Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

NOW CLOSED: YouView feedback thread: Non Testers: share the TV programme you'd love to rewind, watch again or pause for a chance to win a £100 JL voucher

(146 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-13 11:22:06

Hello,

This is the feedback thread for the 20 testers who have received a new YouView TV box and who are currently trying it out in their homes.

YouView say "YouView is a subscription-free television service which seamlessly combines live and catch-up television. The service offers over 70 free to air channels and radio stations via a TV aerial and also connects to any broadband service to bring catch-up and on demand programmes directly to your TV. The TV service, which launched in July 2012, is backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva"

The YouView box allows you to record, pause and rewind TV, as well as featuring BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5.

We'll be asking you to add feedback twice - we'd like your first impressions now and in a couple of weeks we will add some more questions.

So, in terms of your first impressions. please....

- Give your overall impression when it arrived
- Describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you/your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?
- Tell us which TV is it on/in which room
- Share what you/your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with

If you're not a tester, YouView would love to hear from you - for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher please share on this thread the programme(s) you'd love to pause, record or watch again - this could be a programme that's on now, or something special from the last few years or even something from your childhood - the programme which is really special to you and/or your family. Maybe you were on TV as a child and would like to see it again or you want to relive an Olympic moment or even maybe your a massive Corrie fan and want to never miss an episode! Please share this on the thread and you'll be entered into the prize draw.

Thanks,

GNHQ

Please note: The final questions have now been added to the thread on Tues 2 April at 11:31

lillndill Tue 12-Mar-13 11:53:23

I'd love to see Twin Peaks again, it fascinated me trying to work it out lol

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-13 12:09:50

We record music TV programmes from 'our' era, jazz concerts and country music concerts to play back when there is nothing else on. When our old SKY system was replaced with an HD system, we lost one of the best 60 & 70s soul compilation ever. sad

vampirequeen Tue 12-Mar-13 12:13:35

I was incredibly excited when it arrived. All the bits in the boxes looked complicated and I didn't really understand what the extra plugs were for....I'm not very technical lol.

- Describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you/your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?
I was going to wait for DH to come home from work to set it up but I was over excited and decided to have a go. I couldn't believe how easy it was. The diagrams are large and show exactly the shape of the cable end and socket they fit into. The instructions are really simple and easy to follow. Basically ....take the hdmi cable (which looks like this illustration) and plug it into this socket at the back of the youview player (another clear illustration) and into the socket marked hdmi 1 on the back of the TV. All the instructions were that clear. After it's switched on you just follow the instructions on the TV screen. Again really clear and easy to follow. Believe me if I can do it anyone can.

It's on our only TV which is in the living room.

- Share what you/your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with
It's absolutely amazing. I love being able to access the iplayers and the catch up part is brilliant. I'm terrible for falling asleep in programmes I want to watch. This way I can finish watching them when I'm awake lol. The other thing we really like is the green button for future recording. It means that if you see an advert for a programme you fancy watching but, if you're like me, you forget about it as soon as the advert has finished just by pressing the green button you can preset the machine to record it when it comes on in the future. There is so much I love about this machine that I could go on forever and that's not like me because generally I'm the last to bother with new technology as it's usually too much hassle.

janthea Tue 12-Mar-13 12:31:57

I think I would record the Red Nose day programme so I could rewind and listen to the stories again. Also useful to pause to go and make a cup of tea without missing any of the brilliant acts.

Gorki Tue 12-Mar-13 13:31:26

I would love to see last year's Children in Need again.My cousin's niece who died of cancer soon afterwards was on with her family.I only caught half of it as I didn't know she was going to be on but it would be lovely to see her again.

katesheilaskate Tue 12-Mar-13 14:10:58

I would love to see Tenko again - it was the highlight of my week in the mid 1980s and has some great actors in it

gillybob Tue 12-Mar-13 14:35:31

Give your overall impression when it arrived

I was so excited when it arrived. I couldn't wait to "have a go"

Describe the set up: did you set up your YouView box yourself? If not, who did? How easy did you/your DH/DP etc find it to set up your YouView box?

I was visiting my elderly parents the day it arrived and was thrilled to find that my DH had begun to set it up for me when I arrived home that evening. It was wonderfully easy to install as the instructions were very clear and the diagrams excellent, showing pictures of each cable and socket.Once it is all plugged in it was simply a matter of following the on screen set up instructions which were a piece of cake!

Tell us which TV is it on/in which room

It is set up on our main TV in the family room which is the most used room in the house. This room is dining room, sitting room and play room all rolled into one.

