Gransnet forums

Relationships

Shopping with DH is a nightmare!!

(84 Posts)
evianers Thu 15-Nov-18 16:11:47

Not quite sure whether there is a specific section for this kind of message [rant]? but perhaps it will bring a smile to some of the participants' faces?
Going shopping with my OH is nothing short of a trial. Whereas I am busy buying meat, vegetables, joghurt, bread etc. DH is round the back of the sweeties shelves, and subsequently deposits biscuits, chocolate bars, muesli bars, sweets and crisps into the trolley when he thinks I am not watching. For this reason, he always insists on accompanying me. Many men would baulk at the suggestion of going shopping for groceries, but my OH loves it!!! Wonder why? Oh for being back at work again smile

nanaK54 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:14:47

I think your DH must be closely related to mine grin

M0nica Thu 15-Nov-18 16:17:32

Your turn to insist that doesn't accompany you!

If he wants to buy all those snacks, presumably for his consumption, he should go out and shop (and pay) for them himself.

Willow500 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:32:59

Mine likes grocery shopping for a similar reason - he always pays so I happily let him grin

merlotgran Thu 15-Nov-18 16:35:46

Have you warned him about type2 diabetes? grin

aggie Thu 15-Nov-18 16:39:04

Have you tried unloading the unwanted sugary items before you get to the till wink

luluaugust Thu 15-Nov-18 16:44:03

I used to let this go in the interests of a peaceful? shop, however, I now do remark on what is going in the trolley and about half reluctantly goes back. Worth a try but harder work.

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Nov-18 09:38:33

grinIt's like shopping with a small child isn't it evianers. I don't find Mr. S. too troublesome when we're super market shopping it's general shopping that drives me mad.

There's literally a look of sheer panic if I approach something and say 'isn't that lovely', especially if it's expensive, because he automatically assumes I'm going to buy it.

KatyK Fri 16-Nov-18 10:09:21

Mine examines everything I try to put in the trolley, picks up something similar and says 'this one's cheaper'. Drives me mad.

gulligranny Fri 16-Nov-18 11:16:20

I make sure I do the shopping when DH is involved with one of his various clubs/hobbies! If he does ever come with me we get two trolleys and he goes off with a list of wine/soft drinks/fruit juice requirements while I do the "proper" stuff. We pay separately but from our joint household account and meet up back at the car ready for a quick get-away. It works for us.

Izabella Fri 16-Nov-18 11:20:17

Not to mention the cost of such things.

Luckygirl Fri 16-Nov-18 13:45:20

I cannot remember the last time I went shopping with my OH; it was so long ago. It was a nightmare for both of us so we stopped doing it.

sodapop Fri 16-Nov-18 13:55:32

My husband does all our food shopping so no complaints here, and he brings home my favourite chocolate.

Lisalou Fri 16-Nov-18 21:33:33

Aw, evianers, sounds just like my dad. Before he became ill, he always went shopping with my mum and was forever adding chocolates and sweets to the trolly!
At one stage, my mother broke her knee and Dad took over the shopping for about six or eight weeks. He would take her shopping list, and buy everything on it, religiously - and add about 50 % extra stuff in the shape of what he called "little treats". As my mother said, he was an absolute star during her period of being chair bound - but boy did he increase the grocery bills!!! grin

carpedeum Sat 17-Nov-18 09:08:04

I’d give the world for my late DH to be sneaking goodies into my trolley. Just smile to yourself and edit the store cupboard when you return home.

BRedhead59 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:10:16

What about other shopping? I get "what do you want to buy in here"? Obviously, I don't know until I've looked.
We are fruit and berry pickers they are mammoth killers.

travelsafar Sat 17-Nov-18 09:12:12

evianers this would be my husband smile he always says if ever i couldn,t do the weekly shop he would be able to, i chuckled and he said yes, i would just buy bananas, biscuits teabags and milk what more do you want!!!

Millbrook Sat 17-Nov-18 09:14:46

Just wondering what a thread called ‘Shopping with DW is a nightmare’ would look like.....??

Gma29 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:17:43

Apart from a few trips when we first married, as I didn’t drive, I don’t think my OH has ever been grocery shopping with me!

Grampie Sat 17-Nov-18 09:22:38

Us men don’t shop. We figure out what we want and then we buy it and the chances are we will not return it.

Shopping means returning unwanted purchases, lots of browsing, nearly putting things back, gathering an armful of goodies, checking out with a few smart carrier bags and taking the items home (Hubbie May Help with this).

Then the shopper tries on these items creating a pile to return on the next shopping trip.

Not a delight for buyers (or sellers).

Cabbie21 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:26:27

We never shop together now.
In the past, he would grab the trolley and disappear for items he wanted, leaving me with an armful of goods. No way.
Since we retired, DH chooses to do the shopping: daily for the paper and milk, weekly for the meatfrom the butcher, tools from the baker, veg from the greengrocer and anything else from co-op. He seems to enjoy it, or maybe he considers it his way of getting what he wants to eat.

We top up from Aldi as required, separately again. About once every six weeks I go to Morrison’s for a big stock up of non- perishables plus fresh fish.

Cabbie21 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:27:30

Rolls from the baker, not tools.!

Oldwoman70 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:27:36

My DH never came shopping with me - the very thought of it would horrify him!

Grampie I think the OP was referring to grocery shopping rather than clothes shopping.

rafichagran Sat 17-Nov-18 09:30:07

I have to say in defence of mine, (partner) he is the sensible one, fruit and veg ECT, it's me who likes the cakes, chocolate and biscuits.

Cabbie21 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:30:10

I hate “going shopping” for non food, and especially at this time of year. I feel overwhelmed with too much choice, or stuff I just don’t want or like or see the need for.