Gransnet forums

Relationships

My dil...

(107 Posts)
minimo Thu 19-Jan-17 14:27:52

Keeps commenting on my weight blush. She's not openly rude about it, and she's not a mean person so I know it's not coming from a bad place. It started off as being amusing and now has become really annoying! She'll give me the (noticeably) smallest slice of cake. Or make a point of having salads for lunch when we come over. The bread is placed on the other side of the table and when I ask for it to be passed to me she'll be all charming but pointedly ask me if I think that's really such a good idea? I'm overweight, admittedly, I enjoy my food. But I'm nowhere near obese and my doctor has never cautioned me or told me to lose weight. I'm a happy (if slightly heavy) woman. I don't really now how to bring this up with her without things becoming really uncomfortable.

Jomarie Thu 19-Jan-17 15:00:18

I think that in your shoes I would be inclined to smile very sweetly and assure her that you are old enough now to make your own choices and that if and when your doctor advises you to lose weight for health reasons then she can be assured that you will ask her advice on how to do so. Smiling sweetly all the time should keep it civilised. smile

aggie Thu 19-Jan-17 15:18:16

What about doing the opposite when she visits you ? Pile her plate and tell her sweetly to keep her strength up

grannylyn65 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:22:31

Good answer Jomarie!

Ana Thu 19-Jan-17 15:24:54

I think she's actually being very rude! Yes, Jomarie's suggestion is a good one.

RedheadedMommy Thu 19-Jan-17 15:56:35

'The bread is placed on the other side of the table and when I ask for it to be passed to me she'll be all charming but pointedly ask me if I think that's really such a good idea?'

shock thats SO rude!

Tell her you're an adult and pretty sure you can eat carbs so no need to worry. If you were morbidly obese, or it effected your health and relied on them for help then i could see her worry.

And take your own bread next time, a nuce big crusty loaf grin

grannypiper Thu 19-Jan-17 15:58:59

How bloody rude. It seems that these days the only people that are game is the overweight, try making a joke about an anorexic and all hell will break loose, try jokes about someones religion, sexual orientation, colour or country of origin and the "outraged" and "disgusted" hand wringers of this world will pull you to bits, calling you every name under the sun but if you are chubby then according to the "outraged thats just fine

Christinefrance Thu 19-Jan-17 16:05:42

I think she is being rude too and patronising. You make your own choices so tell her to get off her pedestal and let you worry about your weight when it's necessary.
Jomarie has the right idea.cupcake

merlotgran Thu 19-Jan-17 16:11:13

If she asked me if having a slice of bread was a Good Idea I'd be tempted to say, 'Why, did you make it yourself?'

Store up a few cutting comments. To hell with putting up with her rudeness. She needs to realise she's making you feel uncomfortable.

KatyK Thu 19-Jan-17 16:55:50

Cheek!

Antonia Thu 19-Jan-17 17:20:17

Gosh, I would be SO insulted by that! I must admit, my DS (who goes to the gym every day) keeps giving me hints as to how I could lose weight and I'm sure she means it kindly but it does niggle me a bit.

Grannyben Thu 19-Jan-17 20:30:27

I can see that you don't want things to become uncomfortable so if any further comments are made I would just reply "why, is there something wrong?" She is going to either have to explain her comments or back down

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jan-17 20:42:03

I wouldn't dream of passing comment about someone's weight!
Very insensitive, to say the least!

cornergran Thu 19-Jan-17 21:34:50

I guess you don't want to upset your daughter in law but she is upsetting you. I agree with others, you need to object to the comments, but quietly and with humour if you can manage it.

Araabra Fri 20-Jan-17 00:24:56

"I'd really love some bread, it does look like a really good idea, thanks for asking."

Luckylegs9 Fri 20-Jan-17 06:51:04

Grannyben has the answer in think.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Jan-17 07:01:51

You are being kind but she is being extremely rude I think the answers you have been given are good ones (I doubt I d have been so diplomatic I m afraid )

Rigby46 Fri 20-Jan-17 07:49:46

How often do you have lunch/ eat at her house? Can't you just be the grown up here and ignore the comments? You say she's not mean and it's not coming from a bad place. I am tempted to ask you how overweight you are and if her behaviour has changed recently in response to any recent weight gain by you. Just let it go - it the great scheme of dil relationship problems, this is a non starter.
grannypiper where on earth did all that come from?

Riverwalk Fri 20-Jan-17 07:58:27

There are often threads seeking advice about how to tackle a problem e.g. a friend who smells, has a dirty house, unkempt children, heavy smoker, etc. The general view is to be kind and try to drop hints, such as 'would you like me to help you tidy-up', or other such less than subtle hints grin

You say you're only 'slightly heavy' - are you perhaps kidding yourself and DIL is trying to be helpful?

Mumsy Fri 20-Jan-17 08:17:53

having someone belittling you about your weight is not at all helpful ! Perhaps your dil doesnt realise how hurtful her comment are. I think you should have a quiet word with your dil and tell her that her comments about your weight are hurtful and ask her to keep them to herself.

f77ms Fri 20-Jan-17 08:43:50

I would not let it go , why should you ? it is rude and condescending . I like merlograns answer or grannybens if you would like an explanation ! It is easy for the younger generation to think that they have all the answers and will never be a bit overweight themselves . I am heavier than I used to be but it is not to do with what I eat , more to do with health problems , the natural slowing of metabolic rate , inability to excersise enough to make a difference and medication .

Rigby46 Fri 20-Jan-17 08:50:24

OP does she make direct comments or is more oblique plus the bread out of reach actions etc?

sunseeker Fri 20-Jan-17 08:58:44

We are all so concerned about not upsetting anyone that we overlook the fact that our own feelings are being hurt. If you are on good terms with her could you not have a quiet word with her and explain that whilst you appreciate she doesn't intend to be hurtful nevertheless her remarks are upsetting you.

radicalnan Fri 20-Jan-17 09:57:58

She is being rude. I am a porker and that is my business!!!

To invite someone for a meal and take pride in strategically placing some of the food out of reach is vile behaviour.

When she comes round to your home, don't feed her at all and have 2 bags of Malteesers to celebrate when she goes home.

We are obsessed by obesity in very unhealthy ways,just as we are with smoking, both potentially bad for us, nonetheless out own business as long as other are not affected.

This controlling aspect of young women is far more sinister and damaging to other people than a few pies or fags is.

I would tell her to bugger off with her good advice.

Neversaydie Fri 20-Jan-17 10:02:32

My elder daughter has put on a lot of weight and I tend to do the same as your DIL I'm afraid minimo though I try to restrain myself it's prompted by concerns for her health . (Its not like I'm sylphlike and she has inherited my body type)
Dare one ask how overweight you actually are ?I have recently lost 20lbs .I need to lose another 3 to get to a healthy BMI so obviously wasn't obese .I have an underactive thyroid which slows my metabolism and arthritic knees which can make exercise a challenge .I've done it slowly over 9 months, prompted by a raised cholesterol level and the premature death of my only sibling which has made my younger daughter (health service professional)very anxious about health of DH and myself. (And indeed her sister)While I agree its not your DIL place and she's not going about it very tactfully perhaps she is genuinely concerned about your weight ?Would you accept what she says from a daughter?