Gransnet forums

Pets

Very upset as had to have cat put down this morning

(81 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:43:08

My ten year old cat started having breathing problems less than two days ago. Second vet visit today for X-ray and investigation and had call to say had to be put down. Was with her for injection. Feeling so sad as much loved family pet and as it's all happened so quickly , and been so awful, it's quite a lot to accept at the moment.

mosaicwarts Sat 31-Aug-19 23:00:20

So sorry to read this, I have had and had to say goodbye to many cats in my lifetime and all hold a special place in my heart. My remaining cat is 14, and she is my last x

Chucky Mon 02-Sep-19 09:03:49

So sorry for you. Pets can be important parts of the family. I loved my old boy a lot more than some of my family! I (and my adult son) cried when he was put to sleep, but he was suffering so had to make that decision.
We had him cremated and have his ashes, which will be dealt with when the time is right.
For you ?

Rene72 Tue 03-Sep-19 21:11:18

Same for me, my beautiful fur baby Ruby, was running around a local field with her sister and 2 of her sons and GD on the Monday. Tuesday she seemed a bit quiet, Wednesday she wouldn’t eat her tea, took her to the vet on Thursday, they kept her in for blood tests etc. She refused to eat or drink and went downhill, tests came back, blood test showed a low white cell count, CT scan showed lumps on her liver and pancreatitis. Saturday, results came back ...lumps on her liver showed no cancer but that could have been because the vet was unable to put her under anaesthetic to take a proper sample because she was so poorly, her breathing got so bad she was put in an oxygen tent. I kept visiting her to try and get her to eat and drink and give her cuddles, the vet hospital was very good and allowed me a room for as long as I wanted but she had to be taken away from me on Monday night to put her back on oxygen. I didn’t sleep that Monday night and by the morning I’d made that terrible decision to let her go...to say you’re heartbroken at a time like this is an understatement! I can’t stop crying!
Sadly, I blame my husband to some extent, (she always favoured him and slept in his room) blame him because he kept feeding her all sorts of crap, everything from biscuits to chips, bread to pizza and she grew fatter and fatter. A Shitzu as tiny as her should’ve only weighed about 8kg, she weighed nearly 14! I put her on a light diet but he just kept on feeding her, told him he was killing her with kindness but he’d just laugh and say but she likes it. He said the same when he was feeding them all grapes, he didn’t believe me they could die until I showed him an email from a local vet that said he’d had 2 puppies in that had died, despite blood transfusions etc. from eating grapes!
He is NOT allowed to feed the 4 that we still have with ANYTHING. He used to give the youngest cows milk he saved from his cereal in the morning and I’ve stopped that now too.
He always said she was his dog yet he wouldn’t even look at her after she’d gone, not as I put her in the back of our car and took her to our local pet cemetery to be cremated. This was only 4 weeks ago and yes, I’m writing this tho my tears!

Tedber Fri 20-Sep-19 18:29:24

Am very late joining this......sorry!

Know exactly how you are feeling. Our ten year old cat suddenly went from being healthy to being put down in April this year. I had lost my mum and my best friend just prior to this and yet I was absolutely 'gutted' when my little four legged friend went so suddenly.

Obviously I miss my mum and best friend incredibly but they were never sat on my bed in a morning and rubbing themselves up against my legs while I was making breakfast!

It is a sad time when our beloved pets go and all I can say is I understand.....

Septimia Fri 20-Sep-19 18:34:57

Sorry Jacksgrandma123, such a sad time. Animals quickly worm their way into our hearts and it's really hard when we have to let them go, even if it saves them suffering.