Gransnet forums

Relationships

How late is too late to start a family?

(55 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sat 06-Jan-18 20:29:30

I am so sad and anxious about my daughter. She is nearly 41 and like so many of her generation has put career first and , whilst always wanting to have a family, believed she could leave it until she was 40 years old. Two years ago she met and fell in love with a wonderful and loving man, already a father of 2 and divorced. He is devoted to his daughters and she has fully shared in that side of his life believing that they would have children together and create an extended family. He has now said he doesn't want to have another child at nearly 50 and she is absolutely devastated. I can understand both sides. They are both heart broken at the thought of separating but can't see a way forward together now. She is seeing a counsellor but has lost so much weight and cries so much which is so unlike how she used to be.
I know that things can change suddenly and unexpectedly but I worry now whenever I haven't heard from her for a few days (I live a long way away) and try to keep in touch lightly and not anxiously as I don't want her to feel pressure from me to keep in touch all the time. We are very close and she confides in me about everything and I have learnt to listen and be non judgemental.
Of course, many women struggle with not having children or not being able to get pregnant. I think she is struggling with a deep sense of rejection and hurt and I really don't know what to say to comfort her other than we love her very much and are always here for her.

annsixty Sat 06-Jan-18 20:54:57

I feel deeply for your daughter and for you but can give no help as I suspect no-one else can.
It is up to your D as to whether she can live without having s family or if she loves her partner more.
It is not a decision I would like to make.
Just support her in any decision she makes.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Jan-18 21:09:40

You can't do anything else Silverlining except to tell her how much you love her and that you're there for her.

Only she can decide now what she really wants - I don't know if he will change his mind but if she doesn't make a decision soon then the decision will probably be made for her as her biological clock will dictate.
It's a pity he didn't tell her this two years ago before they became so involved.

50 is not too late - but that is his decision to make too.

Cherrytree59 Sat 06-Jan-18 21:23:20

Silverlining If separation is inevitable, would your DD be open to the idea of becoming a single parent?

Fennel Sat 06-Jan-18 21:24:35

My sympathies too, Silverlining she sounds so much like my eldest daughter who has broken my heart many times because of similar worries.
Can't go into details on here.

grannyactivist Sat 06-Jan-18 21:27:50

When my daughter and her husband married they agreed not to have children. Fast forward ten years to when my daughter was nearing forty and it suddenly became the most important thing in her life to have a baby - she gave my son-in-law time to get used to the idea and didn't rush it, but was mightily relieved when he came home from work one day and presented her with a box of folic acid tablets. Their daughter was born extremely prematurely; some of you may remember her life was in the balance many times, but she is now a delightful two and a half year old and my daughter shudders to think that she almost missed out on being a mother.
I'm afraid your daughter needs to prioritize whether her current relationship or being a mother is most important to her. sad

OldMeg Sat 06-Jan-18 22:26:35

I know it’s their choice, but I do think these young women should think very carefully before they assume they can easily conceive and give birth to a healthy baby so late in their lives. It’s not the having of ‘it’ so much as the belief that it will happen easily and naturally.

I’m hearing more and more stories of women who have ‘left it too late’ sad

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Jan-18 22:32:27

You can't tell them though, OldMeg
They have been led by the media to believe they can have it all and it doesn't always work out that way.
sad

Grannyknot Sat 06-Jan-18 22:33:27

But GA what if Silver's daughter decides being a mother is more important, leaves her husband and then cannot fall pregnant? It really is a dilemma.

I understand the sadness BTW. I have a 39 year old daughter who has fertility problems - undiagnosed endometriosis for many years despite her insistence that she was not "just having heavy periods". They are very clear though that IVF is not something they want to pursue.

What did John Lennon say? Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Jan-18 22:36:38

OldMeg indeed. I was in company years ago where I said I wished my daughter could meet someone and have the baby she so wanted at that time. She was 28. I was given short shrift by another woman in the group who told me not to be ridiculous, that she had "plenty of time for babies". 10 years on, that time has, I fear, run out.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jan-18 22:39:42

I have no further advice but feel for your daughter and yourself its a bad dilemma just a shame they didn’t talk about it earlier Would he not want her to be happy ? If he loves her as much as she believes wouldn’t he allow her this one happiness after all he has his own two girls I find it a bit selfish to be so controlling about this

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jan-18 22:46:40

Well, I have to say I can see why somebody wouldn't want to spend their 50s with a baby.
I have a friend in a similar situation. Her partner is in his mid twenties now, but she is 40. She wants a child, he has said from the outset that he doesn't. The relationship limps along for a while before the issue comes up again. Its a shame, but its too big a deal to be pushed into either having a child, or not having one.

