Gransnet forums

Relationships

Worried about adult son's relationship

(57 Posts)
Pigeon Mon 30-Apr-12 08:33:14

How do you stop worrying about your children? My 30 year old son is in a relatively new relationship with a really nice girl who I've met (accidentaly) on a couple of occasions.
She was with someone else when they met but they both fell hook, line and sinker for each other and she ended it to be with him. I have never seen him so happy and was so pleased to think he might settle down with her after being on his own for a couple of years. They both have pressures at the moment (work, money, studying etc) and she is quite a highly strung person. this weekend, after avoiding him all weekshe told him that she feels pressured and "needs some space". He is devasted as she had led him to believe the was "the one" but now he thinks she wants to end it.

Yeterday I spent time trying to reassure him that he would cope whatever the outcome but when I came home later on, I felt drained and full of anxiety - as if it was my relationship about to end! What is the matter with me? I seem to be unable to cope with problems these days? I think in my quest to see him happy and settled, it has almost become an obsession! I just feel so disappointed it may not work out for him.

This morning I am giving myself a good 'talking-to' as I don't think my reaction is healthy! Worrying is one thing, getting all worked up about something that happens to millions of people every day is another thing completely. I will blame the hormones (or lack of them) as although i admit to being a bit of a worrier, I'm sure I'm getting worse!

Annobel Tue 07-Aug-12 18:15:20

You can find out about his rights on this web site or visit your local CAB.

www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/faq_index_family/faq_family_access_to_children_after_separation_not_married.htm

nightowl Tue 07-Aug-12 18:17:26

Wiz if your son is named on the birth certificate he has parental responsibility and completely equal rights to the mother. The law changed in that respect for babies born after 1st December 2003. Your son needs to seek legal advice quickly so that he is able to maintain his contact and not allow things to drift. He has every right to apply for a residence order if he feels the baby is at risk, or even if he thinks he could offer better care.

Good luck flowers

nightowl Tue 07-Aug-12 18:18:39

Oops sorry Annobel the curse of close timing again!!

Wiz Tue 07-Aug-12 19:18:19

Thanks all the info is very useful.

PetreaMarinescu Mon 27-Sep-21 09:11:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 09:18:44

Reported