Gransnet forums

Relationships

Fathers for Justice

(36 Posts)
Maniac Sat 15-Jun-13 15:25:42

I can understand the despair of the father who painted 'Help' on the Queen's portrait.
What outrageous actions might you consider to obtain contact with your children/grandchildren?

grannyactivist Wed 26-Jun-13 15:13:48

My son in law fought like a lion to maintain contact with his daughter from his first marriage - going back to court again and again and again, until eventually his ex realised that he was never going to give up and she finally started to comply with the many court orders against her. Then my own daughter did the same thing to him some years later and estranged herself and the children from her husband (and also from her own family). Thankfully he battled through the courts again and now has some limited contact with the children. I have nothing but admiration for his tenacity. There were many times that he considered taking outrageous action, but he wanted to remain within the bounds of the law and I'm so glad that it eventually paid off for him. The lengths some fathers go to in order to maintain contact are impressive, but I think that unlawful actions are self-defeating in the long run.

petallus Wed 26-Jun-13 16:53:00

There are many decent men out there who are being denied contact with their children by their ex for no good reason.

But it is also true that some men are relentless in their quest to get regular contact with their children as a way of continuing to exert control over their ex partner.

petallus Wed 26-Jun-13 16:54:28

I remember some years ago when a particular individual from Fathers for Justice was in the news over custody of a child with a new partner. His previous ex was bemused, saying she would be happy for him to have regular contact with his children from their relationship, but he never bothered!

Aka Wed 26-Jun-13 17:01:52

So many sad stories on this thread sad. As Petallus says, there are decent men who are denied contact and violent, controlling men who should never be allowed back into their children's lives.

Maniac Wed 26-Jun-13 22:08:56

grannyactivistSo glad to hear of the tenacity and persistence of your SIL in working for contact with his children and that he eventually got a result.Pass on my admiration.
He should write a report -or even a book- about his journey.Many desperate fathers might benefit from his experiences .It must have been very stressful -and expensive!

grannyactivist Wed 26-Jun-13 23:53:04

Sadly Maniac one of the conditions of my son in law's contact with the children is that he has no contact with my daughter's family: i.e. me, her siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents.

Minty Thu 27-Jun-13 09:26:18

Some of you might possibly find these helpful,
www.matchmothers.org
www.mothers4justice.co.uk

Maniac Thu 27-Jun-13 11:48:43

grannyactivist That is outrageously vindictive and so sad for the father,for you and your family and even more for the children who are being deprived of such a lovely grandma as yourself.
Have you seen the website www.kidsinthemiddle.com a campaign being run by a gp of teenage children. The children should have a voice .
Love to you and your family

dorsetpennt Thu 27-Jun-13 12:05:24

I can understand their despair although not always their methods. My ex husband had a terrible time with his first wife as regards access to his 2 daughters. His ex also threatened to withdraw visiting rights of their paternal grandmother if she allowed me to visit her. [I was not the reason for the divorce by the way]. Gifts sent by us were re-labelled, gifts from their paternal grandmother not thanked, visits by my ex suddenly cancelled at literally the last minute. She used those 2 girls as weapons for many years. When we were finally able to see them together their oldest daughter inadvertently told us all about the gifts sent from us and had been told we never sent her anything.
So when he left me I made sure that he had full contact with our children.

celebgran Fri 28-Jun-13 09:08:32

Is horrid I suppose there must be cases where fathers are violent etc but think those types would not want bother kids.

My friends son emigrated to nz because he was broken by his ex moving up north with man she met online and stopping all contact with his 3 sons. He went to court but she got oldest to say he did not want see his dad! My friend can't see her grandsons either so very sad!

I am so glad my little granddaughter saw me bring presents round at Xmas but what my daugher tells her can't imagine.

We posted next voucher for her 5th birthday never returns gifts but doubt she tells her from us no thanks ever. Her godparents have not stopped sending as she used to thank them now stopped.

My niece is wicked as her ex cared for thos little girls every other weekend since their birth while she worked and is in bits now. Sadly she told so many lies that wonder if he will get contact. The woman is believed it seems.