Gransnet forums

Relationships

Potentailly awkward birthday party

(57 Posts)
silvercollie Fri 01-Jun-18 16:26:48

Just wondering how I am going to cope with a family celebration for my BIL’s 70th Birthday that his adult children have arranged. It is to be in a hotel some 120 miles from where I live and I will drive by myself to the Venue. But nowadays I find driving quite tiring having reached my mid seventies so I am already a bit strung out in anticipation of the journey, leave alone my main concern as follows:

The problem for me is my niece, my DS younger twin with whom I always had a close relationship. That is, until some years ago when we had a misunderstanding over an innocuous banter remark I made. During the ensuing email discussion she took major umbrage, accused me of emotional blackmail and decided ‘not to talk about it’ when I attempted to ask a few questions.

At the time she had just come to the end of her 10 year commitment to a part-time degree course, she so deserved the First Class Honours that was awarded. I tried apologizing. Tried to engage her in conversation and thought to drive to her home to talk about it. She lives over 100 miles away and her mother, my DS, banned me from doing this. ‘It is not an option’, I was severely told. DS was not prepared to discuss the matter either. Well, here we are five years later – how much time does DN need? I should say that I am a person that talks things through so that although agreement may not be reached at least both parties know from where the other person is coming.

Hence my wobbles about said birthday party for DN’s Dad for which there are less than twenty people invited. Unfortunately I have a bad anxiety problem and have little confidence so am likely to leave the party early if I get too upset. So I am very nervous about seeing my niece. Just to compound it all DS has ‘invited’ me to family lunch the following day. This sister (ten and a half years younger) is rather commanding so I am to do as I am ‘told’.

Fellow Gransnetters, how should I ‘play’ this one? Please?

travelsafar Fri 01-Jun-18 16:32:17

Families who would have them, maybe you touched a nerve when you said whatever it was, and it was a truthful one, people do not like the truth.I really feel for you and i hope it all pans out well, take care with your journey.

notanan2 Fri 01-Jun-18 16:39:31

TBH I probably wouldnt go and would do something 1:1 with BIL if we were close (and if not close enough for that then easy to turn down invite anyway)

Reason being, if I KNEW I wasnt going to enjoy it then I dont think it would be fair on anyone if I was there dragging down the mood.

I only accept invites that I can accept whole heartedly. Likewise, if I host I hope guests are either willing or decline.

as they say on MN an invite is not a summons

wildswan16 Fri 01-Jun-18 16:45:42

I would go and behave perfectly normally. Say a simple friendly "hello" to your niece and if she does not wish to talk to you then shrug your shoulders and leave her be. You have as much right to attend family events as anybody else. It would be such a shame to lose touch with the rest of your family just because of one grumpy young lady who should behave better.

Are you able to drive up the day before and find a bed for the night at a hotel or your relatives?

sodapop Fri 01-Jun-18 16:54:40

I agree with Wildswan if you can stay overnight that would make you feel more relaxed.
It would be a shame to miss the family event, you don't need to engage with your niece if she doesn't want to.
If this is causing major anxiety for you then driving is not the best option, can you travel any other way.

Doodle Fri 01-Jun-18 17:08:26

Presuming that your DS is married to your BIL and mother of your DN. If that is the case, then your DS must know of the problem between you and her daughter before you were invited to the birthday meal. As she's also invited you to lunch the following day, could this not just her attempt to heal the rift by getting the family together again.
If I were you I would go (and as others have suggested stay overnight) and just chat normally to everyone. Hope it goes well

cornishclio Fri 01-Jun-18 17:18:57

I would let the rift go and just attend the party and family meal and just behave normally. Maybe the comment touched a nerve and she just no longer wishes to discuss it. Respect that and move on even if you would prefer to discuss it.

Can you afford to get a long distance taxi (airport car) to take you to the venue? My mum is in her 80s and I keep telling her not to cope with the stress of driving long distances and let someone else drive her. She can afford it though so I guess this may be too expensive. Might be worth finding out though. Or train or coach?

Besstwishes Fri 01-Jun-18 17:47:41

TBH, I think that I would be in such a state with the stress of the long drive, plus not knowing what reception I would get when I arrived that I would probably not be able to go.
I think you’ve tried hard enough to patch up your differences. Stay at home, send profuse apologies and say that it’s just too far to travel.

Smileless2012 Fri 01-Jun-18 18:59:58

I agree with everyone who has suggested you go. Say 'hello' to your N and if she ignores you then let her get in with it.

Finding somewhere to stay over is a good idea.

I hope you go and enjoy yourself. Good luck.

M0nica Fri 01-Jun-18 21:58:27

Some upsets are best forgotten than aired and discussed. I am with wildswan. Go the event, say 'hallo' as if nothing has happened and then chat or move on, as circumstances dictate.

There will be nearly 18 other people you can talk to so if your niece is still residually hostile, you can easily avoid her. But it may be that it will be best for both of you to forgive and forget by saying nothing and acting normally.

agnurse Sat 02-Jun-18 02:59:59

I agree with going too, if you feel up to it. It sounds as if your niece is ignoring you more than attacking you. If she tries to start something you can just say "This isn't the time or the place".

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Jun-18 06:24:58

It sound to me as if there’s an attempt here to heal the rift. If you want it healed, take deep breaths, make the effort, and go. If not, don’t. It’s very easy though to make excuses and stay and home - and maybe regret it later. It all depends on how much you want to make up.

I agree with Wildswan and the others and Sodapop’s suggestion to stay over the night before sounds a good one. In all probability it’ll be a lovely family occasion. Five years is a long time and it’s a good opportunity to let by-gones be by-gones.

