Gransnet forums

Pets

What shall we call our new kitten?

(186 Posts)
kittylester Fri 03-Aug-18 12:51:31

I know we helped nina (or not!) so I am hoping you can help us as we are stuck for a name for the kitten we are keeping. She was born in June

I will continue to try taking a photo of her but she is a short haired, dark tabby with white bib and wellies.

We have two other cats - an all black male born during the Rugby World Cup - his name is Kiwi.

The kitten's Mum was born in May and is, therefore, called Maisie.

Please help - inspiration has dried up in the Lester household.

lemongrove Fri 03-Aug-18 14:07:33

Pippin, ( Hobbit name from LOTR)

nanaK54 Fri 03-Aug-18 14:09:06

Is she forever under your feet?
If so may I suggest carpet or lino? grin

paddyann Fri 03-Aug-18 14:16:07

my daughters cats are called after cars ,the new kitten is Mini ,she went through a booze phase too,with Bailey and Brandy and Murphy (stout) we had a guinness and a Shlitz on the same theme ...but they were dogs.Molly and Emma are my neighbours cats and my GD has 3 Nico,Rueben and Theodore ..so really anything works.

Kittye Fri 03-Aug-18 14:21:42

I'd go with phoenix and choose Juno!

MiniMoon Fri 03-Aug-18 14:31:40

I knew a girl who had a cat called Mrs Thompson. Too long a story to go into now. We had a tomcat called Tinker, and my cousin had a female called Fluffy just because she was!
What about a June flower name;
Poppy, peony, sweet pea, lily etc.

Chewbacca Fri 03-Aug-18 14:37:38

Over the years my fats have beencalled:
Females: Violet (she was very shy, ie Shrinking Violet), Ursula, Poppy, Florence, Petunia, Hermione, Prue & Virginia (Ginny).
Males: Dylan, Hector, Leicester, Stanley, Jaffa, Malcolm, Arthur, Arnoldo & Phillipo

All cats deserve a noble name! ?

Chewbacca Fri 03-Aug-18 14:38:15

My fats have been called many things but none of the above! CATS!

kittylester Fri 03-Aug-18 14:42:49

chewie grin

Doodle Fri 03-Aug-18 14:58:57

phoenix not Dido...someone will slip up and call her Dildo shock

I think Juno is a good choice too.

Marmight Fri 03-Aug-18 15:16:58

Juniper

merlotgran Fri 03-Aug-18 15:17:03

Jilly Cooper said that all new kittens should be called 'Ceremony.' That way when friends come round for dinner you can say, 'Oh do come in and don't stand on Ceremony!'

joannapiano Fri 03-Aug-18 15:22:40

Mitten the Kitten perhaps ?

Squiffy Fri 03-Aug-18 15:23:48

June - flower theme - Flora?

PECS Fri 03-Aug-18 15:41:10

Juniper is nice! Nipper for short grin

Grandma70s Fri 03-Aug-18 15:48:37

The nice thing about naming cats is that you can be as eccentric as you like and they don’t mind.

I love that TS Eliot poem, phoenix. I’ve known it since I was a young child. Of course, Andrew Lloyd Webber came along and (to my mind) spoilt Eliot’s Practical Cats.

My cats were usually called after characters in books. Orlando was Orlando the Marmalade Cat. Clover was named after the sweet-natured Clover in What Katy Did.

kittylester Fri 03-Aug-18 15:52:16

We've had previous cats called Sesame and Pepper so I like Juniper. Dh pulled a face!

Anyway, here she is with her Mum, Maisie!

Panache Fri 03-Aug-18 15:59:27

There is only one suitable name Kitty..........it has to be Sweetie as in sweetie pie........she is every inch a sweetie!!!

shysal Fri 03-Aug-18 16:17:16

How cute is she?
In the Maisy Mouse stories she has a companion called Tallulah (could be Lulu for short?) I had a cat of that name, rescued along with her brother whom we called Bugsie. From the musical Bugsy Malone but I spelled it wrong! GN helped me with that pair of names.
Or if you are doing seasonings how about Saffron, Coriander, Cumin or Nutmeg?

Squiffy Fri 03-Aug-18 16:26:12

Oh Kitty She’s beyond gorgeous!

shysal Fri 03-Aug-18 16:30:47

There is a GN member , could be absent or I may be wrong, who named her pets from type fonts. I only remember her Helvetica but there are some suitable others like Kristen, Arial, Aurora and Georgia.

annodomini Fri 03-Aug-18 16:36:41

I looked at the photo and thought 'Pixie'!

sodapop Fri 03-Aug-18 17:12:21

I like Tallulah shysal and the short version Lulu
She is such a little cutie Kitty

crystaltipps Fri 03-Aug-18 17:52:30

Pickle

tiredoldwoman Fri 03-Aug-18 18:00:17

My daughter got a new puppy today , they've named her Lola. I used to sing the Kinks song to my daughter as it rhymed with her name and she loved it !
Your kitten is so pretty !

ginny Fri 03-Aug-18 18:08:14

A friend of mine had a cat called Then. As a kitten, when they said ‘come here’ she would ignore them but if they said’ come here then’ she would respond immediately . A little later they had another cat called Now.