Gransnet forums

Pets

Cocker spaniel waking up very early

(57 Posts)
anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 09:20:39

Can anyone offer any advice about how I can persuade my 18 month old cocker spaniel to sleep longer in the mornings.

He currently wakes up between 6 - 6.30 am every day and as we are a retired couple who can get up when we want, we are finding it difficult. He sleeps in a quiet dark bed under the stairs. I have a stair gate because I don't want him upstairs. I close the living room doors when we go to bed because he is still a bit of a chewer if left unsupervised and I dont trust him. It's quite a big hall though and he has water. He gets plenty of exercise during the day. He dozes on the sofa next to us in the evenings and he will slope off to his bed sometimes. I try and stop him so he sleeps longer through the night but it doesn't help. If we keep him awake in the evening he just sleeps more the next day but still wakes up very early

I've tried walking him later, feeding him later, blackout blinds to make where he sleeps darker, not feeding him when he first gets up . Nothing makes any difference. He does want to go outside when he wakes but I dont think he is desperate, He just scrabbles like mad at the gate and makes a huge fuss until one of us gets up with him. He has even managed to open the gate sometimes. He is a very determined little dog. He is then full of beans for 45 minutes or so and then collapses on the sofa and sleeps for a good couple of hours or longer.

Has anyone any suggestions please or do we just have to put up with it.

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-Apr-22 09:30:27

My son’s labrador is 10 months old. When he takes him into the garden for his bedtime wee he takes him on the lead. That way there’s no playing round the garden, looking for toys etc leaving you unsure if he’s actually performed. The dog usually wees within 10 seconds then back into the house and straight to bed.

anna7 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:43:13

I'll try both the lead and the torch.?

dissillusioned2022 Tue 09-Aug-22 05:56:53

My bulloxer (aged 10) goes out for her last wee at about 9pm (when I go to bed) and needs to go out a about 3.30am. I feed her and then we go back to bed. She would then sleep until about 10.00am. Not ideal, I know. I am a pensioner and can fit in a doze during the day if need be.

MawtheMerrier Tue 09-Aug-22 08:31:47

I don’t mind if the dog wants out at 6 or 6.30, I make myself a mug of tea and take it back to bed.
If your dog goes out for a wee, just leave him downstairs (not the living room, but wherever his bed is) as at least there will be no “accidents”.
The light mornings won’t be helping, but if he has a short bedtime walk -pee and a poo- followed by a Lilys Kitchen bedtime biscuit (Rosie has three!) he should be OK for 8 hours.
Otherwise, bite the bullet and enjoy your tea in bed!
It could be worse - like this!

anna7 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:55:40

I posted this thread in April and since then things have really improved. We took our dog on holiday with us in June and it seemed to break the cycle of early morning waking. He had to sleep at the bottom of the bed whilst we were away (we were in a caravan) and it seemed to settle him. He didn't wake up until we did at about 7.30. Since we got home he's been the same. I removed the stair gate so he could come upstairs and although if I don't shut the bedroom door properly he will come in and sleep with us when it gets light, about 5or 6am, he usually settles outside the bedroom door and goes back to sleep. I feel a bit mean not letting him in but I don't want him sleeping with us permanently. I'm a really light sleeper and he disturbs me with his scratching and snoring.

Thanks to everyone for your comments flowers

Daisymae Tue 09-Aug-22 10:05:22

That's an interesting update. Exactly what happened to us, had to have the dog with us when we were away and basically she got up when we did. We've stuck with it as it's so much better than the 5 o'clock wake up call we used to get. Glad that things have settled down for you all.