Gransnet forums

Pets

URGENT Advice please

(288 Posts)
Squiffy Thu 02-Aug-18 09:29:34

Morning all.

Clutching at straws here, but I have a very poorly cat and wondered if any of you have dealt with the same issue.

She has been retching/gagging since Sunday evening and until yesterday was also flicking her tongue in and out.

Monday we went to the vet and she had exploratories done.

Her gut was inflamed so they operated on her abdomen, but found nothing.

She came home last night and drank some water, but not eaten.

She's on two meds - one anti-inflammatory and Ranittidene (sp?) as she is full of wind.

She spends her time hiding quietly in a corner and wants to be on her own (very out of character, but understandable at the moment).

She is still doing mini-retches, almost like an unproductive burp.

I slept downstairs with her last night and she had a few little wanders around and then settled down again.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this or what else to do? The vet's on standby to readmit her, but he doesn't have a clue as to the cause.

Help please!

Squiffy Fri 05-Oct-18 20:02:59

Thank you all and especially you, grandt, as I know you recently lost your furry friend, too.

Tonight I heard a little noise and looked round thinking it was Fluff and then realised that it was one of the little girls next door squeaking in the garden. It really shook me for a minute - and then, of course, I welled up . . . I really need to get a grip!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 04-Oct-18 14:44:35

So sorry, Squiffy, but you did the right thing, not that that helps right now, though.

Scribbles Wed 26-Sep-18 17:21:58

That's superb! How clever Soop is and what a lovely picture of Fluff.

Willow500 Wed 26-Sep-18 13:04:27

What a wonderful picture - Soop what an amazing talent! Fluff looks so like my darling boy who I lost 7 years ago sad

aggie Wed 26-Sep-18 12:43:58

Such a beautiful memento xxx

Jane10 Wed 26-Sep-18 12:41:44

What a lovely picture to remember your precious puss by! sunshine

Squiffy Wed 26-Sep-18 11:57:09

The lovely Soop has painted this wonderful portrait of Fluff. What a talented lady!

1974cookie Thu 20-Sep-18 17:59:11

Dear Squiffy, you did everything that you could do for your beloved Fluff. She fought so hard to stay with you, and you fought along side the dear little soul.
RIP Dearest Fluffy flowers, and lots of hugs to you too Squiffy at this very difficult time.

Chewbacca Fri 14-Sep-18 22:32:06

Very sorry indeed to hear this news squiffy, it's a wretched thing to have to do for a much loved friend but your vet has done everything possible for Fluff. She was much loved.

phoenix Fri 14-Sep-18 22:25:08

Squiffy no words, just love and understanding.

Bathsheba Fri 14-Sep-18 22:05:23

Oh Squiffy I am so sorry to read this. I haven't posted to this thread before, but I have been following it, all dear Fluff's ups and downs, all your hopes for her.
You all tried so hard, and you all gave her so much love at the end of her life. Sending love and hugs for you and for everyone who cared for her in her last days flowers

sodapop Fri 14-Sep-18 21:36:39

So sorry Squiffy you did very best you could for Fluff God Bless flowers

Squiffy Fri 14-Sep-18 17:44:43

Thank you all smile

Waterloosunset Fri 14-Sep-18 16:13:29

Oh dearest, dearest Fluff - if love alone could have kept you here, you would have lived forever. I am so very sorry Squiffy - time to look after yourself. You have been truly amazing ?

MissAdventure Fri 14-Sep-18 15:42:04

Oh, how sad, squiffy.
Poor little soul..
Sorry things went this way, but at least you know she was given every chance. X

Willow500 Fri 14-Sep-18 14:36:01

I'm devastated for you - its so very sad after you have come so far but in the end you had done all you could for her and have made the best decision in her own interests flowers

seacliff Fri 14-Sep-18 14:20:04

Poor Fluff, and poor you. You did the right thing for her, I know how hard it is.xx

annodomini Fri 14-Sep-18 14:05:49

So sad for you, Squiffy. You have gone the extra mile - and then some - for poor wee Fluff. She had a good life. (((hugs)))

shysal Fri 14-Sep-18 13:33:23

I have been watching this thread for news and am so sorry to hear that you had to do the kind thing for her. flowers

kathsue Fri 14-Sep-18 12:37:24

So sorry, Squiffy. flowers flowers

Jane10 Fri 14-Sep-18 12:21:39

Oh Squiffy. Sorry to hear this. I'd been steeling myself for this sad news for a wee while. The poor little cat was just overwhelmed by this illness/infection. You couldn't have tried harder. You'll need some time to recover from the stress and lack of sleep. Best wishes. flowers

Scribbles Fri 14-Sep-18 11:24:15

There's not a lot to be said except to offer deepest sympathy and love. Dear little Fluff: never can a cat have had better support from vets, nurses and family. You'll always remember her with love and maybe, one day, another puss will fill the crack in your heart.?

Squiffy Fri 14-Sep-18 11:01:00

sad sad sad

Just a brief, sad update.

We had to say goodbye to Fluff yesterday. Despite many improvements, there was just too much neurological damage that she couldn't overcome.

We had always said that, as soon as we knew that she was in distress, then we would have to let her go. Ironically, it was because she had been improving and was regaining strength and some function, that it was causing her distress through sheer frustration. She had reached a point where further improvements (walking, feeding unaided etc) just weren't going to happen.

The Vet was absolutely wonderful throughout her care and so were the Nurses, who had become very attached to her. We've been so lucky in that respect, it made such a difference knowing that, when she went in for respite, she would be getting the best care possible.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know and to thank you all for your kind words and support, it's meant so much and been a comfort.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 13:30:24

Glad things are going slowly in the right direction, squiffy.
smile

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Sep-18 12:54:55

So pleased to read this. I'd been hoping no news was good news. Well done, Fluff on starting to feed yourself once more. And well done, Squiffy for your love and perseverance. ?

Ditto what Scribbles says above, and good news on the poo front grin xx