Gransnet forums

Pets

Do you sleep with your pet?

(170 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 04-Nov-20 18:49:39

This new cat of mine is very affectionate and as soon as he sees me heading for bed he goes down and gets in too. It's a bit annoying as he wants to have his head on the pillow and paws around me. I shut the door last night when he started to lick me and then was afraid I had hurt his feelings. Should I just lock him in the kitchen?

Juliet27 Wed 04-Nov-20 18:53:35

Despite it sounds odd, I sometimes can’t sleep if I’m not snuggled with my dog!

Missfoodlove Wed 04-Nov-20 18:53:39

Yes!?

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 18:58:42

Oh no, I loved it when we had cats and they slept on our bed. Don’t shut him out, try to train him to sleep with you but not lick you. Of course, a cat licking his human is just showing that he loves her/him.

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 18:59:20

Is he a kitten or a rescue cat?

Septimia Wed 04-Nov-20 18:59:53

Not every night, but we often wake to find one cat stretched out between us, making movement impossible, and the other on my pillow, pretending to be my fur hat.

If we don't leave the bedroom door open, they rip the carpet outside to shreds. Consequently they come and go as they please!

Missfoodlove Wed 04-Nov-20 19:00:51

Yuk!!
The thought of sleeping with a pet.
I love my dog but not enough to sleep with her.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:01:06

Nope. My dogs sleep in their own beds, in the comfortable Utility room. they're fed in there and spend time there if ur four young grandchildren are racing about. Sadly, a rare event in recent months thanks to the virus.

We were a three dog family for many years. Currently,we are down to one but expecting another to arrive before too long. The dogs are family members, the current dog is snuggled up on the sofa next to me. But, I draw the line at sharing my bed with her and certainly wouldn't have wanted the previous two huge dogs along with her taking over my bed!
They're very happy in their own space. I know its a matter of choice but for me, its part of training. They do as I ask them to do. Going to bed is part of that.

phoenix Wed 04-Nov-20 19:06:05

Our cats sometimes sleep at the foot of the bed, but Minnie who adores Mr P, will sometimes wander up to chew and lick his fingers!

Oliver Sprout just head bumps me when he either wants to go out or thinks it's breakfast time!

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:09:44

Tara my cat comes to bed with me for cuddles but when I switch off the light she usually moves elsewhere- sometimes to a rug on the landing, a chair in my bedroom or even downstairs.

If you lock the cat in a room, make sure there is a litter tray, food and water and the litter tray must not be close to the food.

SueDonim Wed 04-Nov-20 19:10:45

Absolutely not! I hate being disturbed so they’ve always slept in the kitchen or utility room.

Liz46 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:11:09

We have a kitten who is very affectionate and gentle but wants to scratch the furniture. We therefore shut him out of the living room when we go to bed.

We usually wake up to find him between our pillows. He must feel safe there.

He purrs a lot - even when he is being told off for scratching.

Ellianne Wed 04-Nov-20 19:13:24

Our cats are mousers and live to hunt. When we lived in an old farmhouse they were always bringing their live catches into the bedroom. Needless to say we now shut the door tight.
Our big dog sleeps in his bed in the bedroom. I sometimes have nightmares when I sleep and he jumps onto the bed to check on me.

Puzzler61 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:14:29

Yes. She is our rescue cat who was so nervous from bad times before we adopted her. She just wants to be where we are.
She’s no trouble at night and she’s so very relaxed with us.
We get much joy from her. ?

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Nov-20 19:14:35

We have a carpet scratcher too, so he has access. He is very vocal and lets us know he has arrived! To say we sleep with our cat is an exaggeration - he sleeps, we have been woken up and lie there.

kircubbin2000 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:15:34

He's a rescue cat and was fostered between 3 rescuers when no one wanted him.

MayBee70 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:16:42

My cats ways slept on the bed. My dogs always slept in their baskets. My current dog (whippet) sleeps next to me. It sort of evolved that way and I don’t think there’s any going back now.

MaggieTulliver Wed 04-Nov-20 19:19:03

Depends on the animal. I sleep with my dog who barely stirs during the night and I find it so comforting with him there next to me (am single!). It would be a complete no-no with my cat however, she’d be constantly pawing my face wanting to be stroked and can’t seem to settle for long.

Puzzler61 Wed 04-Nov-20 19:35:58

Oh he’s gorgeous kircubbin.
Another tabby like ours ?

phoenix Wed 04-Nov-20 20:10:34

The dear departed Digby (RIP) aka Squeaky Fatarse, was very lovely, but dim.

When Mr P was working away during the week, I would cart Diggers up with me at bedtime, we would have pouncing practice, (me wiggling my toes under the duvet) and then snuggle ups, with him curving close in to my body, but on top of the duvet, not under it.

It was quite comforting, actually!

Casdon Wed 04-Nov-20 20:20:53

No, my dog loves his own space, he has a cage in the utility room (never locked) which has been his boy cave since he was a puppy, he takes himself off there about 10pm and sleeps like a baby all night.

geekesse Wed 04-Nov-20 21:01:46

No way! Every pet I have ever had is banished to the kitchen at night, and they are never allowed in the bedroom, day or night.

I can’t imagine how people tolerate the smell, moulting or fleas in their bedroom, never mind the bacteria pets carry.

sodapop Wed 04-Nov-20 21:08:57

Two dogs sleep in my bedroom but have their own day bed in there. Couldn't be doing with them on the bed, I get too hot. The cat sleeps outside in the barn,

Puzzler61 Wed 04-Nov-20 21:19:40

Our cat does not have fleas, she doesn’t smell, and I use a pet lint roller every day on the bed to remove cat hair (minimal as she is brushed daily).
Each to their own I say. And some folk are definitely more tolerant than others geekesse.

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 21:23:13

We do let our dog cuddle on the bed, but she sleeps in her own bed and jumps down when we get sleepy. We've never encouraged her to sleep with us as she was a small puppy when we got her and we worried about squashing her.

She has a crate with a blanket over the top and a cosy, soft bed inside- but we never close the door of the crate. It's just her dark doggy cave and she likes it smile