Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you a cat or dog person?

(114 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:20:49

Or maybe both?

Most people I've met are one or the other, even if they love all animals.

Do you think it ties in with being an extrovert/ introvert?

Grandma70s Mon 07-Sep-20 16:08:05

Cats, very definitely cats. They are so exceptionally beautiful and graceful. They are fastidious. They are cuddly but independent. They always seem to have hidden depths, though that is probably my imagination. Dogs to me seem very dependent, always needing attention. I feel the same about similar types of people.

Iam64 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:21:05

I have lived with dogs for 71 years, with a break between 18 - 25 when my first spaniel joined me. Since then, I've had one, two and occasionally three dogs living with me. Great loss in the past 18 months two of my dogs died, most recently a much loved 12 year old standard poodle x working lab. A very intelligent and biddable girl, with an affectionate, easy going personality.
Currently down to one young spaniel but who knows what life will bring.
I had three cats over about 20 years but we moved onto a main road at a point of no cats and I wouldn't want to bring one here, too risky. A friend has pedigree cats and I'm very taken with her American Coon cat, he's a bit like a dog.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Sep-20 20:35:05

Despite my love of cats, I don't currently have one with me. I think I'm waiting for a replica of my dear old ginger Tom to come along. He came to me as a rescue cat and was one of life's fighters; dogs, other cats, children and most adults; he showed no distinction, he'd chase and bite them all. He was the best hunter I've ever known, rats, mice, frogs, other people's dinner, every day he hunted something and dragged it home to me. His ears looked like they'd been cut out with pinking shears, they were so ragged and scarred. Whilst everyone was terrified of him, with good reason, he was the most loving, affectionate little thing with me and he trusted me implicitly to dress his wounds and give him yet more antibiotics for his war wounds. I still miss him.

Iam64 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:39:39

He sounds a real character Chewbacca. They''re the one's who bring so much happiness and fun into our lives. All my dogs have been special but the recently deceased big poodle x working lab was very special. High prey urge so I had to increase my training abilities to make sure she stayed with me. Full of personality - the house feels twice the size without her

TheFrugalPiggy Mon 07-Sep-20 20:42:17

Dogs are a must for me but I do like cats. I've had three cats but each one has ended badly and I can't deal with the pain.

52bright Mon 07-Sep-20 20:45:45

Definitely dogs. Both dh and I had dogs as children. They lived to ripe old ages and enhanced our childhoods. When dd was aged 9 we aquired a mixed breed puppy who needed a home. Came from a farm. Half border collie half don't know what. We wanted a dog but the farmer only had a bitch left. He wasn't too pleased that his valuable border collie bitch had got out and somehow got pregnant. Just wanted the puppy off his hands. She turned out to be the most loyal, protective and intelligent dog ever. Lived until she was 17. We were so devastated when she died that we decided we couldn't face having another dog. That was until two years ago when the dog we have now needed a home. A small labradoodle. Standard lab mated with minature poodle. She was 10 months old and so nervous when she came to us. So many lovely dogs need homes. My third, counting my childhood one, all crosses needing homes and all amazing pets.

Hollyhock1 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:51:15

I've had a cat for nearly all my adult life but I really long to have a dog! We currently have an 8yr old cat who I hand reared - she's the most fierce cat I know! Can't stroke her or pick her up or she'll bite- she basically lives here and lives a life of luxury. She's also very nervous so am reluctant to ruin her life by adding in a dog. Has anyone noticed a huge rise in the price of puppies? Our local rescues can't keep up with demand either.

Casdon Mon 07-Sep-20 21:45:27

Love both, but although my dog is so much more needy, he’s also incredibly bright and intuitive and really cares about us his family. Cats aren’t domesticated in the same way, give them a few hundred thousand years and maybe they will be? (Yes I do have a cat as well).

grandtanteJE65 Tue 08-Sep-20 13:45:11

I have had cats all my life and dogs when I was a child.

I had wondered when we moved to a house in the country, whether we should get a dog, but having elderly cats we decided not to.

Coming up for 69, so perhaps its too late for a dog?

LauraNorder Tue 08-Sep-20 13:59:00

Definitely a dog lover, wasn't allowed a pet in my house proud mother's home. As soon as I married we had our first labrador and have had at least one ever since, until April when our little Maggie died.
I like cats and cuddle those of friends but have never had a cat because I have a very real terror of mice and I know they like to bring little gifts, shudders.

TwoWolves Tue 08-Sep-20 14:08:23

Cats every time. I've had cats since I was six years old and would never be without. There may be something to be said about the introvert/extrovert thing. I'm an introvert and a bit of a loner, and most of the people I meet with dogs always seem to be chattier.

Charleygirl5 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:14:39

I adore my cat but I think I am an extrovert.

BlueSky Thu 10-Sep-20 23:35:49

Dogs every time! Weird as I used to love cats but for me now there is no comparison with the affection and personality of a dog, they become family members!

Alioop Sun 13-Sep-20 20:51:16

I'm a doggie person. Love all animals, but have always loved having a dog. Now I'm on my own, I'm thankful for my furry friend. Makes me exercise, have something to talk to and makes me smile. They give you so much love, they are great.

benhunt Sat 19-Sep-20 19:50:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Oopsminty Sat 19-Sep-20 19:56:05

Dogs, dogs, dogs.

Absolutely adore them

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:43:24

definitely both

CaptainCarol Tue 22-Sep-20 17:11:19

i love my cats! there like family to me, king Oscar and Lady Lola are such characters and great companions. Especially with my age I couldn't handle the responsibility of a dog my knees aren't the same as they used to be 20 years ago

Willow500 Tue 22-Sep-20 17:16:30

We've had several dogs over the years who have always given unconditional love but have had cats for over 40 years now so I would say definitely a cat person. They all have such different personalities and whilst they're very independent they give as much love as dogs do - just in their own way smile

DanniRae Tue 22-Sep-20 17:35:39

No contest - DOGS!! grin

Bodach Tue 22-Sep-20 17:39:43

Dogs every time for me. As some of you may recall from a previous thread, my aversion to cats is exceeded only by my outrage at their complacent owners' refusal to countenance any curb on their beloved Tiddles crapping in my garden and killing the small birds I feed.

Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Sat 17-Oct-20 18:02:21

Both, I love them for their personality and traits

After my last cat was killed on the road I swore I wouldn't get another but I do miss not having one in the house and the dogs help me get out and have been a godsend during these strange days we are alll having to endure

But give me anything with fur and I'm a sucker for a cuddle, ?

Sparklefizz Sat 17-Oct-20 18:08:07

I love all furry animals, but cats are special and I've had a cat - or three - all my life. They are wonderful.

FannyCornforth Sat 17-Oct-20 18:41:52

Definitely both.
I feel so fortunate to share my life and and personal space with any animal.
It is a true blessing.

diygran Sat 17-Oct-20 19:01:01

Have had 2 cats. The last one was a real 'madam'. Think she was part wild cat and used to creep up and bite the back of our legs. Lived a long time....too long. So it's always dogs for us now. All rescue dogs or those needing home because of divorce.
Husband and I are definitely not extrovert but very chatty to other dog walkers.