Gransnet forums

Pets

Black cats

(90 Posts)
Moggycuddler Wed 14-Apr-21 12:00:31

Here are my two beautiful little black panthers. When I look at them I always wonder how, in 2021, there is still so much prejudice against black cats. When I first adopted my two (sisters) someone asked me whether the shelter hadn't had any "nicer" ones. Have you encountered any instances of this?

Magnolia62 Thu 15-Apr-21 20:00:45

A friend lived and worked on a Caribbean island for a few years. She adopted a black kitten but it was never allowed out as there was a local superstition that black cats were bad and it could possibly have been killed. When this friend returned to the UK she brought the cat with her. It was an expensive decision but to see the cat frolicking in the snow was a real treat. It now has a lovely life coming and going as it pleases outside.

LadyGracie Thu 15-Apr-21 20:02:41

Paddy my 16lb baby.

SueDonim Thu 15-Apr-21 20:10:47

Paddy’s gorgeous! We have a 16lb-er too, Ladygracie, though ours is blue. He likes to ride around the house on dh’s shoulders. hmm grin

Savvy Fri 16-Apr-21 02:14:39

I adore black cats, it's the way they look at you and you can only really see their gorgeous eyes!

We have a couple of black cats living in my street and I love watching them in my garden. Unfortunately my neighbours don't feel the same way about any animal that 'trespasses' in their garden.

nanna8 Fri 16-Apr-21 02:52:42

I love black cats,too. It is interesting that here in Australia they are considered bad luck if one crosses your path but in the UK they are good luck. Weird.

CanadianGran Fri 16-Apr-21 04:07:13

All the black cats here are gorgeous! My friend recently adopted two black kitties from the same litter, Lucky and Charm. I think they are very regal looking, and for some reason their eye colour really pops on a black cat.

We had a black long-haired growing up, and a black and white. When I look at photos of my mother growing up, she always had a long-haired cat on her lap, black and white. Obviously a trend for her.

We don't have a cat now, but I do love them and enjoy seeing all your photos. Nothing as luxurious as a cat splayed out basking in the sun!

Puzzler61 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:42:11

Here’s our black cat - the longest living cat I’ve had. She lived until she reached her 21 st birthday.
Photo not too good as it’s a photo-of-a-photo in a frame.

Savvy Sat 17-Apr-21 11:35:55

Puzzler61 oh just look at those gorgeous big eyes! She had a long life too, the oldest cat I had was 19.

henetha Sat 17-Apr-21 11:40:40

My first cat ever, when I was a child, was a beautiful black cat called Jimmy. Sadly he was run over by a lorry. I cried buckets.

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:48:56

My baby. Not black but kind of half way there

starstella Sat 17-Apr-21 12:04:55

MY BLACK CAT BEAUTY WAS LOVED BY EVERYONE SHE USED TO SIT ON THE FRONT WALL AND WOULD [TALK ]TO ANYONE,SADLY SHE GOT HIT BY A CAR.MY LAST CAT WAS A TABBY THE SWEETEST LITTLE CAT EVER.SHE TOO GOT HIT BY A CAR AND AFTER OWNING CATS FOR OVER 50 YEARS SHE IS MY LAST.I CRIED FOR WEEKS AND I WILL NEVER PUT MYSELF THROUGH THAT AGAIN.ON THE PLUS SIDE MY NEIGHBOUR IS HAVING TWO KITTENS THE START OF MAY SO I WILL BE ABLE TO SHARE.

Witzend Sat 17-Apr-21 12:14:26

I wasn’t aware of any prejudice in modern times - I know there was centuries ago, though, when they were associated with witches.

We had a black cat called Mew - found by young dds as a seriously emaciated kitten when we were living in the Middle East. With the help of the vet she somehow survived, and we later spent a bomb flying her home with us, plus 6 months in quarantine.
She emerged sleek and glossy - only to be run over just 2 months later.?
However she’d almost certainly used up her 9 lives already.

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 12:49:35

That’s the trouble with these lovely creatures, they don’t live that long. We had one who turned up starving on our doorstep and we kept him for 20 years. I cried buckets when he died in the middle of the lockdown, it was awful. The vet let me be with him as he died and I still feel tears thinking about it. We made a memorial garden for him. Our new boy is very, very feisty but gradually settling. He is a rescue cat, needless to say and if we have to take him to the vet for treatment we have to warn them he is coming so they can prepare ! That feisty. He has a wonderful character. I am so glad there are some cat people here because only cat lovers understand our love for them. ?‍⬛

Puzzler61 Sat 17-Apr-21 13:11:10

starstella I am so glad your neighbour is having 2 kittens that you can enjoy without the responsibility of owning them.
You clearly are a cat lover like us all on this Black Cat thread. ?‍⬛

Savvy Sat 17-Apr-21 14:08:16

My sister part owns a cat. The neighbours thought it belonged to her and she thought is belonged to the neighbours, lol.

PinkCakes Tue 01-Jun-21 21:08:26

What pretty kitties! They are gorgeous. Apparently, black cats are the most difficult to find homes for, according to RSPCA. That's because some (stupid) people consider them to be bad luck, and also that they're not so photogenic. Ridiculous and unfair.

I've had several black cats, over the years.

Nannytopsy Tue 01-Jun-21 23:33:37

We have had 2 tabbies, 2 gingers (still have one), 3 black and whites, a tortoiseshell and a blue but never had a black cat. DH says no more cats ...

Sparklefizz Wed 02-Jun-21 08:16:08

All cats are beautiful in my opinion.
I understand from the cat rescue place that black and white cats are also hard to home. What is wrong with people? These are my two lovelies - Archie and Phoebe.

henetha Wed 02-Jun-21 09:37:43

My first cat ever was black...Jimmy.
I keep dreaming about black cats lately for some reason.

Teebles64 Wed 23-Jun-21 22:02:11

I have had 2 black cats, Thomas lived a very happy 18 years in charge of the children. When he died he gave way to Sooty who ruled the roost for another 16 years. We no longer have a cat but are privileged to be GP's to DD's black cat Robert who frequently comes to stay for a few days if she is away.

PinkCakes Wed 23-Jun-21 22:25:31

What gorgeous cats! Over the years, I've had 4 black cats (got a tabby now). The RSPCA apparently finds it difficult to rehome black cats, as some fools consider them to be unlucky and even not so photogenic.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 07:58:19

Beautiful pusses in these photos. I hadn't realised there was any prejudice against them. A friend had a gorgeous one called Panther - because that's what she looked like.
Since the loss of our boy so recently we have our name down for a kitten due this week but we don't care what s/he might look like we just want another feline companion for us as the house is so empty without one. All cats are beautiful.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 24-Jun-21 08:10:32

I thought I had posted a photo of Milo, but obviously not! He is beautiful. His sister Ripley is a gorgeous tabby.

Dryginger Thu 24-Jun-21 08:38:51

Aveline

Beautiful pusses in these photos. I hadn't realised there was any prejudice against them. A friend had a gorgeous one called Panther - because that's what she looked like.
Since the loss of our boy so recently we have our name down for a kitten due this week but we don't care what s/he might look like we just want another feline companion for us as the house is so empty without one. All cats are beautiful.

Oh Aveline. Please post pics of your new kitty when you get he/she.
I love cats and wouldnt be without my boy Reggie who is black and white.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 08:43:23

I certainly hope to be posting pics of a new kitten. The litter is due later this week and there's no saying how it will go. Any new puss for us will have to stay with its Mum for weeks so we'll be without a furry chum for seems like ages. We've never been without at least one cat in 40+ years. Please keep posting cat photos so I can enjoy them vicariously!