Gransnet forums

Relationships

passive agressive or is it me??

(81 Posts)
Namsnanny Tue 29-Jan-19 00:00:39

For the umpteenth time I'm sat here in a cloud of chemical perfume.

I have allergies to a great many things which include all modern cleaners especially if they have scent made from chemicals. Which leaves me sneezing, itchy eyes and with a huge headache.
So, when ever my h decides he's had enough of me he picks one of his many passive aggressive activities to let me know just how much!!

The above is one of his go to choices but here is a short version of some of the others:

* DIY ok useful enough hobby, but he doesn't start until
9 o'clock at night!!! Just when the decent telly gets going!
(and there isn't much of that either is there?)
Banging, sawing, drilling (yes electric drill) walking
in front of the TV with a 6ft long levelling contraption -
flicking his retractable tape measure in out, in out, in
out, in out............
Yeee Gods!!

* Cleaning something (that I've already cleaned!!) with the
strongest smelling product he can sneak into the house.
(No amount of pleading or explaining stops him
buying it believe me, I've tried Oh how I've tried!!)

* Breaking anything I like (I love stained glass).
Garden plant pots, vases, photos, anything, anything at
all.
The more I treasure it the more likely it will be broken!!

* The garden is a war zone. I cant do much anymore so I
have to rely on him, but pruning is a nightmare. I
explained how to prune Wisteria, took him a cup of tea
and watched every snipity snip he made for an hour
and a half. Went to answer the phone, came back to find
all of next years shoots on the floor like 1 foot deep
confetti!!! Took 10+ years to get any flowers on it.
I'll be lucky if the poor thing flowers any time soon!!

Got a gazzilion more examples but don't want to waste your time anymore than I already have!!

Just want to vent and cool off smile.

Anyway think of me scouring the back of the kitchen cabinets tonight, looking for rogue bottles of kitchen cleaner, or hiding the retractable tape measure, I wonder if I can think of a good place .........hummmmmmm?????(wink)

Heyho exciting life I lead eh??!! (grin)

GabriellaG54 Tue 29-Jan-19 10:54:18

Any normal person would realise that doing exercises between the tv and the person watching it is not on. There is no mistaking what you do, such as changing tv channels when the other person in the room is clearly watching it.
It isn't forgetfulness or any other excuse. Sitting rooms are not so large that you're unaware of anyone else being there.
I've no idea why anyone puts up with that sort of behaviour. You only get one life.

Mapleleaf Tue 29-Jan-19 11:00:07

I’m wondering the same as Maryhoffman37
His behaviour, if it’s as you describe, is totally out of order and unacceptable.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 11:05:25

Ask him to stop walking in front of the tv. Easy enough. See how that goes. Close the door whilst he’s drilling and turn up the volume of the set really loud. As for the breakages could they be accidental?

M0nica Tue 29-Jan-19 11:09:08

None of this mans actions are 'accidental', possibly caused by dyspraxia (I am dyspraxic, I know, I do more damage to myself than to my environment and any damage is not limited to the things my partner most likes and treasures), nor is it thoughtlessness that he only does DIY when he has jobs where he can disrupt your TV watching.

You are in an abusive relationship and under the new law, his persistent actions, particularly triggering your allergies could be criminal.

Stop making a joke about his actions it. It isn't a joke.

BUT, you first need to sit down and have a good discussion with yourself. Why do you accept these abusive and intimidatory actions and why are you still in the relationship? Does your childhood or previous relationship background make you afraid to leave for any reason. Face up to those demons, if they are there and seek councilling.

If there are no demons. Sit this man down make it quite clear that his behaviour is unacceptable, it is intimidating and it could be considered abusive and criminal.

Then, give him a chance to explain what is happening and why. Is your behaviour driving him to this behaviour. Lets face it standing over someone for an hour as they carefully prune a wisteria to your exact instructions is enough to drive anyone to hack all the wrong bits as soon as an opportunity comes. Are you over controlling and constantly supervising him and running his efforts down. You need to ask yourself these questions and you may not like the answers. You also need to listen to his answers.

On the face of it this is an abusive relationship, but I just wonder whether you have contributed to it.

moleswife Tue 29-Jan-19 11:21:32

How wonderful that you have a good sense of humour.
However, are these new behaviours or has he always been like it? If he's always been that way - congratulations on coping! But if it's new could it be the start of dementia? It isn't just presenting with forgetfullness, so perhaps your doctor might advise you?
Good luck!

Greciangirl Tue 29-Jan-19 11:25:17

Good questions from some of the grans.

Why are you still with him.

Why don’t you divorce him.

Do you still love him?

