Gransnet forums

Pets

Returning puppy to breeder Has anyone does this?

(85 Posts)
MollyAA12 Thu 18-Mar-21 15:10:39

We sent back a puppy this week to the breeder after six weeks. We had found the whole experience shattering and the breeder said she would let it go to a lady who already had a cockapoo and wanted another. I ended up stressed and quite ill.
We are both gutted as if she had died. I lost myold spaniel on 4 April last year which was awful and I feel the same again.
I have had three spaniels in the past and they were lovely. Cockapoos are full of octane fuel and will eat and chew anything evenm when they are grown. I have spoken to other owners and they all say they are hard work. We are not young and I feel this contributed to the sheer exhaustion of it all.
Anyone done the same?

sodapop Fri 19-Mar-21 16:56:16

It always surprises me when people don't do their research when making such an important purchase. So many things to consider when getting a pet not least our own capabilities and health.
Sorry you had a bad experience Molly Hope it hasn't put you off dog ownership.

Hetty58 Fri 19-Mar-21 17:07:41

Cockapoos are very intelligent and high energy. They need owners who can give them lots of time, exercise and entertainment. If they're bored, they'll just make their own fun - by chewing through doors etc. All puppies are inclined to chew, though, with some breeds more mouthy than others.

I prefer a lively dog and find calm, relaxed ones rather boring. To each his own. Molly just had a mismatch between her expectations and the reality. She wisely realised her mistake and the puppy will get a more suitable home.

MayBee70 Sat 20-Mar-21 12:49:04

When my whippet was a puppy there were numerous occasions when I would have given her back to the breeder. I’m glad I didn’t because she’s been everything to us in lockdown. Having said that she had diahorrea throughout the night and it took me back to when she was a puppy: I can cope with the odd night of that but not months of toilet training and other puppy stuff. As with looking after grandchildren having a puppy makes you realise how old you are. I agree about considering a greyhound though, but check out it doesn’t have corns which they are prone to.

MollyAA12 Thu 01-Apr-21 15:15:01

I am back again. Puppy has been gone for two weeks and it has been hard, She has gone to another home where there is another cockapoo so all will be well. However, I do feel guilty about letting her go and keep lookingat her photos. I feel as if she has died. I hope I buck up because it is affecting my health, She is only little and they do bond with humans quickly. I will never forget her and will always wonder where she is. Am I being over sentimental?

We are looking for a retired breeding spaniel like my last spaniel who died in 2020. I have had three cockers over the years so am experienced with them. Molly the cockapoo was a live wire fuelled on high octane fuel. She needed wht we could not give her. We are fit but she did not sleep at all during the day but wanted constant attention for fifteen hours. Iseriously think she would have been a hyperactive dog.

SueDonim Thu 01-Apr-21 15:26:23

You’ve done the caring thing, Molly, which is face up to the limitations on what you could offer the pup and done your level best to get her exactly what she needs. You’ve acted in her interests, not your own. Well done, don’t feel bad about it. flowers

MayBee70 Thu 01-Apr-21 15:36:54

Molly. That’s why I switched from spaniels to whippets. My spaniels were constantly on the go, wanting attention. Having said that I loved walking them as their recall was very good whereas I can only let the whippet off lead in an enclosed environment or on the beach. In the house she sleeps all the time. Even in a particular breed they can be entirely different so doing your homework isn’t enough. I can understand how you feel, though. I bred a couple of litters of spaniels and even though they were only with me for a few weeks I still think of them a lot. At least you got your pup from the sort of breeder that will take puppies back and rehome them. My worry is my age but the breeder I used will take back her dogs at any age and there is a huge support network. You know you did the right thing by your little dog so don’t beat yourself up about it. I’m sure there’s a little older dog out there somewhere that needs you and you’ll find each other x

ceejayjay Sun 09-May-21 13:22:51

I understand puppies are hard work. Mine was the hardest thing ive ever done. But luckily she grew out of it much quicker than anticipated. You did the right thing, you followed your gut and that allowed this pup to go off to a new home and have a great life. Dont feel bad xx

ceejayjay Sun 09-May-21 13:26:22

MollyAA12

I am back again. Puppy has been gone for two weeks and it has been hard, She has gone to another home where there is another cockapoo so all will be well. However, I do feel guilty about letting her go and keep lookingat her photos. I feel as if she has died. I hope I buck up because it is affecting my health, She is only little and they do bond with humans quickly. I will never forget her and will always wonder where she is. Am I being over sentimental?