Willow500 Sat 02-Jun-18 06:34:55

I agree with the rest - go along, be your normal self and if your niece ignores you more fool her but it does sound as if they are holding out an olive branch so if so accept it.

As for driving all that distance I wouldn't even consider doing it in one day - it sounds as though you have to stay over anyway if you're going to sister's for lunch the following day so could you book the previous night too? Are you staying in the hotel itself? If so you can always retreat to your room for a quick break if it gets a bit too much.

I hope you enjoy the get together though - I love a good family 'do' smile

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jun-18 06:42:40

I agree with NfkDumpling and others they obviously want to heal the rift and you do really need to go with good vibes
Staying over is a good idea and is a train or coach a possibility being a non driver I can only imagine the stress of long distance driving
Life is very short as we get older, you need to see your family and obviously they want to see you or they wouldn’t have asked you BUT a warning they are obviously a family who don’t like to talk things through and you the opposite so please don’t bring anything up in an attempt to close or heal the past problem
Enjoy your brothers day no one knows how many are left x

janeainsworth Sat 02-Jun-18 06:51:03

I agree with wildswan and monica.
You say you tried to discuss things with your DN and DS - unfortunately sometimes discussing a problem and ‘having it out’, doesn’t mean listening to the person who is upset, it simply means reiterating one’s own point of view.
Least said, soonest mended, usually works better, imho.
Your DS and BiL obviously want you there or they wouldn’t have invited you, so go and be pleasant and don’t be tempted to talk about what happened 5 years ago.

janeainsworth Sat 02-Jun-18 06:52:08

Crossed posts bluebelle

Stansgran Sat 02-Jun-18 07:54:58

What distance do you feel happy driving? Decide on that and stay overnight then travel on. Or make it a mini break and find a Premier inn. I always think they are good value no frills.and let bygones be bygones.

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jun-18 08:33:13

So true Jane have poured my heart out about a very distressing family situation and his reply was to refute or deny the truth of what I had said and then spin a totally different line about him and his own point of view. No meeting in the middle, no acknowledgement of my pain. I was not heard. No help.
Hope the poster finds the advice here helpful. Is there no one she can go with so she woukd have some support.
Good luck.

wilygran Sat 02-Jun-18 09:23:31

I'm a coward now over driving long distances & have just decided not to even try it any more. The anxiety it gave me even at the planning stage ruined anticipation of even an enjoyable event! I now rely on train or plane (there are often cheap flights to/from most regional airports if you're flexible on flight times) Coaches are good too & very cheap. Anything that reduces the stress. If you take the advice to overnight in a comfortable place & have a less worrying journey, you can face the birthday celebrations. I bet you'll end up being glad you were brave enough to go. The thought of it is much worse than actually doing it! The others will have been so busy with their own lives during the past five years, that the old argument won't have the same importance for them as it does for you. Good luck!

Apricity Sat 02-Jun-18 09:45:19

You've been invited to the celebration. Surely this is a way of your sister's family saying "let's move on". Make whatever accommodation and travel arrangements you need to make to feel comfortable and safe but don't stay with your sister or her family. Don't push it.

At the party be gracious, smile, greet everyone courteously and be interested in what everyone is doing. Don't apologise and whatever you do "don't mention the war!" The party is neither the time nor place to discuss whatever happened. There may never be the right time or place, sometimes it's the moving on that is more important than nitpicking over who said what and the perceived wrongs of the past. What's more important, believing you were right/aggrieved/misunderstood or being part of your family again? If you don't go you risk throwing away the olive branch that has been extended, possibly forever. Enjoy the party and the welcome back to your family. ??

Jayelld Sat 02-Jun-18 09:50:26

My sister and I have no relationship whatsoever as adults and whenever we meet at family events I smile sweetly and politely ask how she is, the family and their holiday plans.
This drives her mad and amuses my brothers, and me?
I am also very good friends with her mother in law who let's my sis ter know we've met and chatted.
Go to the party, stay overnight, maybe a relative could put you up overnight or recommend a good reasonably priced b&b or small hotel, then enjoy your lunch. Maybe even stay a second night.
When you meet your nice smile and ask how she is etc, how's work, family etc and if she's stiff and awkward say something like, "I'm so glad you're happy, that means a lot to me, especially being here to help celebrate your Ds birthday with everyone" then walk away smiling and talk to others.
If she's holding a grudge, everyone will see you're being reasonable and pleasant.
And please look ay alternate transport ideas, train bus or relatives, to ease the strain.

harrysgran Sat 02-Jun-18 09:56:14

The long drive would put me off going as for the problem with DS if you go let it be her problem rise above it and be your normal self .However I decided that now I won't be accepting any invitations unless I really want to go as in the past I've accepted because I felt guilty or obligated to go this made me anxious and miserable so now I just give a polite no thank you

harrysgran Sat 02-Jun-18 09:57:30

Sorry meant DN problem

Hm999 Sat 02-Jun-18 10:11:34

As you're invited to lunch, you need an overnight stop. Personally, if affordable, I'd make that 2 nights or even 3. I love Airbnb as it's cheaper than a hotel, and you have a kitchen, and have never been disappointed. Go up Friday, come back Monday. I assume it's not possible to go by train or coach, even on a weekday? And there's no-one who could drive your car there, have a weekend away (with your car, it's fairly cheap to put someone on your fully comp car insurance) and drive you back?
Alternatively drive halfway there, and have an overnight stop.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Jun-18 10:16:09

I would be reluctant to go to something like this if it seemed to be more trouble that it was worth. It's not like it is five minutes away with therefore a quick getaway.
I'd just say that I was unable to attend and expand no further. If other people want to make a fuss that's their look-out. Stay firm and try not to get involved in any further arguments whilst remaining calm and polite. Easier said than done. It's up to you how you spend your time.