Gransnet forums

Relationships

Lazy husband......

(80 Posts)
MesMopTop Wed 22-Nov-17 02:27:42

Probably done to death but just need to vent or else I might just be up for murder! I work full time shift work, DH does not work. He does have quite a few health issues but can still walk, talk and do things., The house is a bloody tip. I'm cleaning kitchen and scrubbing cupboard doors and over it pops. "Is there anything you want me to do?" Says he. I shall not write my thoughts here, too incriminating ? I hate clothes draped over chairs, so after 3 days I hung up his good trousers. Again, over it pops. "Have you seen my trousers?" Yes. "What did you do with them?" I hung them up. Get this, "Where did you hang them up?" In the bloody fridge you twit ??. I can give him a list of things I want done, no problem, he'll do it or I'll ask him to do something and it will get done. However, no instructions, nothing done. Parks his bum on the sofa and wstches TV, he's there right now.,I never knew someone could love a TV so much. Once I "accidently" took the remotes to work. Haha, I swear he had withdrawal symptoms. Well sweetie, enjoy your programme because you're about to get hit with a request to please clean the bathroom......, He is a lovely DH really, no real issues apart from the fact why does he need to be told what needs doing? All the time? Rubber gloves sweetheart ? ???

Ski43 Wed 22-Nov-17 05:06:25

This made me laugh.He sounds so much like my DH.Keep the lists going on a daily basis,and grit your teeth. I often wonder how my DH doesn’t get bored with all the tv as it drives me crazy. Like you I clear away and then,he waits until I am in bed settled for the night and will come in put on the lights and ask if I have seen his belt ,trousers jumper etc, and he can’t grasp why I am not a happy and helpful;He has had all day to sort this out .Are you allowed to think murderous thoughts lol.grin

tiredoldwoman Wed 22-Nov-17 05:15:02

Your house sounds like fun - tell us more . You made me laugh this morning !

suzied Wed 22-Nov-17 06:08:29

Get one of those whiteboards you can put in the kitchen and write a list of the chores that need doing daily. He can tick them off when done. Or you could get a little star chart and give him a gold star when each job done. You are obviously trying to treat this irritation with some humour, so keep on at him!

MesMopTop Wed 22-Nov-17 06:36:21

Haha, I'm pleased he makes someone laugh! Do you remember that programme with Frank Spencer called Some mothers do have them? Well, I thought no such petdon existed, until DH came along that is. I really could tell you some stories indeed. Like him and his lovely large dog, who is very sweet, and just like his poppa. Clueless. These two were made for each other, I swear. This boy is definately a daddies dog. He is supposed to be a big, strong and dominant breed. It will cry when poppa has to leave him, sleeps on the bed as I always find him laying beside poppa when I get home from work. His poor derrière is too soft to sit on the floor. He likes the sofa. I usually cook mince and veg for said dog. On more than a few occasions, I have come home to find dog has either eaten poppa's tea or poppa has eaten dogs tea. If you don't know which of you I've cooked for, ask! Some details I will omit, a bit outing. Most of us drive, yes? And we know what our cars run on, yes again? Well, not our 'Frank". Let's just put petrol into the diesel car and drive home. Oops, we've broken down, haven't we. Right, huge kerfuffle and a tow truck later. Hooray, we're mobile again. Lesson learned, or was it! Yep, you guessed correctly. We obviously had so much fun the last time, we thought we'd do it all again a couple of months later. Car now completely gubbed., He is an expert seaman and anything to do with driving a boat is like breathing to him. Could turn a boat on a sixpence. But not a car it seems. At the petrol station, let's just reverse into great big petrol station signpost thingy. He enjoyed paying for that one. Being a sailor, he can tie any kind of knot you could think of. I had some tomato plants and some stakes. Please would you just pop these stakes into the pot to give my tomato plants some support. Support? He had them hog tied and tied up like hostages. Sweet Jesus and all the orphans, it looked liked scaffolding ??? also, there is a reason for following instructions on the laundry liquid bottle. Half s cap does not equal half a cup, because that much could never clean a load of dirty clothes. Took pity on him and gave him vinegar to help get rid of some of the suds. I don't know why, maybe domeone out there can tell me. Why are towels hung sideways on the rotary drier instead of, like most people, longways. He is banned comety from touching my undies but one time he thought he'd help by washing them. No problem, but I do not wish to see rows of my knickers and bras pegged up like bunting on the outside of the rotary drier for everyone else to see and enjoy. I really could go on and on, but probably bored you enough already. I now understand why married men live longer than single men and why single women live longer than married women ? I hope you all have wonderful day and to any other Mrs Spencers out there, I truly do understand ?

