Gransnet forums

Pets

Very upset as had to have cat put down this morning

(81 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:43:08

My ten year old cat started having breathing problems less than two days ago. Second vet visit today for X-ray and investigation and had call to say had to be put down. Was with her for injection. Feeling so sad as much loved family pet and as it's all happened so quickly , and been so awful, it's quite a lot to accept at the moment.

Anniebach Fri 30-Aug-19 21:23:09

I am so sorry, a shock for you but you were with her for the injection, she wasn’t alone x

seacliff Fri 30-Aug-19 21:35:38

Sorry Jacks Grandma and Crystaltips, such a sad time for you both flowers.

As it was so sudden you weren't at all prepared, and didn't have time to say goodbye properly. At least she hopefully didn't suffer long, and you were with her which would be a comfort. Eventually you will look back with some lovely memories.

Scribbles Fri 30-Aug-19 23:45:02

Sympathetic ((hugs)) for crystaltipps also.

sallyc06 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:33:58

So sorry hun, I lost my cat in November, he was 18 and I am still upset even though I now have a kitten. They become like our children and when we lose them, it hurts like hell. If you need to cry do so. Google the rainbow bridge, it is a poem and it really helped me.

polnan Sat 31-Aug-19 09:38:27

so sorry to hear this... Hugs..

dogs, cats, pets.. friends for ever, we never forget them,,, never.

Camelotclub Sat 31-Aug-19 09:51:26

In some ways it's better that this happened quickly. Nothing worse than watching an animal go downhill slowly and not being sure when you need to intervene. I know you won't feel like this at present! I kept my cat alive for about 3 months longer than I should have (cancer) and regret it to this day. You will feel better, gradually. And, dare I say it, another kitten or cat may help in due course.

My cat is buried in the garden with a small flat stone with his name and dates on, and our current cat sits on it sometimes!

Minniemoo Sat 31-Aug-19 09:53:30

So sad when we lose a much loved pet.

millymouge Sat 31-Aug-19 09:54:04

So very sorry Jacksgrandma123 all of us who have lost beloved pets will know how you are feeling. Lost one of our much loved greyhounds last November, and still miss her terribly although we have others. I think it is so important to be with them at the end. Try to take comfort from some happy memories. Sending hugs.

Truddles Sat 31-Aug-19 09:54:42

I am so sorry; my little fur baby had a stroke three years ago, and I had to have her put to sleep. She was thirteen. I loved her and cried for days. She was loved and had a good life. One day you’ll be able to smile when you think about your little pet.

RomyP Sat 31-Aug-19 09:56:57

Sorry for the anguish Jacksgrandma, it's a very sad though peaceful process to watch and then going home to put away all the pet's possessions is too painful for words. Hugs. X

grannylyn65 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:57:50

Had to have 17 years old cat pts recently. Was truly horrible ?

Diane227 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:09:05

So sorry for your loss and for the others who have lost their pets.
It hits hard and takes a while to get over.
You have to grieve in order to heal.
Thinking of you.

Psalmody Sat 31-Aug-19 10:13:23

Oh that's so hard and such a shock. Now is a time of grieving but I have found that if I turn every rememberence to a deliberate thankfulness for the privilege of having a beloved creature in my life, it seems to positively process the sadness. Sending (((hugs)))

4allweknow Sat 31-Aug-19 10:16:17

It is hard when you loose a loved pet and even worse when it happens so suddenly. No doubt you will be told you had to think of your pet and not allow it to suffer. It is though still hard. You will know you had to let go albeit sadly.

henetha Sat 31-Aug-19 10:17:47

Huge sympathy. It's such an upsetting thing to do. I once took a friend's cat to be put down as she couldn't bring herself to do it and I found it absolutely dreadful and cried buckets.
So when it's your own cat it's ten times worse. So sorry.

SillyNanny321 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:19:50

Losing my little black rescue Girl very soon. In two weeks she lost a lot of weight. Vet found a large lump. After an exploratory operation & tests found it is a high grade carcinoma & now just have to wait until my poor little girl tells me she has had enough. I adopted her & her daughter 5+ years ago & said i hoped I could give her 5 good years. Only been about 6 months over that. So unfair she had a rotten life & I love her so much. I will soon feel as you feel Jacks Grandma & Crystaltips! So much love to you both for loving yours as I love mine.

Carolelouise Sat 31-Aug-19 10:24:08

Something someone sent to me when my beautiful Dalmatian died;

When I come to you in dreams,
I’m really there.

When you see me out of the corner of your eye,
I’m really there.

When you sense me around the place,
I’m really there.

I haven’t left you, not really.

My spirit is everywhere, but especially with you.

Don’t know who who to attribute it to, but hope it helps you. Always sad when your pet dies..

Benboy Sat 31-Aug-19 10:26:03

I really feel for you . I had the same thing last year . Bless you. It will get easier x

Cat4 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:34:28

Dear Jacksgranma, I am sorry for your lose but it was best for your fur baby. Last summer I had to say good bye to my diabetic cat who also had heart problems, the heat didn’t help her. I told my granddaughter (now just 6) that Angel is in the sky and often plays on a rainbow. A few weeks later she told me that Angel has a friend to play with now - a relative’s dog had passed. I thought that was lovely the way her mind worked, it brought tears to my eyes. I have also told that she has spotted them yet my reply was they are playing hide and seek. It’s a lovely way of thinking about them.

crystaltipps Sat 31-Aug-19 10:42:45

jacksgrandma I expect you have shed a few tears this morning like I have. No little friend jumping on the bed and snuggling up on the sofa. No seeing her in her favourite spot in the shade. No rattling the bowl and having her run and meow at me. Did I do the right thing thoughts. Washing her bed and blankets and bowls. She was my favourite cat ever and she followed me around and “helped” me when sewing or working on the computer ( sitting on the fabric or the keyboard). She was a little black rescue not old, but has been ill for a few months and we knew the prognosis was poor. But I’m feeling really bereft today.

Cat4 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:42:57

As per usual I didn’t reread what I had written. My last sentence should read - I was also told that she hasn’t spotted them yet my reply was they are playing hide and seek. It’s a lovely way of thinking about them.

Theoddbird Sat 31-Aug-19 10:45:15

Hugs for you. Her special moggy soul has flown to the Rainbow Bridge x

b1zzle Sat 31-Aug-19 11:09:37

My heart goes out to you. I know only too well the pain you feel. Have been through it more times than I would care to count, but then I guess the pain is the price we pay for love and those little paw prints on your heart that hurt so much right now will soften one day.

Pussycat2012 Sat 31-Aug-19 11:18:40

Even reading this has brought tears to my eyes. I can only imagine how heart wrenching this must be for you. Be comforted that you did what was best for your cat in the circumstances and couldn’t have loved her more or given her a happier life. Perhaps in time you will choose to take on another pet and it will help you feel less lost.?

Jue1 Sat 31-Aug-19 11:19:56

Sending lots of love and hugs. Lost my little French cat (Mimi) a couple of months ago, she had been rescued in France. Chipped, inoculated and passport later we brought her and her son back to the Uk. She was very old but lived a year in absolute luxury and reasonable health.That was the best we could do for her. Miss her still. Good luck.