Gransnet forums

Relationships

I am petrified

(160 Posts)
Rolande Thu 22-Feb-18 12:10:34

My husband passed away over a year ago. I had been caring for him for seven years. He had a rare form of cancer.
Few weeks ago, on Gransnet I saw a post about online dating. After talking with DD and DIL, I thought, OK, lets try.
To cut a long story short, I have been chatting with some one that seems really nice and we are meeting this week end.
I am simply petrified! Not of being murdered grin, but DATING... What have I let myself in to!!
So Gransnet friends, advice.
We're meeting in a pub for lunch. What do I wear? Do we shake hands when we meet? What if I don't like him? What if his table manners are awful? Is that important or not? I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof! Help!!

MawBroon Fri 02-Mar-18 08:44:35

Even so kittylester.
It all sounded very plausible until the pub lunch lasted 24 hours - and not even the excuse of being snowed in last weekend!
I don’t know together Rolande is too embarrassed to comment further or whether her silence has other reasons, but I will stick my neck out now and say it was, at best, unwise behaviour.

DanniRae Fri 02-Mar-18 11:28:33

I felt a while back that this was someone's fantasy. Oh well it entertained us all for a few hours, didn't it?
If I'm wrong I apologise to Rolande but agree with MawBroon about it being unwise behaviour.

yggdrasil Fri 02-Mar-18 13:06:21

On another thread, someone was asking if 65 was ok to have given up on sex. I didn't answer there, but it amazed me. 65 is no age at all.
I don't see this as a wind-up, just a woman who wanted something she had been missing.
If she felt ok to take this man to her bed, that is her business and I wish her more enjoyment. If she has stopped posting here, it is probably because she is not believed

holdingontometeeth Fri 09-Mar-18 11:12:37

Behaviours have changed in our lifetime.
Women in younger generations than ours are now the front runners in relationships and rightly so after their forebears had to accept male domination.
I suppose that you could think Rolande's post is a wind up, but I took it at face value, and still do.
If it is a wind up, it has still made me smile.
Live and let live.

Alexa Fri 09-Mar-18 11:48:57

It is just too bad that a woman cannot give a man a bed for the night without being accused of naivete or running a knocking shop!

I'd be too prudent to do this for a stranger, although I do feel guilty about having a spare bed when someone is homeless on the street.

Alexa Fri 09-Mar-18 11:53:54

PS if Rolande did in fact meet a man worth taking to bed with her she is very lucky, there are few such men ,and the risks may have been worthwhile even on such short acquaintance.

crazyH Fri 09-Mar-18 12:12:42

I too feel guilty about having spare bedrooms, when there are so many homeless people sleeping rough especially during the recent bitter cold weather.

starbird Fri 09-Mar-18 12:37:54

I think if you meet someone for lunch and hit it off, and maybe, being two lonely people are talking two to a dozen and feel very comfortable with each other, and don’t want the afternoon to end, so it leads to dinner and presumably some alcohol was imbibed (but obviously not too much) but maybe too much for someone to drive, then if it ends up in the same bed by mutual choice and that presumably is not a total disaster because he did not rush home but stayed for brunch perhaps, then what is wrong with that at our age? Sure it would be nice to be more careful and go to a hotel, not giving away where you live, but if money is short that may not be easy. It may not be something I would do but what normal single person who’s been alone for a while doesn’t long to feel some affectionate arms around them, and if that naturally leads to more, these days there aren’t really any constraints against it unless you have a strong religious Faith. Good luck to Rolande - I hope it will lead to a long and happy relationship if that’s what she wants, if not, no regrets, it was a bit of fun to look back on with a smile. The only downside is if somewhere down the line one party gets emotionally attached and wants more from it than the other, but it should be easy enough for them to find out what the other is looking for if they haven’t already discussed it, and maybe they are both just open to seeing what happens with no pressures.

Fennel Fri 09-Mar-18 13:46:52

Good for you, Rolande smile. Sounds like you both had some fun and why not?
But keep your practical hat on.