
Glad to hear that Lottie is doing well.

seacliff Wed 11-Apr-18 16:40:23

When I saw the title of this thread I thought the worst. So although it will be sad for you to say goodbye to Phoebe, she will be very happy in her future life, which will be a comfort to you I'm sure.

At least you will get reports back, and maybe can see her again sometime. You can spend lots of quality time with Lottie now without feeling guilty.

ninathenana Wed 11-Apr-18 16:45:49

Oh Annie I feel for you.
At least you know she will be loved and cared for flowers

farview Wed 11-Apr-18 16:45:54

Oh Annie it's a hard decision but you've made the right one,Pheobe will have a wonderful life and all the exercise she needs,you will get photos and news of her and hopefully see her when they visit! flowers

kittylester Wed 11-Apr-18 16:46:11

Hugs, Annie but a brave decision. Hope they send loads of photos!

Mary59nana Wed 11-Apr-18 16:53:07

Annie you are doing the right thing Puppies need so much attention /walking / not the mention cleaning up after little accidents.
I’m sure she will be very happy and you can start to feel well again.
Maybe think about a older dog who needs rehoming and just want/needs your love for feeding and cuddles and a warm place to lay it head.
Plenty looking for that kind of home

phoenix Wed 11-Apr-18 16:54:49

Thinking of you, Annie and sending every good wish. A hard decision to make but exactly what a good dog owner would do.

At least she is staying within the family, and not going to strangers. flowers

Squiffy Wed 11-Apr-18 17:04:24

Oh Annie, what a hard decision to make, but at least you know that she's gone to a lovely, caring home and you will have updates and photos to look forward to, which may take the sting out a little for you.

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 18:04:13

Thank you all, the lead training and house training were no problem, it was the recent problem of not being able to walk her and she needs this . She is going not because she is hard work or difficult and she is so loved , she must be walked and this now isn't possible, I cannot afford a dog walker until I can leave the house , I don't know when this will be . I am devestated but what matters is my decision is right for Phoebe

MissAdventure Wed 11-Apr-18 18:09:06

Its absolutely the right thing you're doing, Annie.
She'll have a lovely time, frolicking around in the garden and going for regular walls. smile

NfkDumpling Wed 11-Apr-18 18:09:14

Oh, Annie (((hugs))). Big squidgy ones from a fat lady. I assume you have no Cinnamon Trust helpers near you?

Very relieved to hear Phoebe is doing well and will be there to help with cuddles.

jusnoneed Wed 11-Apr-18 18:46:05

Sad for you but lovely that she will be staying part of your family and you will know where she is and that she is well looked after.

starbird Wed 11-Apr-18 19:00:47

What a happy outcome for the puppy. How heartwarming to think of your unselfish decision. I hope you still have Lottie? I have not been following gn closely recently so sorry if I’ve missed something.

I hope that when we get some warmth and sunshine you will find the courage to take a few steps outside.

shysal Wed 11-Apr-18 19:06:14

Congratulations on putting the dog first, sad as you will be. At least you will sometimes see her and hear how she is doing.

grannyqueenie Wed 11-Apr-18 19:32:16

That must have been such a hard decision to make Annie, you’re very brave to put Phoebe’s needs before own. I’m so glad you can be confident that she’ll be loved and you’ll hear how she gets on. x

SueDonim Wed 11-Apr-18 23:21:19

Ouch, Annie sad That was some decision to make but you've put your little pup first and you're doing the right thing by her.

Are you getting any help with the agoraphobia? Has it been diagnosed by your GP and has he/she offered any help? There are also self-help tips online and CBT is available on the phone. I know you're not asking about this problem but I hate to think of you suffering when you could be helped. flowers

Bathsheba Wed 11-Apr-18 23:41:48

Heavens Annie that must have been a tough decision, but it was also a very brave one. You love your dogs so you know you have to do what’s right for them. And this is the right thing for Phoebe. Yes, it’s going to be so hard watching her go with your daughter, but she’s still in the family - you will see her again. For now just focus on Lottie and give her all the love and fuss she needs to fight her illness. flowers

NfkDumpling Thu 12-Apr-18 06:09:09

OOOP’s - I got the dogs names the wrong way around - sorry! It was in my haste to post as the door bell rang!

I think you’ve made a very courageous decision. Is this a permanent arrangement or a dog share? I assume you’ll still have her as holiday cover, etc? A sort of lop sided dog share? It may help you in a few weeks when the agoraphobia lessens. And being a person of such determination as you, I know you will overcome it. Small steps though Annie. It’s early days and you still have a lot of healing to do.

Anniebach Thu 12-Apr-18 09:13:25

It was very difficult , such mixed feelings, the usual 'if only' niggled , if only I still had my savings I could have paid a dog walker, things happened last year which took those, if only I hadn't moved this end of town the phobia would be easier to overcome, if only i had shut up about the family chat room I wouldn't be cut out of the family, but 'if only' is useless. It will be permanent, my daughter loves Phoebe already.

I can see Phoebe when I want on face time. My daughter has a lovely couple who stays in her house with her pets when she has holidays or comes here for a few days, they even have their own bedroom in daughters house .

I know I have made the right decision for Phoebe, I admit now her leaving is getting closer I am thinking - if the cancer comes back with Lottie and ends her life I will not have a dog in my life, having had dogs since a child I find this thought distressing, have always had two or three dogs.
But this is putting self first, not fair on Phoebe. She knows my daughters voice because we face time. It will be fine. Thanks for letting me talk about it x

NonnaW Thu 12-Apr-18 09:36:11

So hard for you x

Panache Thu 12-Apr-18 09:50:34

Anniebach when I too first saw the title I really thought the worst,however believe me as a real dog lover myself, my heart goes out to you knowing that you are still having to part from your Phoebe ........all be it not for all time.
I admire your selflessness and putting thoughts of Phoebe and her long term welfare before your own heartache, and for what its worth, I think you are doing exactly the right thing.
Having lost our dogs .....which were more like our children...........I know only too well the searing pain of losing them.
My dearest wish for you right now is inner strength to carry out what is right for Phoebe, and of course being within the family, you will still have much contact,even if not quite the same as nose to nose contact!!!
Also of course, you need that strength to continue to love and care for Lottie,whilst hopefully your agorophbia is not going to hold you back.
Once the parting is over with, I hope you find that all important new spring to your step and can really enjoy Lottie to the full.
With all heartfelt best wishes (flowers)

Panache Fri 13-Apr-18 09:22:57

Thinking of you still Anniebach ............if that helps at all.

Anniebach Fri 13-Apr-18 10:18:50

It does help very much Panache , just before reading your post I was doubting my decision. I realy am dreading seeing her trot down the path to the car next Wednesday and the fear of not having dogs is so strong, feel stupid saying this but even have anxiety now.

seacliff Fri 13-Apr-18 10:34:37

I am a cat person, but I can imagine how you feel about your Phoebe, as my cats are my family, and if I lose one, it's devastating. You know in your heart that you are doing the best for her, for the time being anyway.

Annie, I hope you can get outside a bit as the weather hopefully improves soon. Just in the garden at first with Lottie, to feel the sun on your face and hear the birds singing, and have a little peace and happiness.