Share what you/your family think the first couple of times you used it - what was the best feature and what, if anything, have you struggled with

I can honestly say that this box is wonderful. I absolutely love it and would highly recommend it to anyone. We cannot get cable TV in our area and Sky is just too expensive. For me there are no "best features" as all of the features are great. The grandchildren love the itv player and BBC i player features and the fact that they can watch back to back Peppa Pig or Fireman Sam is definitely a big hit. I love the pause facility which means that you don't miss that crucial bit in the middle of a drama while you pop the kettle on. I have also recorded a film to watch later which is quite a novelty in my house with so many comings and goings it is always hard to sit down and watch something when it is actually scheduled. I love this box so much and have recommended it to several friends and my daughter who is hinting very strongly to have one for her house too. grin

glammanana Tue 12-Mar-13 15:08:56

I would like to have on permanent replay the scene when "Del Boy" falls behind the lift up hatch in "Only Fools & Horse's" an absolute classic which raises laugh's every time it is watched.

Deedaa Tue 12-Mar-13 16:35:35

I would love to share the classic "Quatermass and the Pit" Must have been end of the 50's or VERY early 60's, grainy black & white, but I saw it again a few years ago and it is still classic Sci Fi. The scene where they break into the sealed compartment still made me jump!

Anne58 Tue 12-Mar-13 16:46:45

"The Box of Delights* brings back many memories. I used to watch each episode with DS1. It was on each week in the run up to Christmas when he was small.

I managed to get it on video and watched again with Jack (DS2) when he was the right age, and again we saved it for the just about pre Christmas period. I don't have it anymore, I think it went the way of many things when exdh and I parted.

Galen Tue 12-Mar-13 17:03:41

I'd like to see the 'Muffin the Mule ' series so that I could share a simple children's programme with my DGD.

catmiaow Tue 12-Mar-13 17:53:32

I love Revenge so much, I love to watch the action again and again.

annodomini Tue 12-Mar-13 18:32:15

Mash, for me, was the best sitcom ever. It was hilariously funny but still managed to convey its anti-war message. It was so sad when it had to end and I would love to be able to see all the episodes again. Even now, Alan Alda is the celebrity I would most like to meet.

grandmac Tue 12-Mar-13 20:10:47

I was a bit worried as the brown paper wrapping was torn but the bubble wrap was all intact. I was sooo excited!! Didn't know what the 2 extra 'plugs' were for, but all became clear once I read the instructions. (I didn't need them)

The set up was extremely easy, accomplished in minutes. Diagrams, pictures and instructions of what goes where are clear and easy to follow. Once connected you just follow the on screen instructions. Simples! smile

On the only television in the house, which is in the living room.

So many features! I just love it all. So far I have used programme reminder, record, future record, pause live programme, rewind live programme, watched BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 all of which functions worked perfectly, seamlessly and easily. I am delighted with this 'magic box' and am recommending it to everyone. No problems and nothing has been difficult.

Thank you Gransnet!

Diane1301 Wed 13-Mar-13 22:14:19

My favourite is Downton Abbey and more specifically Dame Maggie Smith as the Countess of Grantham, her one liners are classics and she steals the scene. definitely the creme de la creme in my eyes

preety18 Wed 13-Mar-13 23:47:44

Would love to record the Octonauts special on Cbeebies which is currently aired all week this week as my DD2 is in it dancing. It would be so nice as we keep missing some of the episodes due to the time schedule.

Jadey Thu 14-Mar-13 23:40:26

I would love to be able to watch Only Fools and Horses when ever I wanted to, which is usually in the top 5 most watched comedy's.

Being able to pause is always a good thing due to times when you are watching programmes and you are interupted

Also being able to watch classic TV when ever you wanted to would be brill.

Jadey Thu 14-Mar-13 23:44:29

ps I quite like documentries and real life TV

JennyB Fri 15-Mar-13 10:11:43

I would like to watch House of Cards again, have recently watched the american version with Kevin Spacey on Netflicks. Although it was very good, I preferred the English version.

riodaze Sat 16-Mar-13 17:15:50

yes would be good to see again, BUT as I am now DEAF I definitely would need SUBTITLES which probably would not be on the older films.

stewaris Sun 17-Mar-13 06:59:47

Sad though it is, I would watch Doctor Who from the very first episode back in the 60's - showing my age here. I was simultaneously terrified by it and so addicted I couldn't stop watching it. I remember on several occasions watching a full episode hidden behind the sofa with only my eyes showing. Wonder if I'd still find it so scary!

Ikea1234 Sun 17-Mar-13 07:17:43

We all wanted to watch David Walliams Mr Stink over Christmas, but went on holiday and forgot to record it......one disappointed grandson! I also wish I could go back and watch Downton Abbey from the beginning, as we didn't start to watch it and now bitterly regret it!

mrspea Sun 17-Mar-13 07:25:41

Call the Midwife really took me back to life in the 1950's. Such an enthralling, heart warming series that I would love to be able to watch over and over again.

Andreama1 Sun 17-Mar-13 07:30:51

I would love to watch the last series of dr who!