Gransnet forums

Pets

Are you a cat or dog person?

(114 Posts)
MissAdventure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:20:49

Or maybe both?

Most people I've met are one or the other, even if they love all animals.

Do you think it ties in with being an extrovert/ introvert?

Desdemona Sat 17-Oct-20 19:15:56

I like both, but have only ever had cats because they are simpler to take care of.

Gingster Sat 17-Oct-20 19:22:35

Cats make me sneeze. I love my dog

Eviebeanz Sat 17-Oct-20 19:28:38

I have had a cat as a child and then both over the years but currently have a dog - dogs somehow seem more interested in you whereas cats tend to do their own thing

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 17-Oct-20 19:36:04

I love both, but the heart ache of a missing cat is just too much so I have dogs. I adore all animals though.

phoenix Sat 17-Oct-20 19:42:23

Both! Used to have 3 dogs, collie, spaniel crops and JRT, plus 2 cats when with ex. Also sheep, chickens, ducks, bantams, old pony and donkey.

Currently just 2 cats, but would love a dog. My friend runs a dog charity in Mexico, they catch and neuter street dogs, but are always looking for homes for the puppies.

We would love to have one, but the cost of getting it from there to here, plus quarantine costs means it's not feasible sad

sart Sat 17-Oct-20 19:43:18

Dogs will always be my favourite but I love cats too and have had quite a few over the years. Basically, I just love animals!!

phoenix Sat 17-Oct-20 19:43:23

CROSS! Not crops!

PollyDolly Sat 17-Oct-20 19:43:55

If I was inclined to own either it would probably be a dog. I despise cats, I've cleaned up far too much cat s**t in my garden and drive. However, I cannot stomach the thought of picking up after a dog too, so, no pets for me!

Aneweye Sat 17-Oct-20 21:04:57

Hi to all, first post yada yada. Love both, but adore cats. They take a bit more effort to reward you with affection, plus feeding them helpssmile I like the fact that they don’t seem to get stressed or do anything that doesn’t suit them

Spangler Sat 17-Oct-20 21:15:51

Whoever coined the saying: "Dogs have owners, Cats have staff," got it right. Another one that I have heard is: "Cats rule. Dogs drool."

We have three Birman cats, all have that air of entitlement about them. Try correcting one and you will get a flick of the plume, (Birmans are not common, so please, don't call their plume a tail,) that flick says it all: "Up Your's."

Luckygirl Sat 17-Oct-20 21:25:43

I am definitely a person person. grin

Hetty58 Sat 17-Oct-20 21:30:20

I like them both - but in different ways. I can't say that I prefer one, though. I like animals a lot more than people!

Roses Sat 17-Oct-20 21:39:19

I have had dogs I the past but never knew how sweet and gentle a dog can be until I got one three years ago after having an aggressive dog put to sleep . She is just the nicest dog ever, doesnt shed or smell and has the most loving nature every day I wonder how lucky I am to have her, she keeps me going in these terrible times

Hellogirl1 Sat 17-Oct-20 21:56:07

I love both, since getting married we had 3 dogs and 7 cats over 53 (now 57) years. One dog lived to be 15 then sadly had to be put to sleep, and one cat lived to be 16. I currently have a cat, have been unable to have a dog for several years now, as I am unable to do the walking anymore.

Bathsheba Sat 17-Oct-20 22:15:44

Dogs for me. Cats are cute, particularly appealing when they're young, but I just cannot come to terms with their need to capture, torment or even kill tiny furry and feathered creatures. It really upsets me. (I also cannot abide the way they use other people's gardens for toileting purposes, grrrr)

Sooze83 Sat 09-Jan-21 13:10:47

I'm a dog person, but my husband wanted a cat.

Now I don't think I could live without her as she's darling, and love to watch her antics as we play with her.

Sparklefizz Sat 09-Jan-21 13:13:57

Cats ... cats .... cats..... all the way! I think they are wonderful animals. I've had cats all my life and they have all been loving and affectionate.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 25-Apr-21 22:57:56

Both, but then myself and DH absolutely adore ours, love animals much more than people, we’ve never ever been without pets, nor would we want to be ,

Redhead56 Sun 25-Apr-21 23:24:55

Grew up with cats and later a dog. I have always had a dog when I married again we both had a dog. For nearly twenty five years had two dogs. Our Jack Russell died last year he won't be replaced just have one lovely nervous female cross staffi now.

Purplepixie Wed 12-May-21 13:15:41

Cat lady here. ?

Lexisgranny Wed 12-May-21 13:25:43

Definitely dogs, was born into a doggy household and have never found a reason to change, I remember each one with great affection.

Daisend1 Wed 12-May-21 13:46:20

I take an inhaler for shortness of breath, which developed many years ago having suffered pneumonia on two occasions. I found when visiting friends who had two cats this also affected my breathing .So as much as I would like a cat it is dogs only which do not affect my on going health issue.

Kate1949 Wed 12-May-21 13:56:23

We don't have either but I prefer cats. I'd say I don't like dogs but I haven't got my tin hat handy.

Kate1949 Wed 12-May-21 13:58:54

Just realised this is an old thread!

nanna8 Wed 12-May-21 14:01:32

I like both but whereas I like all cats there are some dogs that I don’t like and wouldn’t have.