Gransnet forums

Pets

URGENT Advice please

(288 Posts)
Squiffy Thu 02-Aug-18 09:29:34

Morning all.

Clutching at straws here, but I have a very poorly cat and wondered if any of you have dealt with the same issue.

She has been retching/gagging since Sunday evening and until yesterday was also flicking her tongue in and out.

Monday we went to the vet and she had exploratories done.

Her gut was inflamed so they operated on her abdomen, but found nothing.

She came home last night and drank some water, but not eaten.

She's on two meds - one anti-inflammatory and Ranittidene (sp?) as she is full of wind.

She spends her time hiding quietly in a corner and wants to be on her own (very out of character, but understandable at the moment).

She is still doing mini-retches, almost like an unproductive burp.

I slept downstairs with her last night and she had a few little wanders around and then settled down again.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this or what else to do? The vet's on standby to readmit her, but he doesn't have a clue as to the cause.

Help please!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Aug-18 11:29:23

Could she have a fish-bone or sewing needle lodged in the roof of her mouth or in a gum? This would explain the retching and gagging, but admittedly not the inflammation.

I found the fish-bone by running my finger over the roof of the cat's mouth, when we had this trouble and the vet removed the bone using tweezers.

I do hope the cat gets well again soon.

Squiffy Sun 05-Aug-18 11:50:06

Today’s update!

Still not eating, but very alert. Still being given fluids.

Has settled well in her temporary ‘home’.

Purrs like mad when anyone strokes her!

Vet phoning after 6.00pm with update re: Plan (endoscopy/referral)

Grandtante Thank you. They’ve checked all that, but I’m still inclined to think that something has got stuck somewhere. Hopefully, endo will pick it up.

Thank you all for keeping our spirits up, it’s really
appreciated.

Willow10 Sun 05-Aug-18 12:01:13

Poor little pusscat, don't they just break your heart. Sending kind thoughts and very best wishes to you both.

Waterloosunset Sun 05-Aug-18 19:12:20

Hi Squiffy - been thinking of you and little pussycat. You said the vet would call you this evening. Any further news? It’s to hear she is alert and purring! All good signs. Sending all good vibes x

Jane10 Sun 05-Aug-18 19:35:21

Not meaning to put a damper on things but purring at the vet's is a sign of stress. Fair enough. Poor puss is bound to be stressed under the circumstances. I hope they can get to the bottom of the problem. When that happened to our boy he just recovered as soon as he got home. We never found out what was wrong!

Squiffy Sun 05-Aug-18 20:49:10

Thank you Willow and Waterloo Update below!

Jane I wondered about that, too (the purring), but it sounds as though it was proper purring and she enjoyed the attention the Vet Nurse was giving her and was responding to it. Perhaps I'm being optimistic!

Today's Vet told me that a tube had been passed down her throat to check it when she was admitted before (last week) and her mouth checked, Tomorrow's endoscopy will check again and also her stomach.

She's salivating a lot, which could be stress or because she's trying to avoid swallowing. I remember when I had to be 'put out' to have all four of my wisdom teeth out and my throat was so sore afterwards that, rather than try to swallow, I put a huge wad of tissues on my pillow and dribbled all night shock grin

She's still very alert and being given fluids and meds intravenously. No food, so I can't imagine how little she weighs now! She was only 2.8 kg when she was admitted.

Fingers crossed for our little fluffkin tomorrow evening when they'll do the endo!

phoenix Sun 05-Aug-18 20:52:07

Sending every good wish, flowers

Squiffy Sun 05-Aug-18 21:10:17

Thank you phoenix. Hope you had a brilliant birthday! I pm'd you y'day or the day before (can't remember which, it's all a bit of a blur at the moment!)

phoenix Sun 05-Aug-18 22:09:18

No worries, just concentrate on your darling girl.

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 10:27:36

At least someone laughs at my jokes!

Waterloosunset Mon 06-Aug-18 10:51:07

Oh what an absolute darling - just adorable! Fingers and everything crossed - get well soon little pussycat xxx

Jane10 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:52:34

Lovely pussy!

HildaW Mon 06-Aug-18 14:01:06

Aww Sqiffy she looked very like the cat I spoke about all those years ago....a very naughty little tabby. She had not really had the best start in life and could be a little aloof - but still very sweet. Fingers crossed you get some answers soon.

mimiro Mon 06-Aug-18 14:38:26

hi squiffy so sorry your girl is ill.sometimes vets just like doctors can be wrong or have tunnel vision.here is an article.your cat sounds like she has been poisoned.many things are toxic to cats.one of mine ate a lizard and another a toad we went thru a bad time.they are fine now.and just point out the amphibious offenders now.had a huge frog in the house last year they just watched it til i put it out.
living in different places over the years i have a list of things to watch for now.
this website has a pretty comprehensive list.

www.vets-now.com/2017/03/beware-common-seasonal-poisons-cats-kittens

trisher Mon 06-Aug-18 14:53:46

I started reading this post and then couldn't stop. It's like a mystery novel, full of twists and turns. Squiffy I hope she recovers and is soon home where she belongs, happy and healthy again.

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 16:07:45

Thanks Hilda, mimiro and trisher

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 16:13:20

It's not looking good. She is now critical sad

She stopped breathing during procedure and had to be resuscitated.

The back of her throat, which was clear on admission, is very inflamed and she is full of 'gunk'.

The Vet thinks that she has eaten something poisonous.

So . . . . . she is now on a breathing tube, having iv fluids and will have a feeding tube inserted in her neck.

The next few hours will be very telling.

I'm in bits. She really doesn't deserve this, she's the sweetest natured cat I've ever come across. Why can't Life be fair?!

Waterloosunset Mon 06-Aug-18 16:20:50

Oh my love I am in tears with you. I hope and pray for her. Love and hugs xxx

kathsue Mon 06-Aug-18 16:35:41

I've been reading this thread with my fingers crossed. My thoughts are with you. x

Jane10 Mon 06-Aug-18 16:54:11

Oh no Squiffy. Just what we don't want. Poor wee thing. Still hoping though. brew

AnnS1 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:11:49

Hope your next update is positive news. Poor wee cat. Hopefully now they have worked out what the cause is they can help.

Willow500 Mon 06-Aug-18 17:16:02

Oh Squiffy I've just caught up with this - I'm so sorry to read what's been happening to her. Don't give up hope - my son's dog was poisoned a couple of years ago and they nearly lost her - it was touch and go for a couple of days but she eventually made a full recovery. They had no idea what she'd eaten and it did take a while before it took effect. Fingers crossed for your little girl.

1974cookie Mon 06-Aug-18 17:19:30

Dear Squiffy. My thoughts are with you and your darling Pusscat. I hope with all of my heart that she recovers soon.
xxx

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 17:54:30

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

No idea what she may have eaten, but the Vet thought it might have been a toad - or part of. I don't know where there is a nearby pond, but it's always a possibility.

Fingers still crossed . . .

HildaW Mon 06-Aug-18 17:55:23

So sorry Squiffy, all the very best for all to be well. X