Silverlining47 Sat 06-Jan-18 22:53:00

Cherrytree, I asked her the same question. She said that she wants a'family' not just a baby. Having bought her up as a single mum I felt slightly sad but she has always insisted she'd had a very happy childhood.
Bluebelle, I have to admit I feel this too but try to remain neutral and non judgemental when she tells me.

mumofmadboys Sat 06-Jan-18 23:32:22

At nearly 41 her chances of having a healthy baby are much reduced anyway sadly. If her relationship split up and she met someone else she may well find she cannot have children. Hope she makes the right decision

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 06-Jan-18 23:33:20

BlueBelle I don't think it's selfish at all, but agree it is a shame that a conversation about children wasn't had in the early stages of the relationship. Perhaps it was though because Silverlining said 'He has now said he doesn't want to have another child at nearly 50...', which could mean he's changed his mind.

I don't mean grilling each other about the subject, but if I was nearly 40 and wanted a child of my own, I think I would have raised the subject some how. Then again, if things were wonderful maybe I wouldn't want to jinx things.

It's a sad situation and I feel for you Silverlining. flowers

Christinefrance Sun 07-Jan-18 12:26:38

All you can do is support your daughter whatever she decides silverlining I can understand both points of view here, its just a shame they did not talk about this earlier.
I hope things work out for all of you.

morethan2 Sun 07-Jan-18 13:10:34

I’ve got no advice and I can see her partners point of view, but oh the longing for a baby runs so deep. It must be hard for her and for you having to see your daughter so distress.

Starlady Sun 07-Jan-18 13:16:54

I feel for you, Silverlinings and your dd, as well. I understand why you worry about her.

But as others have said, there's not much you can do but love and support her. She's the one who'll have to decide whether to give up this man and the 2 girls she has become so involved with or stay with him and give up the idea of having a child of her own.

But it's not just that "simple" choice, is it? If she gives him up, there's no guarantee she'll find someone else who wants a child at this late date in life or that she'll be able to easily get pregnant. Like OldMeg, I hear more and more stories of women who put off childbearing until it's "too late." They're told it's "never too late," but for some women it is.

She can still probably have what she wants, however, if she's willing to be flexible. As a pp said, would she be willing to be a single mom? Would she adopt a baby who needs a parent and raise him/her on her own? But that would mean leaving her love, so we're back to that first choice that she needs to make.

Wishing her - and you - all the best!

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 13:20:46

The question was how late is too late.
My son was told on his 50th birthday that he was going to be a dad. His wife will be forty this year.
They now have a four month old son and are both besotted, as are his sisters who could both be considered old enough to be his mum.
Admittedly he may not be playing football with his son in ten years time, but he will be able to teach him to play any musical instrument he wants to!

grannysyb Sun 07-Jan-18 14:46:49

I'm sick of the media saying "freeze your eggs" its not that simple, look at the statistics for egg freezing and IVF. Sadly many women believe it's easy to conceive, unfortunately the older you are the harder it is.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:49:59

Yes, a member of my family is in his fifties and a Dad to young children - a brilliant Dad I should add.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:51:56

Although the man in the OP already has children - how old are they? Perhaps he feels he can't 'start again' whereas my family member was 'starting a family' having not been married before.

Silverlining47 Sun 07-Jan-18 15:12:14

You are right Jalima. I understand he feels he can't start again. His youngest is a teenager.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jan-18 16:47:29

My newest grandson's sisters are 24 and 18, so having teenage children should not preclude having a baby with a new wife.
Is that a reason or just an excuse?
Not that I suggest you ask.
Just think of all the 50 and 60 year old celebrities whose wives have babies .

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 16:51:15

I hope he has a change of mind Silverlining
How happy does Ronnie look in this picture!