Gransnet forums

Relationships

Really really sad

(178 Posts)
crazyH Thu 25-Jan-18 12:36:57

I am heartbroken today. Bear with me when I tell you my story.....about 20 years ago, I divorced due to my husband's affair and they are married now. I have 3 AC , a daughter and 2 sons. Daughter has 2 teenage children. My sons got married recently and have 2 year olds and a baby. Yesterday I was babysitting one of the toddlers and to my shock he referred my ex husband's wife as "Nanna"... I told him I was "Nanna" and in his baby language said, "no 2 Nannas"... I have always been Nanna and it hurts so bad.
My 2 DILs are very, very friendly with my exhusband's wife and I think they are behind this. I feel so betrayed. My sons could have insisted that she is called either grandma or granny, anything except "Nanna" . I don't know whether I'm over-reacting, but I am so hurt......the problem is , all of us live in the same area ......so bdays, and other celebrations become so stressful. I feel like re-settling as far away from family as possible. I don't think I can carry on much longer when I am experiencing such disloyalty .
What do you ladies think ?

icanhandthemback Tue 13-Feb-18 11:17:26

123flump, I quite agree!

Alexa Tue 13-Feb-18 12:59:19

Icnahandthemback wrote:

"Alexa, isn't it a bit archaic to accord first wives a certain privilege to a second wife?" Yes, it is old fashioned I do agree, and I gather that Flump thinks so too. The justification is that nobody should be allowed to feel left out and abandoned by loved ones especially by blood relatives. and nobody should be allowed to feel abandined and betrayed because they are old. I am modern in quite a lot of ways, however I do support the status ascribed to age and close kin.
It may sometimes be that blood relations are horrible people but if so their descendants should not deny that they exist or existed.