We are looking for a retired breeding spaniel like my last spaniel who died in 2020. I have had three cockers over the years so am experienced with them. Molly the cockapoo was a live wire fuelled on high octane fuel. She needed wht we could not give her. We are fit but she did not sleep at all during the day but wanted constant attention for fifteen hours. Iseriously think she would have been a hyperactive dog.

Please, please consider Many Tears Animal rescue. They have many cocker ex breeding spaniels. This is where I rescued my Luna from. Please shout if you would like a chat xx

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 13:35:24

We are looking for a retired breeding spaniel

I don't know if you've found another dog, Molly but, if you are choosing a spaniel, the advice may be to choose a show cocker together than a working cocker spaniel.

The real difference, however is in their behaviour. Show types generally require less exercise and are often quite scent focussed, spending lots of time sniffing. Working cockers are highly energetic and tend to go everywhere at top speed. They often require more stimulation than show cockers.

SpanielAid

A show cocker would be more suitable if you are older.

Callistemon Sun 09-May-21 13:36:03

Not together than - autocorrect!

Rather than

Buffybee Sun 09-May-21 13:57:27

MollyAA12, I’m sure you feel sad about having to let her go but know that you did the right thing for both of you. flowers
I’ve had dogs since I left home at 20 and the puppy stage is always hard work.
When my old girl Buffy died, I decided to have a Cavapoo (I was actually warned off Cockapoo as very hard work and the mix of fun poodle and laidback Cavalier King Charles seems to be the best of both) and I can honestly say she is the easiest puppy I have ever had. Housetrained by 12 weeks, quick to learn, fun and amusing but snoozes a lot too, some chewing when left, usually anything of mine, glasses, pens etc. but now if I have to leave her for a while, I leave something I have just worn in her bed and tell her to look after it for me and since then she’s been fine.
I’m sure you will find a good match this time.

Aveline Sun 09-May-21 14:23:09

We once returned a cat to the breeder. It was awful. I've had cats all my life but not like this one. She was obsessed with me and terrified of DH (who loves cats and never ever hurt her). She'd try to run up sheer walls to get away from him. I was like a pin cushion from her claws as she continually tried to claw her way up me. She began to spray visitors and generally made our quiet old cat's life a misery by bullying him.
We took her back to the breeder who said she'd rehome her to a house with a single lady occupant.
I did feel guilty but also relieved. Our other old cat was obviously a lot happier too without this highly strung female cat about the place.

geekesse Sun 09-May-21 16:16:41

I’m just astonished that people have been conned into paying pedigree breed prices for crossbreed and mongrel dogs with mildly amusing hybrid names. This is without question the triumph of cynical marketing over common sense.

I quite like mongrels. They tend not to have the health or temperament problems associated with pedigree animals. Just don’t expect me to pay a thousand pounds or more for one.

Aveline Sun 09-May-21 17:02:25

I'm not a dog owner but are those specific crossbreeds not something to do with poodle fur being non allergenic?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 09-May-21 17:05:48

DD2 adopted a cavacockerpoo, he is the loveliest and most well behaved dog I’ve ever known, he was well trained when they got him and he’s been a delight, he’s 11 now and has a heart condition and his legs aren’t very good, not sure if this is a problem with the breeds or not, but with his pills he should be fine for a couple more years as long as he doesn’t try to run anywhere, not likely as he’s very laid back.

