Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do you have many friends?

(93 Posts)
GrannyOrNanny Mon 01-Apr-19 18:02:44

I have only two. One is a wonderful friend I made at school years ago and we catch up maybe twice a year. The second is an old work colleague who has since moved to Spain (lucky her) and I’ve only seen her twice in the last 12years.
I’d have to say my hubby is my best friend but I’m feeling left out when I hear work colleagues talk about their best friends, groups of friends and feel a bit ‘out of it all’. Husbands are great but some things they just don’t want to do, what whilst a friend would.

morethan2 Sat 11-May-19 10:15:34

I’ve had my eyes opened these last three years. I’ve always jumped to support and help my family and friends in times of trouble. Since my DiL was diagnosed with terminal cancer many of them not only haven’t offered any kind of support but have almost disappeared off the radar. The one friend who I hadn’t expected support from was in my house within hours and has been wonderful. I don’t know what I would have done without my sister. I’ve pondered why this is and I think it’s that they can’t cope with the upset and distress. To all of us that this has happened to remember it’s them not you. It hurt at first but not now, of course the friendships may rekindle in the future and that’ll be lovely but I won’t forget.

Anniebach Sat 11-May-19 10:19:08

Sara I don’t think there is after two years , I really don’t understand them, I am the eldest of five, have always been there for then, at different times in their lives two lived with me, one when her marriage was breaking down, one when she was homesick living away nursing and wanted to come home. And I am not a bossy older sister. I do know when my daughter was very ill I had a disagreement with a nephew for talking about my daughter on Facebook, I asked him to stop and leave my darling daughter her dignity. He was angry and I know he said some lies about me, I asked one sister why did she believe him, she texted and said ‘why would he lie ‘, this is a man who has cheated on two wives and two partners ! I asked her why she didn’t even contact me when my daughter died, her reply ? ‘I had my own grief to deal with ‘.

I so want to contact one sister but she had a heart bypass last year and I am too afraid to even email and say ‘hello’ it could upset her.

I have accepted things now but I do miss them so much.

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 10:31:51

Oh Annie, why don’t you drop her an email, the worst she can do is ignore it, it’s obvious you would want to protect your daughter from Facebook scrutiny, your nephew seems very insensitive, it just seems so sad for you to be alone, when your sisters are out there

Anniebach Sat 11-May-19 11:00:37

Sara have emailed youngest sister to tell her I was thinking of her on her birthday Thursday. I am 12 years older than her and when she was 2 our mother was very ill so I took care of youngest sister

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 11:04:43

Did she respond to your email Annie ?

Anniebach Sat 11-May-19 11:08:09

Not yet Sarah

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 11:19:23

Well I really hope she does, but if she doesn’t it’s her loss, you sound like you are a lovely sister

petra Sat 11-May-19 11:49:24

Grany
Sorry I didn't make that clear. I grew up in woolwich.
Opposite what was known as the 2nd Arsenal gate.

gillybob Sat 11-May-19 12:05:08

I don’t have any friends at all ( in real life ). I do miss having someone to share a problem with or go shopping . I have worked in an all male environment for almost 30 years which doesn’t help .

I did have a couple of “friends” years ago but found out eventually they weren’t really friends at all and each were using me as a kind of stop gap when one of them wasn’t available . I also realised that they both seemed to enjoy comparing their seemingly “perfect” lives, exotic holidays and homes with my not so wonderful situation . I just stopped being available and never saw either of them again.

Kandinsky Sat 11-May-19 12:18:19

No I don’t have any.
But that’s my choice as I’m quite anti social and get bored of people very quickly. Plus I found all the meeting up really tiresome. I’m a useless friend grin
I don’t need people I suppose?

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 12:25:34

I admit, I’m not good at those get togethers, when one of my children was at school, the mothers got together for lunch and a chat once a month, more like lunch and a bitch! Went to great lengths to get out of them, they probably had a good bitch about me then!

I like my friends in ones or twos!

Natgrannie Fri 17-May-19 21:45:56

I have a few friends, but lost a few along the way, maybe my own fault! I have a horse riding mate ( we have horses in a livery yard together) I have a gym buddy friend who lives by me, and a daughter and SIL, and that’s it, sometimes I feel lonely ☹️. I work alone in an office part time, but now I’m looking to volunteer which hopefully will bring a few more friends ?

ditzyme Tue 21-May-19 09:29:17

My best and oldest friends all live hours away as I have moved around and they haven't. I did have a close friend here - actually had two but discovered one was only using me for her own ends so we'll discount her. The other was a lady who was like a very special Aunt, older than me by twenty years or so, but we were on the same level, age made no difference. We spoke several times a week, had time together shopping, gardening, baking, laughing and sometimes crying too. Hers was the house - a delightful 100 year old cottage - I went to when I needed a respite from two teenage boys. She lived only 15 minutes drive away luckily. When she died of cancer many years ago, I was bereft, it was like losing my Mum all over again in a way. I would love to have a friend like her again, but being asocial, not being a joiner-in, there's little chance of that. Not that she can be replicated, and I consider my husband my best friend, but it's not the same as a close female friend is it?

Anniebach Tue 21-May-19 11:37:21

Sara I did have a reply from my youngest sister, I had told her I thought of her on her birthday, she replied she had thought of me and the letter I wrote her on her 60th birthday, I had told her all that happened in the family the day she was born, how excited we were. Then silence sgain so I have to accept it but so hard after over 60 years

Scentia Tue 21-May-19 12:27:42

I have many acquaintances, we have a busy social life, but in truth I don't consider them friends, even though I have known some of them for 20 years. I judge someone to be my friend if I would be willing to tell them anything, and all those people I see from day to day would not come in to that category.

I consider that I have 2 best friends and that is my Husband and my Daughter. They are the people I would prefer to spend my time with more than anyone.

To the outside world I look like I have loads of friends!

sodapop Tue 21-May-19 13:09:01

I have a lot of acquaintances but only a few close friends. My good friend unfortunately had an illness which has left her cognitively impaired but we can still share some memories of the past. I was an only child and am quite self sufficient now, if all else fails I can talk to my dogs.

sodapop Tue 21-May-19 13:13:13

Addendum - I would not be friendly to someone who calls me 'Granny' and yes I do realise this is Gransnet.