Gransnet forums

Relationships

The Duchess of Sussex and her father

(269 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sun 10-Feb-19 16:01:50

Read the latest in sad state of affairs between Meghan and her father today with sadness.

Her letter seemed so reasonable and made good points, her father has behaved in such an abominable way towards his daughter. Rather than pulling his head in after the stupid staged shots he was paid for, apologised and kept quiet till it all blew over he's dug his heels in and embarrassed her time and time again.

I'm not surprised her friends came out in support, even if she did direct it. Has the press no memory of how poor Diana and Fergie were berated and bullied? The idiot rags like the Daily Mail and the Sun are really going for it to make their money. I feel so sorry for her and hope it doesn't affect her pregnancy with all the stress.

I don't understand why the public seem to want her to reconcile with him. He obviously can't be trusted and she's wise to stay well clear, that side of the family is unhinged. Half brother with a DUI and domestic abuse, the other sister seems disturbed, her own daughter cut her off for goodness sakes and by the looks of it for good reason.

Harry was always my favourite, he's a bit older than my two children, but I always felt for him after Diana died. He was such a little mite behind the coffin.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 09:05:04

Yes he proposed three times, can it be she was unsure of marrying into the royal family , too shy perhaps?

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 09:12:18

Maybe she was just hoping for a better offer? confused

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 09:14:21

Surely not PECS, a better offer ? Heir to the throne perhaps?

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Feb-19 10:10:56

Lady Elizabeth was being courted at the same time by Albert's equerry, James Stuart, and it was widely noted in contemporary sources that Lady Elizabeth appeared to be in love with Stuart.

Following Albert's first unsuccessful proposal, Stuart suddenly left the Prince's service and popped up in the American oil industry, eventually marrying one of the Cavendishes.

Far be it from me to suggest that the Prince used his influence to dispatch his rival from the field.

Lady Elizabeth was also openly concerned about the stifling nature of life in the early 20th Century Royal Family and reluctant to take it on.

Albert was however clearly devoted to her and successful on his third attempt at proposing.

Refusing the second in line to the throne once, never mind three times, showed a considerable strength of character for someone of Lady Elizabeth's class at that point in time. Of course, she later became renowned for this strength of character and by all accounts, she and Bertie enjoyed a very happy and successful marriage.

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 10:25:06

No doubt the QM was a very assertive woman who knew her own mind.

M0nica Mon 18-Feb-19 17:53:37

Muffin, I think it is generally known that James Stuart was moved on, whether by Royal decree, or whether he was asked to 'lay down his (potential) wife for his country' and b***er off, is not clear.

Anyway when Lady E married Prince Albert, he was Duke of York and had no expectation at all of becoming monarch. I think she disliked the prospect of becoming the monarchs consort, when it arose for both herself and her husband and daughters.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 18:01:07

Does Hugo Vickers lie ?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/sep/15/tanya-gold-queen-mother

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Feb-19 18:33:28

I think she was spiteful and bitchy and have never been able to see why people generally thought she was a sweet little old lady.

She blamed the abdication for her husband's death. It wasn't the chain-smoking that gave him lung cancer then??

She spent money like water and was millions in the red with (I think) Coutts Bank when she died, which the Queen had to settle. What did she ever do for charities? What legacy did she leave?

The only thing in her favour imo is that she kept an eye on Prince Charles during his childhood when he was not close to his parents.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 18:41:04

She married poor Albert when Edward wasn’t interested in her , she reaped revenge against Wallis , why stop Wallis having a title, it was a dear wish of Edward’s that his wife would be HRH, what did the country gain by denying him this wish . He had to leave the U.K. it was brutal .

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Feb-19 18:49:17

I agree Annie (that must be a first .... joke grin )

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 19:08:10

Sparkle we not only agree but agree on a Windsor ?

I have always felt so sorry for Edward, what a lonely life he lived

PECS Mon 18-Feb-19 19:23:23

He was a bloomin Nazi sympathiser Annie ..full of anti- Semitism!!

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 19:27:16

Was he PECS? Did he say so or was it reported in the press

Fennel Mon 18-Feb-19 19:38:00

Many of the hoi poloi admired Hitler pre war.
And what about the Mitfords?

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Feb-19 19:38:59

^Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 19:27:16
Was he PECS? Did he say so or was it reported in the press^

He was photographed shaking hands with Hitler.

Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 20:03:16

Does that prove he was a Nazi sympathiser and full of anti semetism?

Lily65 Mon 18-Feb-19 20:06:39

in a word, Yes.

Anja Mon 18-Feb-19 23:00:35

VIP guest: Surrounded by uniformed Nazi party officials and engineering chiefs, Edward gives a Nazi salute on an inspection of a coal mine during his tour of Germany in 1937

Anja Mon 18-Feb-19 23:09:32

Is this the photo you mean sparkle ?

merlotgran Mon 18-Feb-19 23:13:29

Wallis Simpson did us all a favour.

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Feb-19 08:47:07

Yes Anja

annsixty Tue 19-Feb-19 09:20:17

The Duchess is currently meeting friends in America.
A perfect opportunity to go and see her Father or invite him to visit her.

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Feb-19 11:41:51

New York is a long way from Mexico, the distance from about here (England) to Greece, so not round the corner.

icanhandthemback Tue 19-Feb-19 15:26:05

I don't think her relationship with her father is anything to do with us. If she chooses not to see him, it is her decision. I once made that decision myself and didn't feel I had to justify it to anyone.

Anniebach Tue 19-Feb-19 15:31:24

If she was estranged from her father I agree, but she wrote to him last year ‘ I have only ever loved, protected and defended you ‘

Doesn’t sound as if they were estranged