Gransnet forums

Relationships

How can you improve your relationship?

(58 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Mar-13 08:11:16

Relationships can spiral downwards; they can sometimes also spiral upwards with a bit of tlc. With Relate, who have given us their relationship checker, we're looking to come up with a 12-step programme (OK, maybe 6-step programme) for looking after your relationship.

If you could offer one bit of advice for something to do this week to make your relationship sunnier, what would it be?

And next week? (phew, exhausted already)

ps Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:34

Hunt - you are truly blessed and obviously deserving. Congratulations and may you both enjoy many many more years in each others company.

Mishap Mon 01-Apr-13 12:54:00

gramps - I am sorry your PD has been playing up - OH too has had problems recently. The slightest hint of a cold or any other bug seems to makes things much worse. I hope that pain relief will be forthcoming for you. It can be very debilitating. Don't give up!

gramps Tue 02-Apr-13 23:44:07

Hi mishap,
thanks for your thoughts. I am currently waiting a letter to see the Anesthetist. Hopefully not too long after that before they can see to my back.
I seem to have no enthusiasm for anything lately, I can't stay for long on any of the forums, why I have not been around much.
I hope that your OH feels better soon. There's not a great deal you can do for anybody with PD exactly but be there for them. I feel it's worse for the carer of them than for the" PD patients. It's a bit disconcerting sometimes people say to help you " get well soon"
I've replied that we don't get over this one! So many other folks could say the same thing!

I've not been on Lil's bar lately, but miss them all.
We just have to accept that we have an incurable condition, accept it, and come to terms with it. A most important thing is to stay positive!!

FlicketyB Wed 03-Apr-13 08:17:53

Last week I read an article that said that the three key things for a relationship to work are Lust, Laughter and Loyalty.

Glammy Thu 11-Apr-13 16:14:04

Assume life is mainly positive. Never take each other for granted, we all want to feel we matter. 40 years next Feb and still not sure what makes him tick, exciting trying to work it out.

petitpois Wed 24-Apr-13 16:17:34

I think what BoomerBabe is trying to say is that a physical relationship is very important and if you don't keep at it - so to speak! - things can just fizzle out... Being friends is obviously important too. We've had times where we didn't get naked for some time, and this was in retrospect, a time our relationship that did feel particularly rocky - as a result or cause I don't know...?

jeanie99 Fri 03-May-13 00:07:41

The one thing I have learned after being married for many years is that you cannot change another person only yourself and how you react to a situation.

When you understand this it makes life so much easier.