25Avalon Sun 09-May-21 17:16:16

I know someone who had a Dachshund puppy and was unable to cope with it constantly wanting attention when she and her mum were working from home. She was going to re-home and met a family who lived just round the corner from her who was willing to take the puppy. Being satisfied they were suitable she let the dog go to them. They send her regular photos and videos of the dog and she can pop round to see it occasionally. This is only a small dog too. If you really can’t cope it’s best to admit it for the dog’s sake. Good breeders recognise this and will take a dog back.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 17:23:55

You made the right decision! The dog will have a wonderful life with new owners . Much better to have done this than struggle on , that would have been damaging to you and your partner.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 17:24:28

and of course the dog !

Shandy57 Sun 09-May-21 19:55:24

I am so glad you took him back. There is an elderly couple near me with a puppy, and they pull at it on the lead and shout at it. I know their last dog was very elderly - as are they - they obviously aren't coping and should also return him to the breeder.

Iam64 Sun 09-May-21 21:04:43

MollyAA12, i missed your,OP in March. Thanks for coming back to update us.
Spaniel Aid may be able to help you find an ex breeding bitch. I agree with Callistemon, a show type will probably be more chilled than a working cocker.
I had a cocker[oo, sadly he died age 6 from a brutal, inoperable tumour. I loved him but honestly, the most challenging dog I ever shared my life with. I’ve always had dogs, including rescues and fosters , none of them anything like as complex as my cockerpoo.

I know there are some lovely cockerpoo but, my training friends all say, these are not easy dogs. My view is it’s not a good cross. Highly intelligent sensitive miniature poodle x with highly sensitive, clever spaniels. Spaniels can be prone to separation anxiety.

You did the right thing and good for the breeder to take the pup back. That’s one of the other problems, inexperienced quick buck people breeeding any old spaniel with any old poodle. No thought to health or temperament. Rant over

NanaandGrampy Sun 09-May-21 21:50:00

You hit the nail on the head Iam, not a good cross and yet breeders are churning them out hand over fist and gullible novice owners are then surprised with what they’ve bought.

A good breeder will always take your mistake back but a real shame for the owner and the pup .

Dinahmo Sun 09-May-21 22:01:35

Aveline

I'm not a dog owner but are those specific crossbreeds not something to do with poodle fur being non allergenic?

The Australian who originally came up with Labradoodles did so because of allergies. He has since said that he wished he'd never done it because of the indiscriminate breeding that has happened since.

CafeAuLait Sun 09-May-21 22:52:50

Kudos for returning the puppy knowing that you couldn't meet its needs. A quieter breed or older dog maybe?

Spice101 Mon 10-May-21 00:45:58

Whitewavemark2

Talking to our vet and she was saying that these “cross breeds” definitely have their issues and behaviour is one of them.

Whereas dogs were bred for utility and behaviour, like terriers and retrievers, gun dogs and lap dogs. You knew what you were getting.

With the recent crosses done simply for the look of the dog and it’s cuteness value, they have simply overlooked or through ignorance forgotten about behaviour. It has thrown up some real issues.

Absolutely Whitewavemark2.
I bred pure bred Airedale Terriers for 30 years and while there is no doubt there was some variance in their temperment you pretty much knew what you were getting.
The so called hybred vigour of mating two totally different breeds supposedly was only going to pass on the positive attributes of both breeds and none of the negatives. If only genetics worked like that. Give the offspring a silly name and there you have a bandwagon for people to jump on. Most people breeding these crosses have no idea about hereditary conditions or testing for health issues.
Kudos to you MollyAA12 for recognizing you and this pup were not compatible and not just bumbling along creating a greater issue for both you and the pup. I know how hard the decision would have been but it is the right one..

Shelflife Mon 10-May-21 15:39:54

Advice please . We have had our RSPCA rescue cat for three years now. Neighbour , also a friend has told me that our cat is using her veg. plot as her toilet! I fully understand her feelings and am anxious to resolve the situation. Have tried everything, nothing works. Our previous cat was with us for 14 years and we didn't have this problem. In my down moments I have considered rehoming her. Drastic I know ! She is sweet natured and we love her. However I do value my friendship with my neighbour and don't want this problem to spoil that.
In the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal I suppose, but it does cause me anxiety. We have a massive garden with hedges , to fence it would cost a huge amount. So your views will be appreciated- re-home or not ?