Gransnet forums

Pets

dog poop

(45 Posts)
Lessismore Sat 27-Jul-19 21:12:51

If you have a dog, does poop come into your house?

NanaandGrampy Sat 27-Jul-19 22:07:47

Unless it parks its bowel outside then I think I can safely say poo comes in ??

Hetty58 Sat 27-Jul-19 22:12:46

If you don't leave your shoes at the door, poop will be brought in anyway!

MawBroonsback Sat 27-Jul-19 22:42:56

What on earth are you talking about?
Why should there be any on my shoes?
Why should there be any in the house unless the dog is ill/very old and has an accident?

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-19 22:49:18

What a weird thread. hmm

Bathsheba Sat 27-Jul-19 22:54:47

What a weird thread

Yep. Totally barking hmm

Hetty58 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:02:45

MawBroonsback, If you never set foot outside in those shoes they'll be fine. The pavement outside, your drive and doorstep are likely to be contaminated by particles of dog, cat, fox and bird poo, spread everywhere by shoes, cars, animal feet, rain and wind.

Luckily, much of it is harmless and sunlight helps to sterilise it. Nevertheless, many people wear shoes indoors (they may be very careful to clean and sterilise the crawling baby's things, too) and our immune systems are wonderful.

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:05:07

I thought the thread was about having a dog and poop coming in - my grand dog does not even poop in our garden but waits until he is in the fields where he goes in the hedgerow and I always pick it up. There is no way it would come into the house.

A very odd thread.

Lessismore Sun 28-Jul-19 11:15:22

it is odd, I am odd.

I was wondering about getting a little dog, I can see many advantages.
I'm not sure about the cleaning up bit though ( on walkies) and the doggy bringing in dirt which is attached to its rear end.

glammanana Sun 28-Jul-19 11:16:25

What a strange question,what kind of people would allow such a thing to happen ?
Only chance of a mess if you have a poorly dog which would be cleaned up immediatly wouldn't it.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 11:26:32

MawBroonsback ,
If you never set foot outside in those shoes they'll be fine. The pavement outside, your drive and doorstep are likely to be contaminated by particles of dog, cat, fox and bird poo, spread everywhere by shoes, cars, animal feet, rain and wind

What are you on about?
But Lessismore, what does owning a dog have to do with it?
Hetty58 who are you to say what I may or may not be in contact with locally from walking (surprise, surprise) on pavements, footpaths or grass?
Never heard of welly boots for muddy fields or long walks?
Added to which there may be foxes who pass through my garden, along with the hedgehogs, cats and squirrels which enliven Hattie’s day.
In addition to which I like most people, do change my shoes when I come in, it’s more or less a given in the country.
But I am mystified by your chain of reasoning, if there is one.

elizasnan Sun 28-Jul-19 11:27:58

It it is picking up the poo that is worrying you I am the same. I have looked after many puppies and my answer is a pooper scooper and bag. I have no stomach for picking up poo with a bag over my hand but not problem with a scooper.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 11:31:03

Lessismore
To put your mind at rest
Poo bags turned inside out over your hand to pick up after your dog then turned right way round and tied, means you never get anything on your hands
Unless a dog is poorly, there is hardly ever anything “attached “ to their rear ends. I have always had short haired dogs, but even with long haired ones unless they are poorly their bums do not need wiping.
A dog brings many advantages, comfort, companionship, exercise, to name but a few.
Go for it! ?

Lessismore Sun 28-Jul-19 11:31:31

thanks eliza, it's that and the poorly dog scenario and the thought of worms and mess in the house.

Before anyone jumps on me, I would never , ever get a dog if I wasn't sure and committed.

Maybe I will investigate Borrow my Doggy and the Cinnamon Trust.

Lessismore Sun 28-Jul-19 11:32:15

Maw, your list of advantages in interesting.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Jul-19 11:39:12

Dogs don’t get worms if wormed regularly, Hattie regards these as “treats” likewise her Nexgard flea treatment “sweets”
The poorly dog scenario is always a possibility but don’t be too pessimistic- it may never happen smile

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:06:59

I’m not over keen on dog poo but dealt with it without a problem when we had one.

Isn’t the same as your child s poo? Your own is never as offensive as anyone else’s.?

elizasnan Sun 28-Jul-19 12:07:54

There are many advantages but don't forget the 24 hour commitment. It helps to have someone you can call on if there is an emergency and you need to leave your dog for more than a couple of hours. When they are very young you inevitably have accidents in the house.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jul-19 12:51:16

What goes in one end has to eventually come out of the other end--------where and how is down to the owner to train that process ?

Buffybee Sun 28-Jul-19 12:56:38

I have never been without one or two dogs and a cat all of my life, I literally couldn't live without them. They are part of the family and I love them. It has never entered my head about poo being brought into the house or worms or fleas, as part of the routine is to care for them by worming and fleaing them and brushing their fur.

My adult children both have dogs and we all swop them around when going on holiday or out for the day.
I feel that if you get a dog for any other reason than you love dogs, then, you will find it hard work and it probably won't work out.
Maybe look after one when someone goes away if you want to get an idea of how you'd go on but from your questions, I don't think it's for you.

kittylester Sun 28-Jul-19 13:01:11

Scientists now reckon that shoes should not be discarded at the door. We are all being too hygienic!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jul-19 14:24:11

If the OP didn't know that dogs pooped and couldn't wipe their own behinds then where has he/she been all these years ?

Lessismore Sun 28-Jul-19 15:50:36

Thank you for sharing EV.

Grannyknot Sun 28-Jul-19 16:07:39

Unfortunately, not everyone has the stomach for dog turd in any way, shape or form. I can't even see it without gagging, let alone pick it up. So Lessismore if you are unsure about the cleaning up bit, consider the fact that some things are beyond your control.

(I also gag when I see someone hawking phlegm. It is entirely involuntary).

sodapop Sun 28-Jul-19 16:25:45

I think you need to consider this carefully Lessismore . When your only question is about possible hygiene problems and not what you can offer a pet then I would think you are not ready.
With the best will in the world during the course of a dog's life there will be accidents and illness, this is part of being a pet owner.