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 06:38:14

You know what, the fact he does the chores willingly when told what to do, says it all Some men do need a whole list of instructions ....... so keep going with the pen and paper my ex was never around, to ask to do anything he would be anywhere but home
Great post and made me smile I love Suzied idea of a star chart maybe add a naughty step if he doesn’t do them
He sounds a kind and sweet man

Luckylegs9 Wed 22-Nov-17 06:45:05

The star chart sounds fun! I wonder what would happen if the remote went missing on evening? He does want to help, that's a big plus.

vampirequeen Wed 22-Nov-17 06:52:50

Is he lazy or just confused? Men of a certain age were brought up to go to work and the home was another planet run by women. Does he genuinely not know what needs doing and how to do it? We run homes almost by second nature because most of us were brought up to see it as our job. We know there are many jobs and prioritise accordingly which means things get done. Perhaps he can't see the wood for the trees.

Willow500 Wed 22-Nov-17 07:33:28

Haha that has made me laugh this morning! My husband is either lazy or bored - I can't tell which but some things he does drive me mad. Clearing the table when I've not finished eating, rinsing the cloth under the tap to wipe said table and worktops and anything else in range rather than filling sink with soapy water. He'll then say I'm in the way aren't I and disappear to the tv. Leaving his coat over the back of the dining chair instead of hanging it up every night. Grumbling about any job I mention might need doing and finally doing it with bad grace and lots of sweating but he's got OCD so it has to be right. He has no idea how to use the washer, drier, dishwasher or the iron. In other words he's a typical man but he'd go to the ends of the earth for his family (and has done), has worked hard all his life to provide for us and wouldn't hesitate to give the shirt off his back if someone needed help. He's my rock, he makes me laugh nearly every day, always insists on driving if we go out and I'd be lost without him. Now I'd better go upstairs and pick his clothes up off the floor grin

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-17 08:04:36

Bless all these ‘ useless’ (meant in the nicest way) men It’s an inbuilt male thing I watch my grandson being ‘shown’ how to do things by his younger sister The best came one night when his friend was coming to stay His mum had bought him a futon and it needed to be put together before the nights sleep She left it to the two boys Well if you have seen them trying to sort it out, which way round, whether the screws went on the right or left in between joking, slapping each other, throwing bits of packaging around and scratching their heads They got in a right old muddle called on younger sister to help She looked at the diagram instructions told them to turn this bit that way these screws on the left those on the right Ten minutes later it was all organised and up The best bit is the friend is at college doing an engineering course

fiorentina51 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:59:02

Blimey! Watching telly at 2.30 in the morning? ?

Christinefrance Wed 22-Nov-17 09:00:35

Choose your battles Mesmoptop concentrate on the issue which concerns you most and talk it through with your husband and try to resolve things.
Sounds like you are getting stressed about this but can still see the funny side, there are lots of positives in your relationship I'm sure so don't let the other stuff take over.

DanniRae Wed 22-Nov-17 09:27:05

If he does all you want done if you give him a list - Well give him a list!
Sorry but if he's never going to think of doing things without you telling him then, to me, it seems the only way.
But I enjoyed reading your post - so keep posting and making us smile {smile]

W11girl Wed 22-Nov-17 10:12:16

Are you sure you didn't sneek in to my house and steal my husband! This is him all over. An intelligent and kind man, he really would give me his last rolo! BUT....he does nothing unless forced to!! Sometimes I'm scared to go out of the house for an afternoon in case I come back to devastation (untidiness etc). I don't think he knows where his clothes cupboard is!! I have tried many times to "alter" his ways but no joy! The only way round it for me is not being available when he wants us to go out together, I usually say "sorry got to do the household chores"...he sees the error of his ways and helps!! Fortunately he likes to go out a lot!!

Blinko Wed 22-Nov-17 10:12:25

In my experience, as mother of 2 DSs and as a long suffering DW (that's Dear Wife...) all three males need instructions. All very willing but not a clue as to what needs doing till you tell 'em. Both DiLs confirm that things haven't altered since they left home. Must be a male thing, just as knowing how to is clearly a female thing.

PS: I just wonder how trans males get on. Do they instantly get the hang of it? Thought not....

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:13:28

MesMopTop ha ha you have given me a good laugh!