Carolina55 Tue 29-Jan-19 11:41:07

By all appearances you are an enabler - if you didn’t accept this kind of behaviour, it wouldn’t still be happening to you....because you would have moved on.

inishowen Tue 29-Jan-19 11:58:08

When I was suffering from night sweats due to the menopause I wanted to have a window open at night. Hubby would complain bitterly that he could hear the traffic. (We live in an area that might have a car pass by every half hour) Now the menopause is over he couldn't care less whether the window is open or not. Another really annoying thing is he takes phonecalls in the evening while sitting right beside me. As soon as the phone rings he says "turn that down" meaning the tv. It would never occur to him to take his calls in another room. Grrr....

ginny Tue 29-Jan-19 12:12:53

I do hope the OP is tongue in cheek. Why would anyone put up with that sort of behaviour ?

midgey Tue 29-Jan-19 12:20:35

Name nanny is still with the awkward blighter because she married him! Presumably she might accept that (very rarely) she might be less than a joy to live with!

midgey Tue 29-Jan-19 12:21:20

Namsnanny -sorry about autocorrect.

paddyann Tue 29-Jan-19 12:41:22

Is he a night person? My OH often does wee jobs around the house late at night ,including shampooing carpets and painting walls.Well nobody will brush against paint overnight or walk on damp carpets will they.
There may well be a perfectly reasonablt explanation for this so why think he's doing it deliberately ?I'm sure there are many on here who would love a man who did DIY whatever the time ...and TV programmes can be recorded

Davidhs Tue 29-Jan-19 12:57:32

I’m simply astounded by some of these replies, Namsnanny sounds very restricted physically and her husband is her carer , if not actual carer then close to it. There is obviously a fair degree of frustration no doubt on both sides, but how on earth do you think kicking him out is going to help.
So she kicks him out and divorces him, he takes half the assets and all his caring time, he is free of obligation. She is stuck on her own relying on and paying for whatever caring she can get, probably the house has to be sold and new housing found.

All because he did not prune the Wisteria correctly.

jenpax Tue 29-Jan-19 12:58:31

This sounded abusive to me too! Not tongue in cheek I am concerned to read this post, I really am

Chucky Tue 29-Jan-19 13:30:30

When I have asked dh to do things, he invariably does it wrong. I have always suspected that he was like this so I wouldn’t ask again, after the job was twice as hard, having to undo his work before doing it the way I wanted. I have never thought I was unreasonable (think, couldn’t open old sash windows, so he painted them shut!! Then I have to remove new paint, force windows open and repaint, meaning half hour job takes all afternoon).
Other things, such as painting ceilings. Complain that the old colour is still very much showing through, he says “well I’ve given it 2 coats”, but less than half tin of paint used!!
Unfortunately, like yourself op, I am no longer well enough to do as much as I used to, so garden too is a disaster, with pruning meaning plants destroyed!
Why do we stay with them, is it because we have nowhere else to go, or in my case (and also suspect in yours) we still love them no matter what!

crazyH Tue 29-Jan-19 13:33:22

David is right.....
Namsnanny's post was tongue in cheek, and I don't think she would change him for the world.

Entirelyfading Tue 29-Jan-19 13:41:08

Attention seeking!! How could you watch TV and not focus on him? The pruning behaviour is a way of ensuring you don’t ask him again & because he knows you will react.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 13:41:33

I’m with you Davidhs on this. Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut ...

GoldenAge Tue 29-Jan-19 13:50:58

None of this is funny! Does he really take something which is precious to you and break it? This is the behaviour of a controlling bully. Why on earth are you allowing it to continue? Your self-esteem will eventually sink to the floor.

However, I must ask the question - what do you mean when you say 'whenever he's had enough of me'? What is it that you do that makes him so aggressive and can you bring all that out into the open? Sounds like it's a pretty miserable life you are leading.

LadyGracie Tue 29-Jan-19 14:06:16

He'd get a rather large flea in his ear and his marching orders from me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 29-Jan-19 14:18:40

He sounds a right pain in the backside, Namsnanny and I'm surprised you haven't shoved his tape measure where the sun don't shine.
Here's a little rhyme I found which may make you smile.

Sometimes it seems that things
get worse the harder that you try
You spray weedkiller daily, the nettles grow knee high.
You promise treacle pudding and find you're out of flour,
put extra sugar in his tea and still his face is sour.
Well, when the world's so back to front
then that's how you should be.
Try sugaring the nettles, try poisoning his tea.

I'm not suggesting that you really do this but at least you can enjoy the fantasy.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 29-Jan-19 14:19:19

This is abusive behaviour believe me and you don't have to put up with it. I would seriously leave him and enjoy a better life. You could try hiding all his diy tools or better still give them to a charity shop. But seriously its abusive.

Camelotclub Tue 29-Jan-19 14:53:12

I think you might need legal advice.

Nanny41 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:28:33

Saw on tv once, a prank someone put CHILLI powder in underpants,it could just slip into them," now how did that get there"
I am not usually cruel.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Jan-19 15:42:02

Inconsiderate oaf whether he can help it or not.