Gransnet forums

Pets

I feel so sorry for my dog..

(28 Posts)
Scentia Mon 01-Jul-19 14:03:51

I have always given my dog treats and tuna or something equally gorgeous (for her) on top of her dry food.

I have now found out she has problems and needs to have a very limited healthy diet (she has never been overweight)
This is the hard part, I have to put her food out and if she doesn’t eat it in an hour I have to pick it up until her next mealtime, then it goes down again. I have been doing this for nearly 36 hours now and she very reluctantly ate some last night, but she is standing strong!
She is looking at me like I am the most horrible person in the world, it makes me want to cry ? I know it is for her own good, but how long will this last, has anyone had to do this before, will she eventually eat the (very expensive) food I give her?
The vet said to do this for up to three days, that will break my heart I think!

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jul-19 21:04:57

Perhaps you have been giving her too rich a diet if she’s been on salmon tuna and sausages etc
I m sure she will eat the ‘cardboard’ food when she’s really hungry and realises nothing else is on offer
Good luck with this one
My dog had an allergy to cat fleas and would scratch herself bald in places

seacliff Mon 01-Jul-19 21:11:00

I sympathise. You are being cruel to be kind, but of course he won't understand that. If the itchiness subsides, your dog will then feel so much better, it will be worth all the hassle. Try and make it up by giving extra games etc. Good luck.