I laughed when I read about the washing on the line - DH is very capable and does like to keep busy but has taken to 'hovering' and 'helping'. Sometimes I would like help but other times it just feels like 'interfering'.
The washing on the line syndrome: towels, jeans etc on the inside and knickers waving like flags on the outside sounds familiar grin
'If you wash up, darling, please could you not wash plastic boxes/glasses after the greasy pans because grease clings to plastic and leaves glass smeary'? Falls on deaf ears.
And getting home after a busy day out - 'I didn't get a meal because I didn't know what we were having'.
And the knots - he gets exasperated when I use a granny knot and shows me endless complicated seamen's knots! 'You were in the Girl Guides, what's wrong with you?' he asks!

Well, you will have to write a list of 'Daily Orders' and cooking instructions - ending with a couple of XX!

tonibolt Wed 22-Nov-17 10:31:57

Mine does nothing. He will happily pay for a cleaner, but won’t even put a plate in the dishwasher. I can deal with that, but his habit of accumulating piles of “stuff” all around his chair in the sitting room and the dining room drive me mad. We only use the dining room at Christmas and the huge pile of things he had to clear out of there last year are still sitting in two piles in his bedroom. Where he is going to put this years haul I have no idea!

Pinkshoes26 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:35:16

Oh yes, I know that feeling well. Give out instructions and they will be happy to go and do the task. Can's see were the cleaning / tidying needs doing them selfs.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:36:52

oh dear, we are both accumulating some 'stuff' around our chairs; I was thinking we have to have a tidy up before Christmas. My 'stuff' is useful, though, whereas his is just 'stuff'
And I can't see the dining room table, it is covered with craft work (mine) blush

anniemac43 Wed 22-Nov-17 10:42:29

BlueBelle, you’ve nailed it I think. It IS an ‘inbuilt male thing’ with many men. Hardwired into the male ststem since the days cavemen went out in silent groups to hunt and bring back the woolly mammoth or whatever to the womenfolk whose role was to keep the kids and old people happy inside the cave. Or wherever.
So women are much better at talking too. After many years of doing therapy, I’ve had endless couples where one complains ‘how am I supposed to just guess what you want? I’m not a mind reader!’ And that person is usually - you’ve guessed it - male. But the human race wouldn’t have survived without those dead woolly mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers! We’d have perished long ago.

Christinefrance Wed 22-Nov-17 10:44:13

In defence of husbands, mine will turn his hand to most things if needed. He does all the cooking and shopping, all the maintenance on our old house and recently did all the chores after I had an accident. Just to redress the balance a little.

Willow500 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:07:26

We moved our furniture round on Sunday in preparation for the invasion of family at Christmas and putting up the tree. The sofa I always sat on which is squashy and comfy is now in the place where his sofa which is harder was and vice versa. I did say it would mean we'd have to swap places on a night but of course that hasn't happened so I come back in from the washing up etc to find him sprawled in my lovely comfy corner and I end up sitting bolt upright on the other one - last night the cat had even taken that seat! We also moved the table that was at the side of him and which was piled with papers, his phones, the remotes, his 4 or 5 pairs of glasses, his iPad, and all the cables not to mention the crumbs that accumulated around it so now he's reduced to a tiny stand that only holds his glasses - the rest is in the drawer of the table we moved but at least it's out of sight grin No doubt my desk causes him as much angst but at least it's MY mess!

Liz46 Wed 22-Nov-17 11:25:45

My (very sensible and hard working) daughter had a good moan to me about her husband not doing anything around the home. I told her to write a list and stick it on the fridge door. It worked a treat and she said 'why haven't I done that before?'

MesMopTop, it sounds as though your husband needs jobs allocating to him that are his on a permanent basis. If you are working, he should have your dinner ready for you and then clear up afterwards.

My husband does the ironing, the vaccuming and we cook on alternate evenings. He is not very good at cleaning into corners and just doesn't see dust but hey ho, he's ok!

Eileen Wed 22-Nov-17 11:35:38

Perhaps that should read " get him to get a white board and pen"

Eloethan Wed 22-Nov-17 11:49:48

I don't think it is an inbuilt male thing. I think perhaps some men aren't so concerned about everything being just so - but that can probably apply to some women too. I do think women tend to feel more responsible for keeping on top of housework, whereas men tend to do things when they feel like doing them - a generalisation I know and of course not applicable to all men and all women. My husband is much quicker and more capable than me at getting chores done and organising things, once he sets his mind to it.

I'm sure it must be annoying to have to give directions to get help but, if it were me, I would write out a list rather than have to do it all myself.

But your posts did make me laugh MesMopTop, especially the tomato plants tied up like hostages. Thank you for that very funny image.