Gransnet forums

Pets

Black cats

(90 Posts)
Moggycuddler Wed 14-Apr-21 12:00:31

Here are my two beautiful little black panthers. When I look at them I always wonder how, in 2021, there is still so much prejudice against black cats. When I first adopted my two (sisters) someone asked me whether the shelter hadn't had any "nicer" ones. Have you encountered any instances of this?

kittylester Wed 14-Apr-21 13:50:41

Should have said that his name is Kiwi because he is an All Black! Boom boom!!

SueDonim Wed 14-Apr-21 13:50:54

Your cats must be exhausted living that kind of lifestyle, Kittylester. grin

Artaylar Wed 14-Apr-21 13:53:19

I've had a black cat since 2005 and love her to absolute bits.

There is a funny little story of how Tishka - Tish for short - came into my life.

My beloved silver grey tabby, Sasha, had died at the age of 18 in 2003; I was heartbroken and I had really no intention of getting another cat.

So one day I went into a local little animal food shop for some bird food, and there was this little black kitten for sale. She looked very unwell indeed - all manky fur and matted eyes. I picked her up and she just flopped her little head on my shoulder. I put her back but that night could not get her out of my mind. My partner of the time was saying don't do it, you can see how poorly she looks and she will just break your heart and die soon.

I went back for her the next day. Put her in Sasha's old cat basket and brought her home.

Now here is the strangest thing. We got inside and I let her out of the cat basket and it was like a total metamorphasis had taken place during the 15 minute drive home. Gone was the frail and manky looking kitten and out jumped, large as life, a totally healthy kitten with shiny bright beautiful black sleek fur and clear eyes, running around like she owned the place.

We've been together ever since. She is such a (bossy) little character who has given me so much happiness. Now aged 16, she still looks like a little kitty koo who I always call my little teen queen.

As for the nonsense of some peeps on social media thinking that black cats are not photogenic, Tish, like all the other strikingly beautiful black cats on here, shows what absolute nonsense this is.

Artaylar Wed 14-Apr-21 13:59:46

KittyLester I'm absolutely loving the pic of your 3 cats at the window

Mapleleaf Wed 14-Apr-21 13:59:50

What beautiful cats you all have ?.

ninathenana Wed 14-Apr-21 14:22:32

My rescue panther

kircubbin2000 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:24:52

I've never seen any prejudice against black cats.

SueDonim Wed 14-Apr-21 14:38:25

kircubbin2000

I've never seen any prejudice against black cats.

www.rspca.org.uk/-/27_10_18_national_black_cat_day

gt66 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:13:35

This is my beautiful girl............

Ellianne Wed 14-Apr-21 15:18:37

This sure is some very classy catwalk on here!

Pammie1 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:19:28

Our beautiful mog Sam was jet black too. Sadly he died a couple of years ago, but he was a rescue cat. Despite being big and handsome and a glossy, almost blue black, with a gorgeous disposition, there was very little interest in him at the shelter and the staff told us that most people said it was because they thought black cats were either unlucky, or the colour was ‘drab’ and they wanted something more colourful. Sad.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:35:00

Best cat I ever had was black. Douglas. Was never able to replace him. Cats that followed him were never as wonderful. Has anyone noticed how huge black cats look from a distance? Must be a perspective thing. Bob Ross says when painting closer things should be darker so maybe seeing something dark in the distance makes it appear bigger? Same with black dogs: no one wants them if they’re in rescue kennels.

kittylester Wed 14-Apr-21 15:47:13

My black cat looks huge close up or far away. He is really greedy.

AGAA4 Wed 14-Apr-21 16:18:01

artaylar your cat is beautiful and the story about her coming to life when you brought her home is heartwarming

Artaylar Wed 14-Apr-21 16:23:54

Thanks for that AGAA4. It really is one of those strange but true stories.

My own view on it is that Tish knew a sucker when she saw one and gave something of an oscar winning performance wink

I am so loving all the beautiful pictures of folks' black cats being posted on here.

threexnanny Wed 14-Apr-21 16:37:21

We've had a couple of black cats too and they do seem to have good dispositions. I've been told by rescue centres that black ones are harder to rehome. The only cat colouring I'm wary of is any with white ears due to the sun burn they can get. A friend's cat had to have her white ears removed due to skin cancer.

SueDonim Wed 14-Apr-21 20:48:14

Artayler cats can be arch-manipulators. Your story reminded me of our very first two cats. We visited a rescue centre, intending to get just one cat. There were a number of cats wandering around and one of them, a tabby, made a beeline for Dh and jumped up on him and began purring and doing all those ‘I love you’ things cats do.

We thought he was the one but the manager said that if we took him, we had to take his friend, a very beautiful tortoiseshell, as well because they were inseparable. They certainly were very close, rubbing round each other and washing each other.

So, the following week, off we went, with two cats instead of one. We got them home, where everything was waiting them, let them out of their baskets and the two little wretches never so much as looked at each other again, let alone snuggle up or anything. Their twosome partnership had all been an act, it seemed!

The tortie in fact was ‘feisty’ and you could only stroke her head and ears, anywhere else and you risked life and limb. She’d also happily sit on your lap but if you dared move a muscle, woe betide! ?

avitorl Wed 14-Apr-21 20:52:23

I adopted my black cat from Cats Protection nearly 2 years ago. Sadly it is true that black cats are the most difficult to rehome. When I went into her enclosure I sat in a chair near her and she climbed onto my knee,cuddled into me and I knew I had to give her a home with me.
She was very small for her age and I think must have been with other animals who had taken her food from her. She growled when she was eating but wanted me to stand near her bowl whilst she feeding to keep her safe.She is fine now,no growling and knows she is the boss in this relationship!

Artaylar Thu 15-Apr-21 14:41:20

SueDonim your story made me laugh - arch manipulators indeed, and what a little double act your two were.

The loving I got from Tish in the shop turned out to be a bit of an act too. Any loving I got from her after bringing her home was very much on her terms and very infrequent, and I'd get a little bite on my finger if I tried overdoing it on the loving front.

She does seem to have mellowed in older age though.

SueDonim Thu 15-Apr-21 15:52:19

Artaylar, they are such characters, aren’t they? They have us wound round their little fingers (toes?) in no time at all! grin

AGAA4 Thu 15-Apr-21 16:02:19

My D has a rescue cat. The RSPCA man told her that the cat was very shy and quiet and would hide from them for quite a while when they took her home.
As soon as they let her out of her carrier she made a beeline for my Ds lap and started yowling at the top of her voice. She is the loudest cat I have ever known. She is always on someones lap and is a very loving cat but what a little actress.
Definitely not quiet and shy.

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 18:14:39

What a lot of lovely stories and pics of black cats.?
kitty you have three cats, lucky you.envy

lemongrove Thu 15-Apr-21 18:17:44

The black kitten in the book ( pictured upthread) enjoys making itself cheese toasties ( magic spells)? would your cat eat one if it found one on the kitchen countertop?
We used to have a ginger cat that actually sat up and begged for ham.

NfkDumpling Thu 15-Apr-21 18:58:51

I've always understood that all black cats have white hairs somewhere about their person. If you can't find at least one white hair, you have a witches cat. It took ages to find the white hairs on our panther, Fred. They were in a private place he didn't want us to inspect!

Puzzler61 Thu 15-Apr-21 19:19:31

Everyone’s beloved black cats are so beautiful.
We had one jet black female for 20 years and we were all besotted with her.
In my life I’ve had black and white cats and tabby cats too and they all have their own personalities.