Gransnet forums

Relationships

not allowed to see grand daughter

(162 Posts)
nannytracey Mon 29-Apr-19 16:10:20

hi all i am new
i am looking for some advise about mediation . i have a lovely family. 6 beautiful grandchildren and unfortunately one of my daughters has stopped me from seeing my grand daughter , due to a new love in her life , and its awful , not only have i been stopped but the entire family so my grand daughter has lost her aunt's uncles cousins and me, i have tried every way to get communications back but nothings working,
so i went to cab and they have suggested i go down the mediation route any thoughts ?

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:20:06

all i wanted to do was just get back to normal we dont normally fall out

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:26:18

when i say pratting i mean just her normal self
singing dancing just normal happy gran daughter
i just thought it was a bit over the top
but i have learnt my lesson

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:34:28

it was my daughter who said it was ok to go round maybe he didnt want i really dont know
ive only met him on a couple of occasions
as he didnt really get involved in family before
i dont really know him
i only know bits my daughter told me
never got the opportunity to get to know him
as a family he was invited to family occasions
because of work commitments and things he didnt come

phoenix Fri 03-May-19 18:41:10

Not happy about this..........

westerlywind Fri 03-May-19 20:35:39

What is making you unhappy Phoenix?

BettyWhite Fri 03-May-19 20:39:27

Ugh, ok so it sounds like your granddaughter was being a normal silly child and accidentally stepped on his toe. It also sounds like the BF majorly overreacted by disciplining so harshly for an accident. I know it's hard to see your GD treated unfairly, but it's best to leave the discipline to the parental figures. Now you know not to interject.

You said you sent your daughter an email (right? Am I getting threads mixed up?) laying it all out there and she hasn't responded. What were the contents of the email? Did you plainly apologize for overstepping, or did you try to justify or defend your actions?

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 20:41:39

Odd, phoenix ??

Starlady Sat 04-May-19 01:00:09

"it was my daughter who said it was ok to go round maybe he didnt want i really "

This^^ is what I think. Not your fault. DD should have discussed it with him before she said yes. But I take it neither or you were used to her having a man in the house. Imo, everyone needed to adjust. Sorry they didn't realize that.

"i just said like hey calm down like theres no need for that "

I get why you said this^^^. He definitely seems to have overreacted. Unless he has asked gd to be more careful before and was reacting on that basis. It probably would haven been better if you hadn't tried to tell him how to act, but I'm sure you realize that now, hindsight is 20/20.

"notanan mentioned that i didnt sound like nan i sounded like a parent
and in alot of respects thats true."

Yes, I take it that in many ways you've been like another parent to gd. Plus, you say you're used to helping out with the discipline with all your gc and their parents welcome it. So I can see where it felt totally "normal" to you to step in when you felt bf was being too hard on gd. I really feel you were just being a loving gm doing what she's used to doing - and suddenly, it backfired on you! I am so, so sorry!

nannytracey Sat 04-May-19 17:28:27

yes thats exactly it
i was shocked
put my foot in it big time
with no intention of doing so
i cant really talk to kids about it as
i dont want to cause rifts
felt like i was going mad
so thankyou ladies
i feel better its off my chest
lets hope she might want her family again soon
thanks again

Joyfulnanna Sat 04-May-19 18:05:47

Good analysis starlady. I wish you all the best NT..I don't think what you did was in anyway wrong..have faith, they will come round..have a lovely weekend everyone..xx

nannytracey Sat 04-May-19 18:21:57

thankyou joyfulnanna you have a good weekend too x