Gransnet forums

Relationships

I miss the man I married

(53 Posts)
Silverlining47 Fri 20-Jan-17 15:53:43

Some time ago I wrote to GN as I was finding my loving husband's recent behaviour very confusing. I received good advice and asked him to explain, as well as he could, what was happening. He said he had been very depressed for more than a year and from being happy, positive and loving he had become distant, anxious and only wanted to spend time on his own.
It was good to bring it into the open. He agreed to see a psychiatrist and a counsellor which he was able to arrange privately but eventually discontinued visits which were very expensive and he didn't feel helped him.
We hear a lot about mental health issues but until it comes into your own life you don't realise how far reaching the effects are on those nearest.
His personality has changed. He is not the person I married 12 years ago and we relate to each other very differently now. I miss the man I married. Occassionally the 'old' husband reappears and I know how much I love him again. We manage but I think we are both lonely in different ways and both sad for each other.
Other people have to cope with this and with dementia in a partner and I would be pleased to hear their thoughts.

Starlady Sun 22-Jan-17 14:40:22

(((Hugs))) Silverlining. So sorry to hear about this.

I'm going to join in with others who say dh needs to try another counselor - or 2 or 3 - before he gives up on counseling. Before that, though, he also needs a complete physical to rule out any physical causes.

"His personality has changed. He is not the person I married 12 years ago and we relate to each other very differently now. I miss the man I married. Occassionally the 'old' husband reappears and I know how much I love him again. We manage but I think we are both lonely in different ways and both sad for each other"

If he absolutely refuses to seek further help or if it doesn't work out, perhaps a trial separation is in order? My words may sting, but maybe you would both be happier on your own or with someone else? Forgiven me if it hurts to hear that. I'm just thinking of your happiness - and his.

grannybuy Sun 22-Jan-17 22:29:57

My DH has PD and the changing personalities are very difficult to deal with. We are really struggling at the moment. There are 3 phases most days, - querulous and fearful due to physical discomfort and anxiety, angry and over assertive and then, for a short time, a glimpse of who he used to be. It's a lonely life, living with someone who has an illness that causes them to be focused almost entirely on themselves, through no fault of their own. As the original poster said, the person you married has disappeared. I think you have to 'compartmentalise'. You have to be there for your other half, but keep some doors open and have some life of your own. This becomes more difficult, sadly, in some cases, as illness progresses. I can't stay out by myself for too long now, and holidays could well be a thing of the past. I try to concentrate on what I do have. I'd rather it was one of us that had the problems, than our DC or DGC.